14' Starcraft Seafarer build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Slob-o!

NLaudy, Right now, the lid just sits on top of the storage box. I think I am going to install a piano hinge on the inside lip. So the lid will open from the outside. I'll take some pics tonight of how I did the lid stop on the boat side and explain with the pics :beer:

Good call with the piano hinge. Kendor has some good aluminum ones that are easy to cut to length with a chop saw.

Thanks Mark! I look forward to seeing how you did it. I am currently doing one on my boat and I just can't figure out the best way to do it with the curve of the boat.

Here you go NLaudy. Sorry it took so long, but you know how it goes, something always comes up... Anyway, it is a very simple set up. I took a piece of 90degree aluminum, cut it to length then drilled and riveted the piece onto the wall of the boat. It is not load bearing so it need not be super strong, just something for the lid to rest on. As you will see in one of the pics, it doesnt sit PERFECT against the wall of the boat, but sits good enough. Here are the pics, if I can help more, please let me know.

Attachments

• 0storage1.jpg
    0storage1.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 6,281
  • 0stoarge2.jpg
    0stoarge2.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 6,281
  • 0storage.jpg
    0storage.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 6,281
Thanks pweisbrod :beer: now if the weather around here would just switch to spring...

Amen. I need to 5200 some stuff, prime and paint before I can start putting this thing back together. Come on spring!

Thanks for the great pictures! That is exactly what I was thinking about doing but the way the boat is angled I didn't think it would turn out too great. I am going to give it a go anyways. Thanks again for the pictures.

Great looking boat! How do you like the rubberized paint so far? I love the look of the new carpet, but my boat will (hopefully) be filled with walleye eggs and other messy stuff....so I was thinking otherwise as the carpet will be trashed. Plus my two yellow labs will hair up that carpet in no time.. Let me know how much you like that! Looks good! Also, how did you learn to do all of the wiring?

Hey jvanhees, to be honest, I can't tell u how well the flooring holds up as she hasn't even made her maiden voyage yet, freakin wisconsin weather!! It "seems" durable but I haven't been walking all over it, dragging stuff across it etc... I didn't want carpet for most of the reasons u mentioned, plus I'm really concerned that the carpet will just hold moisture against the wood. That paint/rubberized material I used is a polyurethane so it will waterproof and protect. I do agree though, carpet looks nice! Plus it hides all the lil mistakes :)

As far as the wiring, I was a mechanic at a dodge dealership for about 6 years and have been into jeeps and off roadig my entire adulthood... If u need help with schematics or wiring just shoot me a message, I'd be happy to help with what I can... Cheers!

Awesome looking tin! Man, does that bring back memories! This past winter we traded ours for a bigger 16' Starcraft SuperSport with an 80hp Mercury. When I looked at yours, I had to go back and look at my old pics to reminise about the fun we had with it. I hope you enjoy it, it looks great.
We're trying to plan a trip back to Wisconsin this summer to take my Dad and Brother out Muskie Hunting. Maybe we'll see you out there.

Great looking project man. Im in the process of redoing my boat and trying to figure out the best flooring. Was wondering what the name of the paint you used and how well it has held up. Did you roll it on or spray it? I was thinking of doing marine grade linoleum but still debating.

Not sure if you guys are still actively reading this thread but heres what I am working with in hopes for a reply.. I bought a 76 14' Starcraft semi v last winter. The guy i bought it from was a hobbyist for restoring boats. He made it a row boat. I put a 20hp motor on it and fished the hell out of it last season and it was amazing. I found myself standing on the bench's most the time when fishing and I had a transom mount trolling motor that i used for maneuvering. There winter im starting my rebuild on it. I literally just got done scrubbing it clean to seal my welds and rivets to prepare my framing. My main concerns are as follows..

1. Do I connect my framing to the floor or does it just get built to sit in there and the weight keeps in in place?
2. I haven't read of anyone talking about the stability of a boat like this, POST modifications.. I dont plan on decking much higher than the original benches were and i could stand on the brim of the boat and it wouldn't tip (im 6'2" ~210lbs) so im assuming even if i deck to the brim ill be in good shape, but has anyone had stability problems??
3. Sealing my wood, the framing im assuming should be sealed the same as the ply wood, and with that, is 1/2" ply wood enough or should i go 3/4"?

Thanks if you see this and help, I just wanna get it right the first time.. Im sure we all do when we start.

Sincerely,
Brad