12 footer, shallow v-hull, TM, connections...feeling STUPID

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plt3145

Reaction score
Read alot of posts on connections and set-ups! Talked with Minn Kota rep, read on-line info about AWG wire and circiut breakers and total distance of cable...still unsure!

Okay, that is out of my system, phew! No need working on my lil' floater if I can't get it to move, right? So here is what I got: 12 foot v-hull, 1980 Blue Fin, NEW 45# trollin motor, battery to be located close to bow-TM at transome, Minn Kota Power Center w/ 60 amp breaker, Minn Kota plug and receptacle rated up 8 AWG and can't decide on what size cable to use.

Minn Kota rep said I could use with no damage to TM 60 amp breaker, hence their battery box is under my Christmas tree. Is this correct? 45# TM pulls 42 amps...so says the rep. Is using a 50 amp breaker better or will I be okay? The thought was having breaker already installed on box is extremely convient for a no tools guy.

Next, I was thinking 8 AWG cable would be sufficient for a total 20 to 23 feet run (10 -11 feet x's 2) or would anybody suggest going to 6 AWG mininum electrical loss? Hence, the plug and receptacle rated up to 8 AWG.

I can return power center and plug w/receptacle and redo if I have to, don't want to, but if I have to. Last thing I want to worry bout is shorting or having fire in the middle of liquid ice. Just trying to keep it simple for I am stupid!

Talk to me guys...and gals!

It is not as complicated as you make it - especially on a 12' boat

Your 8 gauge wire should be fine - get the proper crimp on connectors (I like the heat shrink ones for ease of install) Run your lines and go fishing

Captain Ahab and RivRunR, thanks for the reassuring! #-o ! And guess what? Motor came yesterday, plug and receptacle came today, power center is waiting for me to pick up and I Is Smiling! :lol: Flipped the floater over today to clear the leaves and water out of it and I actually looked at bottom, really, for the first time! No holes, a lil' scraping but nothing else. Me getting ready to play in the water...well, soon. Lil sanding, some painting and a whole lot of smiling. Thanks you two!

Latest posts