I messed up. SIX TIMES! Night fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Thought I would share my embarrassing fishing trip.
Decided to go night fishing for the first time on a lake I thought I had gotten to know a little.
1st. & 2nd. I planned the trip with a map and gps coordinates to fish so I could launch from a ramp and not get to far away from it since I only know the lake a little. Nothing wrong with that right.
1st -We got a late start.
2nd- It was a boat launch I haven’t used before and I didn’t take into account that the lake is 5 plus feet low. We got turned around at the gate.
This canceled all my gps spots with structure and cover and no back up plan.
We went to the place we had launched before and by the time we hit the water it was dark already. Idled over to a nearby island to a spot I’ve seen a bunch of folks fishing in the past. It was dark. I was using my light bar on the bow to navigate by only switching it on for a second. Figured out quickly that wasn’t enough I had to get out the spot light to keep my bearings also careful to not keep it on for long at a time. Didn’t want to blind the game warden and get a ticket.
3rd- I’m trying to navigate with a new little Garmin striker plus 4 that I haven’t learned how to operate yet completely. While idling a long I’m also watching depth because we kept going from 8’to15’ to 3’etc.
Got close to the island and I killed the outboard and got on the trolling motor. Watching the screen looking for a good spot to anchor and there it was looked just like a big brush pile down there and it was on a ledge that was 12’ dropped to 22’. We were so amazed at how clear it looked I didn’t grab the anchor in time and it disappeared off the screen. I tried backing up but with not being able to see gave me no land marks to go by. We ended up trolling for 30 minutes and couldn’t find it again to save our lives.
So we picked a drop off and set anchor. Turned on my little blue led courtesy lights I in installed so we could see inside the boat and they worked Just like I planned they didn’t attract bugs and didn’t blind our night vision a bit. But that bright a** stern light did.
4th- I also had bought and used for the first time a big green submersible led light. I dropped it over board And in 10 minutes I saw bait fish on the screen then saw ghost minnows swimming in the light. Now we brought minnows,worms, and goldfish because I didn’t have a chance to try and catch some bait. I casted the goldfish away from the light because I hear catfish don’t like light but will show up for the bait fish it attracts. Here’s number 4 we can’t buy a bite on anything. That light is set at 12’ deep and we saw fish on the screen and shad were now coming to the top swimming around goofy and beat up. Fish were feeding on the shad and nothing we had. AND I DID NOT bring a cast net!
5th time- We fished for a few hours the only other places I knew around that area I’m not going to try to find in the dark as shallow as the lake is and there’s rocks. So we finally decdecided around 1:00am we’d had enough so we pulled up everything organized it in the boat. And proceeded to head back to the launch idling back. I kept my eye on the screen and checked land marks with the spot light. We’re about 3/4 of the way back. I’m watching the screen then clicked on the spot light and LAND HO!
Thank God it was a sandy point. I threw the 1992 Yamaha in neutral then reversed but it was to late I beached the boat. We shoved back off with the paddle though and was on our way.
6th- I got us to the launch and the dock is sitting on the bank. But it’s sandy next to the ramp but there’s only one good spot you can pull up to shore without dragging the outboard.
AND I MISSED! This time really beaching the boat. I said I’m jumping out and getting the truck. My partner says we’re already feeling kind of cool and that water is 75 degrees and insisted we shove off again and try to hit the spot. That you can only see in the daylight. Finally got the boat off the sand. And this time I hit the spot backed the trailer in got in the boat and turned on every light I had. I lite up the whole parking lot beyond the trailer. Stabbed the boat perfectly.
No fish , feet cold while down rigging the boat for the road. Because of it being so shallow I ended up in the water anyway cranking the boat the final bit.
No telling how much sand I sucked up in the water pump. I took the cowling off a little while ago and the motor was covered in bugs. Carburetors leaked because I never went above idle the whole time. I need to flush the engine and run the fuel out of the outboard but first I have to clean the entire motor to get the bugs off. I clean that motor once a year then spray it with Fluid Film and it looks new for a year every time I remove the cowling to inspect it. Those bugs from the stern light got in there and stuck to the fluid film. And I know from all that idling it’s going to smoke like a train when I start it. And my neighbors are going to LOVE me. I decarbed it once here at home and never again.
I hope I didn’t hurt the shaft or the seals. I’ll find out when I take it to a little nearby lake and run it wot the way it likes to be run because it’ll vibrate if I messed up the shaft or the new prop.
Well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Oh and while I’m moving the boat back and forth to park it at 3:00am I have both windows down and could here clank every time I’d shift from reverse to forward and forward to reverse and I recognize that sound as soon as I heard it. Sure enough I check this morning and I have to replace three u joints on the truck.
That’s when I just came inside. I haven’t slept much and I’m tired and don’t want to take anymore chances today. While sitting here just thought I’d share.
This has in no way ended my fishing career.

I’m never comfortable with navigating at night. Gauging distance is hard and have used bright lights to ID shore locations. On cool nights the mist renders them useless. Retracing gps tracks is tricky too.

I’m never comfortable with navigating at night. Gauging distance is hard and have used bright lights to ID shore locations. On cool nights the mist renders them useless. Retracing gps tracks is tricky too.

Night or blinding fog is tricky and disorienting. I take it slow and easy just so I can hear someone before I see them.

soup.jpg

Night or blinding fog is tricky and disorienting. I take it slow and easy just so I can hear someone before I see them.

View attachment 117301
Idling is the only way for me. But my problem is my hearing isn’t that good and I’m sitting right next to the outboard where I can barely here someone talking front the front of the boat. I’ve seen those 4 strokes idle by and you can barley here those running.Also the white stern light is so bright my eyes never adjusted to seeing past the boat. While anchored next to the island I would have to hold my hand up to shade my eyes for a second if I want to see the island and we were close enough to it to throw something and hit it. My fishing partner was on the bow and could see the island just fine.
The light is short and is just a little higher than the outboard for it to be seen 360 degrees making it about even with my head. I’m wondering if I got I got one that sticks up a lot higher above my head when sitting in the boat is that would make a difference? And being right at the outboard the was it was I took the cowling off yesterday and had dead bugs all over the engine. Must have got under there through the rear vents on the cowling.

Last edited:
My rechargeable spot light doesn’t put out near as much light like my old plug in did (the kind that gets hot if you leave it on to long and measured by candlelight instead of lumens ). If I would have had that I don’t think I would have had a problem so I’m looking at getting one of those. They used to be inexpensive compared to the rechargeable with the lithium battery like I have now.
Since I haven’t figured out the new electronics I’ve been using the Navionics app on my phone and trying to fallow a route is tough. That little arrow keeps spinning in different directions. It dawned on me this morning I’ve been sitting the phone on the seat next to me while driving. I wonder if the way the phone is facing would make a difference. Next trip in the daylight I’m going to set the boat launch as a wrought station on the depth finder and see how hard it is to fallow it back.
On the way to the lake I used google maps in my truck. On the way home I looked at my fishing buddy and said why can’t my boat stuff give me directions like that. 😂

My rechargeable spot light doesn’t put out near as much light like my old plug in did (the kind that gets hot if you leave it on to long and measured by candlelight instead of lumens ). If I would have had that I don’t think I would have had a problem so I’m looking at getting one of those. They used to be inexpensive compared to the rechargeable with the lithium battery like I have now.
Since I haven’t figured out the new electronics I’ve been using the Navionics app on my phone and trying to fallow a route is tough. That little arrow keeps spinning in different directions. It dawned on me this morning I’ve been sitting the phone on the seat next to me while driving. I wonder if the way the phone is facing would make a difference. Next trip in the daylight I’m going to set the boat launch as a wrought station on the depth finder and see how hard it is to fallow it back.
On the way to the lake I used google maps in my truck. On the way home I looked at my fishing buddy and said why can’t my boat stuff give me directions like that. 😂

I have the Navionics map chip in my Humminbird FF. There is a setting to keep the boat icon always pointing to the top of the screen (I most commonly use that). I don't know if that is a Navionics or a Humminbird setting. I suspect the latter.

Way back, when we used to stay out all night on the Delta, we rigged an anchor light to our boat hook pole to get it up in the air. The telescoping boat hook pole fit in one of the gunnel rod holders. We tied the light off to the hook end and extend it up 6' or so. The actual anchor light was a Coleman lantern. Worked pretty good.

Ben there, done that. Like you said, I laugh about it now but at the time it was frustrating. :cool:
I still have to clean all the dead bugs off the outboard and run it to clear the carburetors because of all the idling I made the old 2 stroke do as well as flush to make sure all the sand is out. I’ll laugh more later. The Admiral is finally talking to me again today from staying up worried and she had to get up and go to work the next day.
But I was just a phone call or text away. 😂

I have the Navionics map chip in my Humminbird FF. There is a setting to keep the boat icon always pointing to the top of the screen (I most commonly use that). I don't know if that is a Navionics or a Humminbird setting. I suspect the latter.

Way back, when we used to stay out all night on the Delta, we rigged an anchor light to our boat hook pole to get it up in the air. The telescoping boat hook pole fit in one of the gunnel rod holders. We tied the light off to the hook end and extend it up 6' or so. The actual anchor light was a Coleman lantern. Worked pretty good.
I’ll look on the app. I haven’t tried using the gps on my little Garmin it may work just fine. I figured out how to set a weigh point so I’m going to try next time I launch which will ge about 2 weeks according to my mechanic.
I’ve got a never used paint roller telescoping extension and the know how to attach the light and wire it. There’s a rocket launcher rod holder attached to the transom next to the outboard.
From a distance the game warden is going to say just how big a boat is that? 😂

You'll find the GPS on that Garmin to be adequate. There is no "map" but it will show any waypoints you have created and previous tracks, just a very basic GPS function.

The track feature should be on by default, that can really help you as it will plot your departure route (theoretically when there is still some daylight and you can see), and you can then carefully follow it back on the return trip when it's dark. If it is not on, you can toggle on/off, and delete tracks in the settings.

There should be a button for dropping waypoints. Any time you run over something interesting, hit that button and you will always have that location saved, within a few feet. Many people also use marker buoys, find the spot, drop your buoy, back the boat off a little and go to fishing.

The biggest problem with such a small unit, it is really handy to run the GPS/2D sonar together in split screen, on a 4" unit the screens start to get pretty small when you do that.

Boating / fishing at night can be challenging, as others have described.

I've sailed (many different sailboats 20'-30' in length) at night on the ocean. I frequently sailed from San Pedro, CA to Catalina Island (SoCal) at night, but obviously the ocean is much larger than a lake and grounding is near nil in the open ocean. Hitting other boats or boats hitting you, is VERY possible! Be alert, have nav lights on, life jackets ON, and pray for NO fog! Many other safety items, but these are just a few.
I was comfortable sailing at night as it was much slower than a power boat, quiet, and with moonlight, it was magical. I never liked, and tried to avoid fog, at ALL times. Many times, it can not be avoided.
Preparation is KEY!

On our small tinnies...I am not comfortable being on the water at night, at least not by choice, for all of the reasons you and others have mentioned. Your trip may not sound successful, but it was. Why, no one was injured!

As far as flushing engine and other maintenance to outboard and truck...those can be repaired without too much fuss.

You gained much experience with that night trip. Your future trips will be much better.

KUDOS to you for not giving up and not letting the experience keep you away for what you enjoy doing.

You'll find the GPS on that Garmin to be adequate. There is no "map" but it will show any waypoints you have created and previous tracks, just a very basic GPS function.

The track feature should be on by default, that can really help you as it will plot your departure route (theoretically when there is still some daylight and you can see), and you can then carefully follow it back on the return trip when it's dark. If it is not on, you can toggle on/off, and delete tracks in the settings.

There should be a button for dropping waypoints. Any time you run over something interesting, hit that button and you will always have that location saved, within a few feet. Many people also use marker buoys, find the spot, drop your buoy, back the boat off a little and go to fishing.

The biggest problem with such a small unit, it is really handy to run the GPS/2D sonar together in split screen, on a 4" unit the screens start to get pretty small when you do that.
Thank you sir for the information. I have some buoy markers but didn’t have them handy. Did me a lot of good in the storage. The 4” screen is problematic for me. It’s currently mounted on an adjustable bracket attached to the gunnel half way between were I sit and drive the tiller and the front deck. This way I can turn it around to see from the bow while trolling. So it’s always about 5-6’ away. The other night I couldn’t read the numbers but I change the color selection to black and I could read it clear as a bell. I can have my partner sit there and mark those places though.
I’d like to play with the menu and settings here at home but I was told never turn it on when transducer is out of the water.
Looks like I need two on the boat, I have an old Lowrance X5 I could probably put on the bow but another Garmin would be ideal. Not sure about the Admiral giving approval I just went through my boat funds rebuilding it. Maybe a Christmas gift. 😆
Do you know if there’s a setting I can use to play with the plus 4 at home?

Last edited:
Boating / fishing at night can be challenging, as others have described.

I've sailed (many different sailboats 20'-30' in length) at night on the ocean. I frequently sailed from San Pedro, CA to Catalina Island (SoCal) at night, but obviously the ocean is much larger than a lake and grounding is near nil in the open ocean. Hitting other boats or boats hitting you, is VERY possible! Be alert, have nav lights on, life jackets ON, and pray for NO fog! Many other safety items, but these are just a few.
I was comfortable sailing at night as it was much slower than a power boat, quiet, and with moonlight, it was magical. I never liked, and tried to avoid fog, at ALL times. Many times, it can not be avoided.
Preparation is KEY!

On our small tinnies...I am not comfortable being on the water at night, at least not by choice, for all of the reasons you and others have mentioned. Your trip may not sound successful, but it was. Why, no one was injured!

As far as flushing engine and other maintenance to outboard and truck...those can be repaired without too much fuss.

You gained much experience with that night trip. Your future trips will be much better.

KUDOS to you for not giving up and not letting the experience keep you away for what you enjoy doing.
Thank you. My nav lights are bright leds. The anchor light especially bright as it kept me from keeping my vision focused. The island we where anchored close to looked like the night sky unless I shaded my eyes with my hand then after a few sec I could see it. My partner on the bow said he could see fine. The anchor light also defeated the purpose of the blue led courtesy lights I installed. They lite the inside of the boat nicely,didn’t attract bugs and didn’t affect our vision. I’m thinking of getting a taller anchor light a hope it’ll make a difference. This one is at head level when sitting down.
I keep a box in the boat that has head lamps,flashlight and battery powered lanterns for back ups.
We wear our life jackets 100% of the time. And never above idle with the outboard. My thinking is someone could be out there with dead batteries.
We saw one boat and it was a bass boat heading for the ramp. Went by us with boat up on plane traveling pretty fast with music loud and hopping and hollering. I’m thinking alcohol. It took their wake lass than 30 seconds to start rocking us. I never allow alcohol on my boat.
I learned at least three things for sure. I need a brighter spot light to keep my bearings and I might have seen that point if I wasn’t so far overdue to get my eyes tested and new glasses. I need to have a stern light that is above my head when I’m trying to drive. I’m left handed driving a tiller steer sitting on the starboard side right next to the light.
It’s just above the outboard and I think that also had something to due with it filling up with bugs. So the taller the better I think.
Thanks again for the kind words. I’m not giving up. But I’m going to wait until the water level comes up and leave extra early so we’ll have plenty of daylight to map a route. Meanwhile I have plenty of things to catch up on here at the house while the truck gets fixed and then I’ll keep going in the daytime. The weather in Texas has cooled to a very comfortable level and we can fish all day.

Thank you sir for the information. I have some buoy markers but didn’t have them handy. Did me a lot of good in the storage. The 4” screen is problematic for me. It’s currently mounted on an adjustable bracket attached to the gunnel half way between were I sit and drive the tiller and the front deck. This way I can turn it around to see from the bow while trolling. So it’s always about 5-6’ away. The other night I couldn’t read the numbers but I change the color selection to black and I could read it clear as a bell. I can have my partner sit there and mark those places though.
I’d like to play with the menu and settings here at home but I was told never turn it on when transducer is out of the water.
Looks like I need two on the boat, I have an old Lowrance X5 I could probably put on the bow but another Garmin would be ideal. Not sure about the Admiral giving approval I just went through my boat funds rebuilding it. Maybe a Christmas gift. 😆
Do you know if there’s a setting I can use to play with the plus 4 at home?

I have heard that as well but have never seen it cause an issue. I've had several transducers mounted on the trolling motor, always just left them on out of the water. I've also left them on overnight by accident and they were fine.

Still, if you wanted to play with it without a transducer connected, put it in demo mode.

Thank you. My nav lights are bright leds. The anchor light especially bright as it kept me from keeping my vision focused. The island we where anchored close to looked like the night sky unless I shaded my eyes with my hand then after a few sec I could see it. My partner on the bow said he could see fine. The anchor light also defeated the purpose of the blue led courtesy lights I installed. They lite the inside of the boat nicely,didn’t attract bugs and didn’t affect our vision. I’m thinking of getting a taller anchor light a hope it’ll make a difference. This one is at head level when sitting down.
I keep a box in the boat that has head lamps,flashlight and battery powered lanterns for back ups.
We wear our life jackets 100% of the time. And never above idle with the outboard. My thinking is someone could be out there with dead batteries.
We saw one boat and it was a bass boat heading for the ramp. Went by us with boat up on plane traveling pretty fast with music loud and hopping and hollering. I’m thinking alcohol. It took their wake lass than 30 seconds to start rocking us. I never allow alcohol on my boat.
I learned at least three things for sure. I need a brighter spot light to keep my bearings and I might have seen that point if I wasn’t so far overdue to get my eyes tested and new glasses. I need to have a stern light that is above my head when I’m trying to drive. I’m left handed driving a tiller steer sitting on the starboard side right next to the light.
It’s just above the outboard and I think that also had something to due with it filling up with bugs. So the taller the better I think.
Thanks again for the kind words. I’m not giving up. But I’m going to wait until the water level comes up and leave extra early so we’ll have plenty of daylight to map a route. Meanwhile I have plenty of things to catch up on here at the house while the truck gets fixed and then I’ll keep going in the daytime. The weather in Texas has cooled to a very comfortable level and we can fish all day.
Thanks for the post. When I get around to lights I will keep this in mind.You have saved me time and money on getting the lights right for night fishing.

Idling is the only way for me. But my problem is my hearing isn’t that good and I’m sitting right next to the outboard where I can barely here someone talking front the front of the boat. I’ve seen those 4 strokes idle by and you can barley here those running.

I don't worry as much about the other guys just idling along. We can say hello as we pass. It is the dummies with no sense cranking it up in limited visibility that keep me on my toes. Always good to have the air horn handy, not that those who most need to would be paying attention.

Thanks for the post. When I get around to lights I will keep this in mind.You have saved me time and money on getting the lights right for night fishing.
I have found some tall ones that also clam to reduce glare. I think it’s the way they’re made. The light is round shaped and looks like it’s sitting in a saucer. I could be wrong but I think it’s the bottom part of the globe bearing blocked preventing it from shining down. There may be something else to them that helps. But look for the one that say they reduce glare.
I also noticed they say visible two miles (they also say coast guard approved) and the other lights like mine are three miles. The regulations here say 2 miles.
Hope that helps you a little more. Good luck.

I have heard that as well but have never seen it cause an issue. I've had several transducers mounted on the trolling motor, always just left them on out of the water. I've also left them on overnight by accident and they were fine.

Still, if you wanted to play with it without a transducer connected, put it in demo mode.
I found some tutorials on my unit that a guy did. I’m on class 8. I think there’s 11 total. There’s another video he did that’s an hour and a half long he did going over everything again. He hasn’t mentioned it harming the transducer yet but did say to run simulation just connect the power.
After I get my truck from the shop I’m taking my boat to a nearby lake and bring an iPad with the videos and start setting it up different ways.
I’ve learned a lot so far and much of it I didn’t know the striker plus 4 could even do. No way I’ll remember it all until I use it.