1973 Lowe 1648 question about foam floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kygrizzly

Reaction score
I recently redid my old 1648 Lowe jon boat. I removed the center bench and put 1/2 plywood with carpet on the floor. Under the carpet, I installed closed foam panels(green) from lowes. After doing so, the boat feels very touchy and not as stable before. Before it had a floor but no foam. Does this sound right? Can the foam be making it sit higher like on top of the water, if that makes sense? I'm thinking of removing it because prior to this, the boat was real stable. Your thoughts? Thank you.

It seems lighter under foot when walking around but while moving on the water, feels fine. Not flexing over the waves etc.

The foam itself would have no impact as it weighs almost nothing and provides no bouyancy when the boat is floating like normal. In fact, the foam typically helps support the flooring if its thin and actually makes the floor feel more solid. I have foam under a floor made from 3/8" rubber mat and it feels solid.

One thing causing it could be from the hull getting lighter by removing the bench seat. A lighter hull is more responsive to you shifting your body weight around. Was the bench filled with waterlogged foam by any chance or did you maybe use it for storage and since removed that stuff? The weight could add up quickly and make a difference. Also, by removing the lateral support of the bench the side may have a little motion in them that is transferred to the bottom which may be ever so slightly flexing. Could be contributing factors from both.

Is this a flat bottom / Mod-V, or a semi-V / V? The latter can cause some stability changes with a raised floor.

Did adding the foam raise the height of your floor? If so, that might be slightly impacting the center of gravity while standing, but wouldn't think it would be noticeable on a flat / Mod-V. What height change?

Was the old floor saturated? ie heavy? that might of made it feel more stable sitting.

As the guys said, floation foam is only for when you are capsized.

I did a foam and sheet aluminum floor on my 1648 DMI Mod-V. Floor is same height as ribs. I didn't notice any change in stability.

If the boat is lighter than before, it will FEEL more touchy. Now you can carry more stuff.

The foam shouldn't affect anything, unless it's very thick, and your floor is noticeably higher than before.

ALSO, with the flat floor, you may be able to walk closer to the sides of the boat than before, so that would make things different.

Removing the center bunk will affect the flexing of the boat if you have enough HP to run the boat up on plane, particularly in choppy water. Some boats it's not a big deal, in others it can be catastrophic if you don't stop quickly.

Changing a boat's balance may take a little time to get used to.

If the boat is lighter than before, it will FEEL more touchy. Now you can carry more stuff.

The foam shouldn't affect anything, unless it's very thick, and your floor is noticeably higher than before.

ALSO, with the flat floor, you may be able to walk closer to the sides of the boat than before, so that would make things different.

Removing the center bunk will affect the flexing of the boat if you have enough HP to run the boat up on plane, particularly in choppy water. Some boats it's not a big deal, in others it can be catastrophic if you don't stop quickly.

Changing a boat's balance may take a little time to get used to.
Exactly. Just had a discussion with my dad regarding this as it relates to canoes. These new crazy light designs as well as the tried and true aluminum ones are awesome for hoofing them around on land and a little less paddling effort. But once in the water they are just less stable than one of the same dimensions that floats the same but is 3X heavier.

I've been away for a few days but thank you for the responses. The floor is slightly higher but not much. the older floor was 3/4" plywood and now it's 1/2". I agree with all of the above. I'm thinking the biggest issue is the removal of the center bench and lighter floor. I can get used to it but it is substantially different or lighter feeling. Under the old floor there wasn't any foam and the wood didn't seem saturated at all. Funny about the bench removal, i have read countless of comments on people who have done this on theirs and never had the slightest issue, I do mine and of course, i have issues. Oh well, Now i'm having major problems with a newly rebuilt outboard I just purchased from a reputable shop. I put it on and started having issues 100 yards from the dock, then left me stranded. Now I have to call him up and see if he does stand behind his work. Wish me luck.

Nice boat. Any inside pics? Your ribs appear to come pretty high which usually means removing the bench seat has less of an impact on the strength. A lot of boats with built in bench seats have shallow and short ribs.

I've been away for a few days but thank you for the responses. The floor is slightly higher but not much. the older floor was 3/4" plywood and now it's 1/2". I agree with all of the above. I'm thinking the biggest issue is the removal of the center bench and lighter floor. I can get used to it but it is substantially different or lighter feeling. Under the old floor there wasn't any foam and the wood didn't seem saturated at all. Funny about the bench removal, i have read countless of comments on people who have done this on theirs and never had the slightest issue, I do mine and of course, i have issues. Oh well, Now i'm having major problems with a newly rebuilt outboard I just purchased from a reputable shop. I put it on and started having issues 100 yards from the dock, then left me stranded. Now I have to call him up and see if he does stand behind his work. Wish me luck.
Before you head back to the shop with your rebuilt outboard, try a different tank with new fuel in it. The majority of running problems are caused by bad gas. The gas in an outboard tank sitting in the sun can go bad within 2 weeks here in northern MA.

Wmk002, here are the only 2 pics of the inside I have for the boat after redoing it. I've owned this boat for 10 years or more. Just decided to refresh it, still love it. I had a 390v ranger also but decided to get rid of it, but this one will always stay unless I destroy it. As far as taking it back to the shop AJT, while I was redoing the boat I decided to start off with a new tank, lines, and primer bulb, new trolling motor, etc. New gas mixed 25/1 per the rebuilder for two tank fulls. He seems to think it's a voltage regulator but we will see. Thanks again..

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_101131619.jpg
    IMG_20230730_101131619.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
Wmk002, here are the only 2 pics of the inside I have for the boat after redoing it. I've owned this boat for 10 years or more. Just decided to refresh it, still love it. I had a 390v ranger also but decided to get rid of it, but this one will always stay unless I destroy it. As far as taking it back to the shop AJT, while I was redoing the boat I decided to start off with a new tank, lines, and primer bulb, new trolling motor, etc. New gas mixed 25/1 per the rebuilder for two tank fulls. He seems to think it's a voltage regulator but we will see. Thanks again..
The inside looks pretty robust to me. Check out my boat...click the link in my sig. Its a 1648 as well and came factory with no center bench and yours looks very similar to mine. My ribs are 1.5" tall on the bottom and going up the sides before they taper down.