1440 Sea King Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359670#p359670 said:
onthewater102 » Yesterday, 13:43[/url]"]Hmm - apart from what looks like smaller tires, that looks like the same trailer I've got (which also originated in Virginia according to the VA title I've got for it).

By any chance is your title from Supreme trailers?

Not that it'll matter, but if it is, they went out of business a long time ago. It was an issue for me with an out of state title and no VIN visible on the trailer (scraps of the sticker were still there) as CT requires you register boat trailers. There is a new company by the same name online, and I don't recall where they're out of (AR or MO if I remember) but they only started around '03 sometime...
This is an old Venture Trailer. It used to be a dump trailer but somebody welded it so that it no longer tilts, and they also extended the tongue. The wheel you can see in the pictures actually isn't what the trailer originally came with. The PO threw this one on there so that I could get the trailer home.

I've got a little more progress. I primed and painted the boat. Nothing special, I just went with spray paint. I only painted the outside hull. I still have to strip and paint the inside. I want to fish out of it for a while to decide on a layout and whether or not I am going to put a low deck in it.
Boat Primered.jpg
Boat painted.jpg

I also tore down the trailer. Lots of rust on it. Most of it is just surface rust. I don't think I will strip it completely, probably just give it a good coat of rustoleum.
Trailer pieces.jpg

There was a lot of rust on the fender/spring contraption that was welded together. I got started stripping the rust on one of them. I had to use my angle grinder and rust/paint removing disc on it. I will go back after ward and soda blast the hard to get to places and to make sure I get all of the rust out of the deeper pits. I put the two pieces side by side and you can see a huge difference.
Fender.jpg

There was some rust on the axle, but it is probably fine. I am going to replace it anyway and get new hubs and bearings just so I can be confident while trailering. I got the trailer at such a good price I still have money that I had initially budgeted.

I never posted a picture of everything after I was finished, so here goes. I sold this boat a few months ago and am starting a new project. I just bought a 16' Quachita, so I will add a new build thread soon.

Attachments

• 20150408_150312.jpg
    20150408_150312.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 757
  • 20150408_150255.jpg
    20150408_150255.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 757
  • Sea King 1.jpg
    Sea King 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 757
I feel like I never got a chance to admire the boat in action, to hear of the wild adventures and heroic rescues you performed with it, to see at least one of the many pictures of the near-record-sized fish you caught and released. :(

It looks like it turned out great.

and now, on to the sixteen footer.

Best wishes.

Latest posts