Upper Potomac

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was my understanding (confirmed through a few DNR officers) that the fishing licenses, etc go to maintaining/building the ramps, the NPS does not pay for the boating facilities, just the canal.

The ONLY way I would support any of this is if the government shuts down, the ramps and tow path remain open to the permit holders.

Im not saying you should support the proposed fee. I fish the Potomac yearround too and dont want to pay additional fees either. Im saying that it is a National Park Service fee and that none of the generated revenue goes to MD and withholding support from MD will not hurt the NPS.

MD DNR contributes significantly to boat ramp improvement projects Statewide, including the Potomac River ramps on the C&O Canal. The recent improvements to the Little Orleans and Point of Rocks boat ramps each exceeded $800,000. Project costs were split between federal Sport Fish Restoration Boating Access Grant funds and MD Waterway Improvement Funds. The Sport Fish Restoration Fund is derived from a federal excise taxes on fishing equipment and motorboat fuels. The State Waterway Improvement funds are generated by a 5 percent vessel excise tax paid when a boat is purchased and titled in Maryland. Fishing license money is mostly used to fund and and administer fisheries management.

so if the state of MD pays for these ramps, how can the NPS charge those who merely pass over the canal to access the river? We arent using the c&o, we are using the ramps we've already paid for.

In fairness, the NPS does take care of the routine maintenance such as snow removal, mud removal after floods, restroom service, grass mowing, etc.

muskyhntr said:
In fairness, the NPS does take care of the routine maintenance such as snow removal, mud removal after floods, restroom service, grass mowing, etc.

must not be fishing the same potomac as i am, multiple times we've had to shovel the ramps out to fish a week - three weeks after floods. But as stated, if they pass it, I wont be fishing in MD anymore. They should probably take that into account, since Im sure Im not the only one.

I have shoveled snow and mud and removed debris to launch as well. The ramps are not always taken care of as fast as we would like. By the way, the Potomac is in Maryland. As a WV resident you arent contributing to the Md waterway improvement fund and you aren't required to purchase a nonresident MD fishing license to fish the Potomac. I understand what your saying and I'm sure you are not alone, which is why I'm trying to point out that the National Park Service action has nothing to do with MD.

I'm aware Im not required to purchase a MD license to fish the Potomac, however, I always have before to basically "pay my fair share".

Believe I'll just buy my WV resident license and a daily VA non resident is $8 for the once or twice a year I fish below Harpers Ferry.

Those that fish the Potomac and appreciate fish management thank you for your prior support. Sorry to hear that because of the federal Park Service, you will no longer do so. Good luck in 2015.

Maybe the parks service should do what I am doing when I am experience a budget cut (aka their tax). Cut spending, or find other ways to maximize the available money I do have.

caught this one slowly dragging a 3.5" food chain tube on 1/4 oz draggin head in the slack water behind a big rock. 20" and put up a pretty awesome fight, jumped 6 times on 6 lb line. also caught 3 others between 14 - 16"

20150321_125008.jpg

20150321_125014.jpg

20150321_135034.jpg

20150321_110832.jpg

20150321_190630.jpg

wow that is some skinny water you guys are fishing - i'd be afraid of losing my lower unit or even my TM out there.

BigTerp said:
JoshKeller said:
no pics today, but caught 6 between 14 - 17" above hancock this morning before the wind started kicking.

Saw someone about 1/2 mile above the 522 bridge yesterday around noon. That you?

could have been, but we didnt fish any closer to the bridge than white rock pool.