14' Lund rebuild and modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335646#p335646 said:
Centrarchidae » 01 Dec 2013, 15:54[/url]"]Before I flipped the boat over and put it back on the trailer, I discovered something about the trailer. It is a folding design! I don’t think I ever saw a folding boat trailer. What is the benefit? Does it make loading in shallower water easier?

Yep it's a tilt trailer! Really great for unimproved ramps or places where ramps don't exist. My buddy had one for his old Lone Star. Could actually back it up to the creek bank and dump the boat right in with no problems. Also I like your layout and framing. Keep up the good work cant wait to see it finished! :D

Its looking really good! I like how you designed the back so its easy to move around the tiller area. I also removed the transom corner caps and when I went to put them back on I had to put a big bar clamp across the back to pull it back into alignment. Amazing how important they are to the integrity of the hull. I must have pulled it in about 2" inches.

Made some progress this weekend, but not as much as planned. Got the first coat of Spar Urethane on all but 7 pieces by 10 AM Saturday. Masked the gunnel trim and shot some self-etching primer on most of the inside of the hull. Should have been able to get at least 2 coats on the wood, but it ended up raining with falling temps into the 50's so it took too long for the urethane to dry. End of day it was still too tacky for the 2nd coat. Too cold and too much moisture. 2nd coat on today, just above 55 °F, but still cold and rainy. Won't have time for 3rd coat until Tuesday. Then, flip the wood and do the other side. Maybe on Saturday I can finish the wood and primer - supposed to be warm again by then.

I decided to use the sheet insulation for foam - closed cell from Menards. Started cutting it to get started, but I think this will need to wait until all the wood is ready to go in as I would need to remove the foam to install the wood and electrical. It seems quite easy and fast to cut anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 6,562
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 6,562
Well, it feels like I am making really slow progress, with not much time to work on the boat. Over the last month I did manage to get three coats of spar on both sides of the wood pieces. I got the inside of the hull primed and painted with rattle-can Rustoleum multicolored textured paint

I got the rough-in wiring done and am mostly done with the floatation foam. I used 1" closed-cell sheets and have most of 4 sheets installed so I am figuring about 9 ft³

Attachments

• IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 6,453
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 6,453
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 6,453
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 6,453
Apparently I stopped updating this blog more than a year go now, but I did keep working on the boat. I finished it enough last year and did get some fishing out of it before the lakes iced over. I have had it out quite a few times this year already also, and have really been liking the results.
IMG_2238.JPGOverall view. Just put two new seats in that matched the one from last year. Swivel seats on pedistals make all the difference.
IMG_2239.JPG View showing the electrical panel and the radio.
IMG_2244.JPG Fuel tank is in front compartment. I did this to get some weight up front.
IMG_2245.JPGI started out putting the battery in the 2nd compartment up front. It put too much weight up front so I moved it into the compartment in the back by the radio. I put the anchor in here when going down the road.

I am calling it "finished", but I don't think it really will be. I'm already thinking of adding a rod holder on top of the starboard side storage compartment, some inboard courtesy lights, and painting the outside....
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2243.JPG
I really enjoyed working on this boat. I hope fishing from it will prove to be just as much fun, which so far is proving to be true

I used all 1.5" aluminum angle, 1/8" thick. There were some spots I think I could have used 1", like around the boxes, but the extra 1/2" width makes it much easier to attach panels to anyway.