14ft shallow V build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the layout of your deck with the hatches. I am about to start building my deck and I am trying to decide if I should buy or build my hatches. How did you build yours because the look very clean and well made. At $40-60 for 1 hatch I could save a lot of money building some like those. Do you have any pictures of how you made those?

Here is how I cut the hatches. I drew them out and cut them with a jigsaw. Then I cut about 3/8 inch further on the deck to allow for the carpet. However I didn't do it well enough or allow enough gap bc it was too tight with the carpet wrapped on the edges. So I had to shave some off. I figure the hatches are my least worry on the boat because if they rot or I decide I want to recut and carpet new ones for a better fit, I can.

Also you can see in my pics of the hatches open that there is a beam running on the side of the doors to allow the hatches to close down onto. This supports them so they don't collapse under weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1462978840592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1462978840592.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,075
Yeah I've decided if I come to like the set up a lot I'll redo it in aluminum over the winter. I wouldn't in cutting out the benches and replacing them with angle to add more storage beneath. Possibly adding a live well too? Well see what happens! Sunday I will be taking it out for the first time

Simple stainless hinges from home depot. The small hatches have 2- 1.5 inch hinges and the large one has 2- 3 inch hinges. The front hatch doesn't have hinges because it will be for spare life jackets and all of the necessary legal stuff that I don't anticipate needing while on the water. Also, that has a hatch so if something rolls up front I can get to it. I didn't block off any section, it's simply a deck over the original benches

Took her fishing today and it was so worth it. I'm so happy with what I decided on. It was very stable and very nice to be able to actually walk around. I doubt I will mount the bow mount motor I currently have. The shaft is extremely long. I might purchase another smaller motor as cheap as i can though. Not sure.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464406491932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464406491932.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 974
Ah, that I did not know. I'll definitely look into that then, because I'd rather not spend money I don't have to. Lol

As duck season approaches, I got to thinking - I can't use my boat the way I generally have during hunting season. Therefore, it's time to rebuild the boat!

I will be using steel flex on the exterior, and gluv it inside. Purely as a safeguard against leaking, and I've heard steelflex helps with loading and unloading the boat.

I've got plans for a rod locker/gun/bow storage, a small deck in front and rear, and wiring. That's pretty much it! To date, I've picked up a 4x8 piece of 1/8" aluminum sheeting from a trailer company, only paid $25 for it! (therefore, I'm thinking the "rebuild" will be fairly cheap!)

Will post my design ideas in a short bit!

derekdiruz,
Your project looks simple and clean. Nice job!

I have a similar boat, and I did a deck from the front bunk to the bow. But seeing yours makes me wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and extend the deck back to the second bunk. That is HUGE space you have to fish on, plus nice storage!

Thanks for posting your project.

-Tony

derek,

Your hull shape looks almost identical to the 1463 Landau I just picked up. Great to see what it looks like.

It was quite simple, and I do love the space. The main reason I don't like it tgough is the added weight slows it down! Lol. Plus, I've pretty much changed my mind in what I want now for the boat, to make hunting easier. I think I've made my mind up finally on what to redo to help hunting. That being said, I'm going to purchase the last supplies for the build this week and get started in another week or two.

If you go this route with this deck, just be sure your bow mount trolling motor (if you have one) is light and the battery is in the back. Otherwise, how I have it in this pic, it sits very low up front. Plus it's annoying when motoring that it just plows the water lol but, my 6hp is small I guess.

derek,

You mentioned wanting to do rod lockers. Any idea how you might do that without removing any of the bench seating?

Honestly, I've kind of decided against those. Originally I thought I'd build this like a bass boat (hence the deck) but ultimately I pretty much realized I've got a small, weight conscious, boat. Therefore, despite using aluminum for framing and for the plating, I decided it would add much more than would be smart, and as an avid duck hunter I'll be carrying a lot of excess weight as is. The purpose of the rod lockers were simply though to have a place for my guns while hunting... as my boat is originally for hunting not fishing.

The design I had in mind for the lockers were to keep the benches in place and tunnel through them. I thought that the back bench at the transom end would be the stopping point, and the middle bench would be hollowed in that section. To build the locker then, I just would plate it all with the aluminum and rivets, and use a dremel with a cut off wheel for precise cutting of the bench. Then I'd use a knife to cut the styrofoam out. Overall, it would allow for a place to slide the rods with them out of the way, or guns if it were that season.

My current design that will likely proceed though, is as follows:
-remove front and rear bench, and hollow out the middle.
-Use existing braces for the front and rear benches for the decks.
- deck from front bench forward with underneath open. this eliminates the necessity for a hatch, and allows for good, usable space.
-Deck from rear bench to the transom. Leave small gap in rear (4x12") to allow for wiring or fuel lines to pass through.
-foam will be added to both front and rear, but I'll show you how when I put up pictures.
-middle bench will become a hatch, where the battery is stored to the side, allowing still for a lot of room to store the life jackets, fire ext, lights, etc.

Using this type of set up will allow for the gas tank and battery to stay dry and out of the rain/snow while hunting (which is a big concern for me). Also, it will allow for the maximum usable space while hunting with all of my decoys, perhaps a dead deer, tree stand, and bow too? I do like to hunt the public waters for deer using my boat for access. THe reason I decided on the open lower space for the front deck is to provide a deck for fishing, while still being able to stow my bags or other gear out of the rain/snow.

Purchased aluminum angle and rivets today. Already had the sheeting. Will start the project in just over a week, as I have a break in my schooling before fall classes begin. Should be done just in time for duck season! When I begin this project, day one will be demo and paint. Then decking will go in and painting again after. I don't think I will texture the deck, other than possibly adding skateboard tape on various spots.

Got some framing done today. Deck goes in tomorrow. The front V was impossible for me, so I decided on a smaller raised deck above it like for a trolling motor. But, I don't have a TM for it so it will be a large hatch for life jackets and such. Figured that'd be easiest, and the most useful way for it.

I've got tons of aluminum I'll have left over, so I'm trying to decide what else to do.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1471057627646.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1471057627646.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 719

Latest posts