12.30.10 - 12.31.10 Dale Hollow New Year's FNF Trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G3_Guy

Reaction score
Well we got back from our annual Dale Hollow pilgrimage around 7pm Friday evening. As always we had a great time and great fellowship but the weather and fishing were probably the worst I have ever experienced on that lake. We stayed at Eagle Cove Resort which is a great place we have stayed at numerous times. We were the only ones there for the weekend. Below is a breakdown of our weekend along with some pics and a link to the photo album. Thank the good Lord for allowing me to get out and enjoy everything he has given us.

2010-12-31142844.jpg

Day 1 (12.30.10)

Launched: 7:00am
Air temp: 28 Degrees
Water Temp: 39-42 Degrees
Weather: Cloudy and WINDY!

The wind blew all day long at 5-15 mph which made it extremely difficult to fish. On top of this the snow water had melted which cooled and raised the lake several feet.

Team G3 #1 (Brian & David) hooked up on 2 fish and was able to land 1 of them which was 16" long.

Team G3 #2 (Tony & Dad) hooked up on 4 fish and was able to land 3 of them. Of those they landed, their biggest for the day was 17" long.

All in all this was the best of the 3 days which at the time did not seem like it. The bite was slow after 10 a.m. and never really picked back up. We ended the day with 6 hook-ups between us and 4 fish between the 2 boats. Of the 13, there were 0-LM, 0-Spots, 3-SM and 1-LM on Day 1. All fish were caught on the FNF between 8-15' deep. All fish were caught on bluff walls with most fish coming up out of deeper water to take the lure. We called it a day around 3pm and decided to come in to eat and watch some football.

2010-12-30093025.jpg

Day 2 (12.31.10)

Launched: 7:00am
Air temp: 50 Degrees
Water Temp: 39-42 Degrees
Weather: Bluebird Skies and LOTS of wind (15-20MPH)

We were up at five to eat breakfast and then we headed out around 7:00. The day was sunny and started out calm. We were able to manage 3 nice fish on our first stop but after the first couple of hours, the wind picked up and never stopped. It was almost impossible to find a place out of the wind. We were able to squeak out 1 more fish before calling it a day around 1pm.

Team G3 #1 (Brian & David) hooked up on 4 fish and was able to land 4 of them. Of those we landed, our biggest for the day was 20" long and weighed 4lbs.

Team G3 #2 (Tony & Dad) hooked up on 4 fish and was able to land 3 of them. Of those they landed, their biggest for the day was 22" long and weighed 5lbs.

The high pressure moving in late morning made this a terrible day. We fought the white caps for 3 hours before calling it day and coming in to eat and watch football. We ended the day with 8 hook-ups between us and 7 fish between the 2 boats. Of the 7, there were 3-LM, 0-Spots & 4-SM on Day 2. All fish were caught on the FNF between 8-20' deep. Rock walls and the sides of deep points seemed to be the only pattern we could put together.

2010-12-31070941.jpg

2010-12-31075813.jpg

2010-12-31081445.jpg

2010-12-31103123.jpg

While this was probably the worst trip (fishing wise) we have had, it was still good to get back down to the Hollow. We had a great time and enjoyed lots fishing, food & fellowship! Thank the good Lord for a safe trip! Hope to go back sometime in February. If not, cant wait to get back down next year! Below is the link to see all the pics from our trip. I was able to get some cool pics of the ice before it melted Friday. Check it out.

https://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z136/G3_Guy/Fishing Pics/TN - Dale Hollow/Dec 31 2010/

God Bless & Good Fishing!

2010-12-31072407.jpg

Thanks Guys... always good to get to spend some time at the Hollow.

So when you moving down Jim? :)

I have only been to Dale Holow twice. Had a guide the first time and he convinved me the only to catch and Smallies was to fish at night.... We did catch some nice fish that night but nothing over 4lb...Next day we only caught a cold...Lake is almost to clear to fish for smallies in the daylight. at least for me..
Good fish, and it sounds like you had a great time.
Good friends always make the days on the water go better.
Peace
ron

Looks like a fun trip! :LOL2: I've been there twice, and stayed on houseboats both times. Both times were in June, which is far from ideal, but I found it a tough lake to fish. I'm looking forward to going back some day.