Upper Potomac

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onthewater102 said:
wow that is some skinny water you guys are fishing - i'd be afraid of losing my lower unit or even my TM out there.

our boats dont have lower units...and ive ripped off a trolling motor last week :lol:

still on 'em. they are laying in the current around ledges now...

20150415_151304.jpg

Gorgeous smallie! Interesting how different the tail on that fish looks compared to the ones up in CT - looks elongated and taller...must come from living in fast water its whole life.

Awesome!!! Bass fishing in CT has taken a tailspin this year, days that were full of 2's and 3's with good ones running 5 or better are now decent if you break 2#'s at all and great if you see 3#'s.

its been a weird year here. LOTS of water all season long. Not complaining, as we've been able to run anywhere on the river all season long. This is #7 over 20" for me this year.

Cannot agree more Josh. Went out Friday and put 30+ in the boat. Out tonight and pulled 18 out. All went back in the water. Fishing has been **** good lately and plenty of water for this time of year.

It's nice having all this water in the river. Makes me less nervous when running the boat.

Josh knows how to get on the smallmouth!! Me, not so much :(

Been doing pretty good with the catfish though. I think the higher and muddier conditions have been helping out. Took my little brother Friday evening and he caught his first catfish. 5#10oz. channel. He was fired up!! I followed up later in the evening with a 12#10oz. flathead and right after an 11#4oz. flathead. Was a fun evening!!

IMG_20150710_171637_zpsaxplefma.jpg

ART_1436618585837_zpsyne3ysoh.jpg

still finding them. decided to stay local today since it was forcasted to be 108 heat index. fished until almost noon. 5 biggest today went almost 9 pounds. 3 of them today this size (17")

20150719_073627.jpg

Well the river has dropped about a foot and a half from two weeks ago but the fishing has been good. Put 20 Smallies in the boat today. None of any size but it was a good 4 hours. Banged our way up past McCoys Ferry, actually up was fine but coming down was a different story. Not sure how much longer we'll be able to do that.

Out again last night. Combined 35 in the boat between the two of us in 4 hours. Killing them just cannot find any of size. A lot of fun just not sure where the big boys and girls are.

Are you going after dark? I'm finding the early night bite (9pm-midnight) has been turning on later and later in these parts. Friday I'm going to try heading out at 4:30am to be on the water line wet by 5am & fish till 9:30 or 10 and see if I can't find a pre dawn/ early morning pattern which should be starting up now that we have the full moon setting by 4am.

best bet for bigger fish is to head way up river (hancock and above) or way down river (brunswick and below). this area gets hammered. Otherwise, wait until we get a BAD storm, and the water gets dirty and comes up a foot or so - then just throw a tube into every single current break you can find.

I've never fished above Hancock, how the levels this time of year? Much to worry about up there? Let me ask a different way, you still fishing up that way? I am not too scared of skinny water but dont like to push my luck if I don't have to.

fished there yesterday - had to idle most of the way and get out of the boat several times, and bumped multiple times, but the fish were cooperative. one of my Trolling motor battery died, so we left, stopped at napa to get another one, and went to snyders on the way home. did get another 20" bass, (#8 this year) but my photo hosting site is down. bigterp can verify though. :lol: