14' Sea King build "Quacked Skull"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boat cover on.

Thanks for looking guys, I'll be sure to post another pic when my registration numbers get put on... hopefully on Thursday.

Well I got my registrations numbers put on, and they turned out better than I expected! Really glad I went through my buddy instead of doing it myself. So that's that, I will be using the boat as is for the rest of the season. Once fall hits, I'll continue the project and keep you guys updated as I make more progress. Enjoy!

Oh some advice too... don't buy a boat cover from Menards! Cheap crap is what they sold me, had roughly 5 gallons of water in my boat this morning and it all came through the cover.... Glad I saved the receipt.

Finally got her out on the water today... It was about 95 degrees here, so the fishing really didn't pick up till sundown. Picked up 3 bass total, largest was just under 16". No leaks that I can see, I think Im still going to seal all the rivets just to be safe. Here's some pics

Oh, almost forgot, I have some venting to do... While I was fishing on the lake(big for the area but small... 165 acres), I had one other boat put in after me... the guy, probably in his late 20's pulls up in a brand new dodge pulling a 22' ranger comanche with a mercury 275 on the back... decked out! Needless to say he went past me, looked at me, and I waved... he never even acknowledged me... I don't care who you are, or what you do, or the pile of fiberglass you float around on... if someone waves at you, WAVE BACK!!!! I have one of the most appreciated and one of the most hated jobs around (deputy sheriff), and even though I don't have to, I wave to people because most cops don't. Oh and just to add... this is a no-wake lake, so he definitely saw me... glad my low paying high rewarding job allows me to build my boat... unlike his high credit score pile of fiberglass crap! sorry had to vent

kylerprochaska said:
Oh, almost forgot, I have some venting to do... While I was fishing on the lake(big for the area but small... 165 acres), I had one other boat put in after me... the guy, probably in his late 20's pulls up in a brand new dodge pulling a 22' ranger comanche with a mercury 275 on the back... decked out! Needless to say he went past me, looked at me, and I waved... he never even acknowledged me... I don't care who you are, or what you do, or the pile of fiberglass you float around on... if someone waves at you, WAVE BACK!!!! I have one of the most appreciated and one of the most hated jobs around (deputy sheriff), and even though I don't have to, I wave to people because most cops don't. Oh and just to add... this is a no-wake lake, so he definitely saw me... glad my low paying high rewarding job allows me to build my boat... unlike his high credit score pile of fiberglass crap! sorry had to vent
AGREE!!! And thanks for your service.

Heading out fishing tomorrow morning, and with the walleye suspended over deep water, I want to troll. Needing rod holders, I googled it and found a thread on here. The guy used 4" pvc and made his, I upped it and went with a 6" pvc coupling, which was enough for two holders. Used some 1/2" bolts and wing nuts to secure them in the oar locks. Should work pretty good, they seem solid but I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

I bought a 14 ft sea king last year. Don't know the year it was made. My stern is different than yours. I have one brace at the stern and across the transom is straight. I see yours has 3 braces and a dip in the stern. I'm always amazed at how different all these sea kings look. If you could and don't mind would you post some pictures of the inside especially your seats. I have had to rebuild mine. The original supports were gone maybe has the original wood on the front and middle. The stern seat was 4 pieces of fir 1x3's tied together with 2 2x4 braces. They flexed real bad and caused the gunwales of the boat to draw in. Before I used it I made what looked like a ladder with some bought and scrap aluminum riveted together for the middle and stern seat. That made it sturdy with no flex and I weigh 240. Anyway I'm looking to attach something like the original supports but cutout as storage for stuff like life jackets. I'm not looking to mod it just make it useful and keep it light. Most of our ponds are small and don't have ramps so my son and I have to carry to and from the trailer.
Does your drain well? Mine has the plug really high and with all the rain this summer I 've turned it upside down on the trailer. My big Lowe 16 ft drains almost dry but this thing holds a lot of water. Doesn't leak though :) thanks to a quart of gluvit.
I'd post a picture of mine but haven't figured out how yet plus it's ugly and I have NO skills unlike most of the guys on here.
How did the cutting board work? I thought about the same thing but was worried my minnkota would shift around.

Sorry Flounder I didn't see this til now. I'll make sure to post a pic of the seats/interior soon. So Im gonna start the framing process soon... just wondering.... 2x2's, 2x3's, or 2x4's?? also, the only wood i can find in the local stores is kiln dried, but it is marked blue on the ends. Does that mean its treated?? I'd hate to cause corrosion.

Well I decided to go with the 2x2's, got the front deck supports partially started, still need to add some vertical supports in front of the seat in the bow. The front deck will eventually extend back to the black line on the floor. didn't take me too long to get this far so I can't see the framing process taking too long.

Flounder, I hope these pics help you, you can kind of see the style of the bench seats.

Oh man, you're high decking... Saw your plywood thread and I'd go as thin as you can stand on. Seriously I'd go 5mm Luann over 1x2 frames tops. Glue it together as a monoque frame so it'll sit in the hull loading on each rib.

2x2's and 5/8 ply is way overkill. Google cedar canoe to get an idea what you can get away with.

I'd also recommend the golf tubes for your rod locker. Then you only need a 4' long door and the tubes will keep the rods from tangling.

I think I should be okay. Im usually standing on the front bench seat casting, and I've yet to lose my balance. Plus with the added weight it should sit lower in the water, which should theoretically make it more stable.

Latest posts