12ft semi V-hull project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of updates, weather has been more winter than spring...

I have been doing a lot of figuring out for the inside, I will be adding a small 14" wide floor between the middle and front bench (just enough to stand and walk between the 2 benches), which will add about 4lbs to the boat.

I also flipped the boat and wire brushed, sanded then polished the bottom of the boat (one side yesterday, one side about to go do today):
The right side isn't wet.. it's just a nice unified color, with a slight mirror effect (didn't want too much reflect).

Crappy rain/ice mix weather we're having. Once again shiny shows defects but it won't be that visible, still looks better even with the dings showing.

Now another thing I didn't think I needed but do... we had rain, boat was outside...water filling up... and there is no factory drain plug.. So thinking about installing one, looking between those 3 (I have prime shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Garboard-Plug-Brass/dp/B004UOTXA0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427611608&sr=8-7&keywords=boat+plug
81%2B5rnWh5ML._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Drain-Plug-Receiver-Kit/dp/B003EWUDTY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
41Po1yNUwdL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-Drain-Plug-Nylon-Black/dp/B003L0AO20/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1427651290&sr=8-9&keywords=boat+drain+plug+kit
3140PqzavVL.jpg

One is stronger (copper) but hard to put in/remove, the other 2 are a bit weaker, but smaller and would be closer to the bottom of the boat and also a lot easier to put in/remove. I don't have that much space and thinking the copper one won't fit because of how my transom is.

Now my problem is that the transom support is in the way:

I am thinking the Attwood or Seachoice plug since they're smaller and I am very limited in space on the transom

Just put it off to the side, all of the tins I've owned have them off to the side like where it would fit for you.

Finished polishing the bottom of the boat:

Next, I need to re-install he oar locks (need to paint the supports), fiberglass the transom pieces, install a support for the trolling motor and cut a piece 1/4" aluminum to put on the outside of the transom (my 2x1/2" piece doesn't come flush with the railing of the transom).

I also ordered my drain plug, should be here sometime this week.

Your boat has really come a long way. I have boat a lot like your and I will be using your pics to guide me. Thank you for sharing.

firedawg93 said:
Your boat has really come a long way. I have boat a lot like your and I will be using your pics to guide me. Thank you for sharing.

Awesome, note: make sure to wire brush and polish the bottom before to paint the top of the hull lol. Took some precision wire brushing which could have been done much faster :D

It's been a while since the last update, had some other priorities for the last few weeks but finally did some significant work.

Daughter helping me with the front end floor.. just enough floor to stand, walk, turn around on and limited additional total weight:

The floor is fixed in place and easily removable with 2 bolts:

Also fiber-glassed the transom pieces, that thing is strong as hell... made of 1/2 exterior plywood and 1/4" aluminum plate on the outside.

Inside transom (2 x 1/2" ext plywood):

Outside transom (2 x 1/2" ext plywood + 1/4" aluminum plate for thickness and strength):

Then made one for the trolling motor to give it some stregth:

Also installed the drain plug and oars lock back on amoungs a few other things. Getting VERY close to be done.

My transom boards looks like they are made to hold a 20hp, that stuff is strong... I do have a 20hp in the basement I am hoping to sell. I would try it on if I wasn't worried that the whole transom would fall off from the vibration :D (also for the fact that we might take on water from the transom if I was to sit next to it).

To do:
* Fiberglass trolling motor mounting boards, re-install.
* Finish trailer (lights/wiring/chains/bit of paint on back piece I modified)
* Install back bench
* Install transducer (without making new holes if possible) and fish finder unit.
* Install seats (might have to use old seats, unless I find a good deal).
* Modify my battery box to install volt meter, cig lighter plug, breaker, fuses, and do wiring.
* Install and wire lights (do you need lights if you're not going to be fishing at dawn, night or nightfall?)

Plus about 20 things that I am not thinking of right now...

You won't require lights, however you may want to get a set of clamp on lights to have in the boat just in case you decide to stay out later than you intend.
You can get them at Walmart, BPS, Cabelas, etc..
The nice thing is you can leave them in the boat since they're waterproof :)

canadian omc said:
You won't require lights, however you may want to get a set of clamp on lights to have in the boat just in case you decide to stay out later than you intend.
You can get them at Walmart, BPS, Cabelas, etc..
The nice thing is you can leave them in the boat since they're waterproof :)

This is what I was thinking, if anything, that means I don't have to include them in the budget right now. I've seen the Attwood portable LED nav light kit, one of those days I'll snatch a kit and keep them in the boat.

Great build. I just picked up a similar boat and we seem to have the same priorities.

Could you talk a little bit more about how you mounted the floor piece? I am interested in doing something similar, but along the entire bottom of my rig. Like you said, just enough to stand on and turn around. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts