16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this link https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9070

Also you might consider getting a negative buss block to run all of your negative leads to so that you only have one wire connecting to the battery.

I've been using a breaker like that(50amp)for 2 years now,without one problem.
Is that your switch panel?
If it is there is one switch for your running lights...both bow and stern.
and one for the anchor....just your stern,so your good to go
There's also a double throw switch,where you put a jumper across but you don't need that if that's your panel.116e.jpg116f.jpg
The second picture is the switch I use,the positive connects to the middle.
Don't let that second picture confuse you,I only had one wire coming from the anchor light going to the switch and just put a jumper wire to the other side of the switch.

Attachments

• DPDT1.jpg
    DPDT1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 916
Zum said:
I've been using a breaker like that(50amp)for 2 years now,without one problem.
Is that your switch panel?
If it is there is one switch for your running lights...both bow and stern.
and one for the anchor....just your stern,so your good to go
There's also a double throw switch,where you put a jumper across but you don't need that if that's your panel.View attachment 2View attachment 1
The second picture is the switch I use,the positive connects to the middle.
Don't let that second picture confuse you,I only had one wire coming from the anchor light going to the switch and just put a jumper wire to the other side of the switch.

Thanks, Fishingchef, I will look at that and read the link you sent, really appreciate it.

Thanks for this Zum. That is my switch panel (I have silver), so that's good to know.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the little thing in the middle of the pictures? The horizontal H's? I honestly don't know - I actually need to know how to wire in the most simple of terms. Is any of what I asked earlier correct, aka my crappy picture?

Honestly, I might just buy a fuse block and be done with it. It sounds like that might be the way to go. It would keep things neat and likely simple. Maybe the guys down at WestMarine can help me with questions, too.

That's the switch...if you can picture those straight lines coming down and touching the lines(points),thats what lights will come on.
The hand drawn picture...are the points on a switch.
Sorry if I confused you,,,I think your on the right track.

The "horizontal H's" represent your switch or the break in the circuit. All the switch does is break the circuit of the item.

---beat me to it zum

Ober using a fuse block and switch panel will do the same thing as the prefab switch panel.

Zum said:
That's the switch...if you can picture those straight lines coming down and touching the lines(points),thats what lights will come on.
The hand drawn picture...are the points on a switch.
Sorry if I confused you,,,I think your on the right track.

Ok, hmm. Ok I am going to tackle this at some point this week and see what I can do.

Do I need another deep cycle battery? I have a deep cycle for my trolling motor, and a small cranking battery for my e-start outboard, but will I need another for the nav lights and accessories?

Also, how hard is it to wire up a 12v plug? I want to use it for my trolling motor, but it didnt come with directions or any wires connected to it.

How many accessories and how often are you going to be using those accessories? If you only running your lights and a bilge and those are only going to be on for a short time you should be ok with your TM battery. If your going to have several accessories (radio, depth finder, lights, bilge, 12v cig adpt., etc...) then I would get a second battery for your accessories. Post a picture of the plug that you are talking about. The TM plug that I picked up had wires and directions not sure what kind you got.

fishinchef said:
How many accessories and how often are you going to be using those accessories? If you only running your lights and a bilge and those are only going to be on for a short time you should be ok with your TM battery. If your going to have several accessories (radio, depth finder, lights, bilge, 12v cig adpt., etc...) then I would get a second battery for your accessories. Post a picture of the plug that you are talking about. The TM plug that I picked up had wires and directions not sure what kind you got.

I am thinking that I should get a second battery. For now I am only going to run my lights every so often, and my bilge if absolutely necessary. I would also like a 12v plug for my trolling motor. At some point it would be nice to have a radio, FF, interior lights, etc. I may just return my cranking battery and then get a deep cycle instead. Difference in price is like 60 bucks but it would allow me to crank and to eventually run everything I want.

Here is a picture of the plug I bought off eBay. It has no directions or wires. I will take some pictures of the plug later. I am thinking I might have to open up the plug part to wire up the wires.

Attachments

• 265-272m.jpg
    265-272m.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 977
  • 265-274m.jpg
    265-274m.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 977
Tried taking the plug apart, a screw comes out but nothing. Also, the silver tip unscrews and a fuse pops out but that's it. No idea how I am supposed to wire this freaking thing.

It definitely has no wires like this one:

Attachments

• 371849.jpg
    371849.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 975
I was able to get my running light working, which is a good thing. I just think that all this electrical stuff is over my head. I am highly considering getting it all done. My brother's boss is a contractor and does electrical work and said he would do the whole boat for $200, anything I wanted done.

I figured: Navigation lights, Blue Water LEDs, radio, bilge, 12v plugs, fish finder.

My funds are not high so I have to decide if I want to omit certain things and then if I do, will it be worth it?

Just not sure if I can do this alone.

I think you should give it a try yourself.
$200 seems alittle high to me,is he suppling the wire?
Take one thing at a time,ask here,google it....it's electrical but DC,I think your getting overwhelmed thinking of all the things together...

If it eases your mind to have it done right and for it to be done....thats your call.

Zum said:
I think you should give it a try yourself.
$200 seems alittle high to me,is he suppling the wire?
Take one thing at a time,ask here,google it....it's electrical but DC,I think your getting overwhelmed thinking of all the things together...

If it eases your mind to have it done right and for it to be done....thats your call.

Yeah, been thinking about it - I am going to do it myself. I have all I need I think. I just need a buss bar, a couple breakers, and I should be fine. I saw how I could do it, so I wont come this far and not do it myself.

Question: when I put in a buss bar, do I have to put an inline breaker on the positive connection from the bar to the battery? I know I have to put a breaker on the positive side (close to the battery) on the connection from the 6 gang switch to the battery.

Should I put in one of those big battery selector switches that goes from 1 to 2 to 1 and 2?

The stick steering came today - pretty pumped. It is brand new, not even a scratch. I fabricated a box to place my Tohatsu controls, it's not that pretty, but it is functional and will serve a bunch of purposes. It will house the controls, it will be a place I can put my valuables, as I plan on piano hinging it, and putting a lock on it. I will also put a couple cup holders in there or leave it as a solid top to I can use it as a sort of work station and tied my lures, work on tackle, etc. Tomorrow I will fab up a small box for the stick steer, and connect everything up. I am shooting for a really early test run Thursday as I have to be in NYC by 12. Will post some pics later, when I sync up my phone.

Added some pics. Like I said, not pretty, but works for what I need.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,004
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 1,004
Blue water leds came today, as did the fish finder. So the next project is starting the electrical, just don't know when I am going to do it. I have minimal summer left, I think the boat is going to be used as is for now, and I am pretty happy with where that is.

Here is a picture of the stick steer box I made yesterday. I am going to run it a bunch, then close it in if I need to. Might just paint the wood gray instead. Looks ok, works well as of now.

Attachments

• stick steer setup.jpg
    stick steer setup.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 989
pescatore said:
Great job =D>
How did u attached the trolling motor bracket to the boat?

Thanks, man. Still have all the wiring and accessories to do, and the back of the boat framing and whatnot.

If you look on page 16 of this thread, third picture down, there is a small simpson strong tie I put on the outside of the bracket. I covered it in carpet to kind of make it blend in so it wasn't so obvious.

I also used those strong ties under the bracket, by the base, facing inward toward the bow (to hide them a bit. You just can't see if on the bracket pics I posted. I attached with ss screws, and had gasket material in between the hull and the strong tie. Hope this helps.

I saw the strong tie in the front but i couldn't see what did u do for the rest of the braket :wink:
I am still undecided between a solution like yours and building a little alluminum bracket...

Attachments

• IMG00070.jpg
    IMG00070.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 1,027
pescatore said:
I saw the strong tie in the front but i couldn't see what did u do for the rest of the braket :wink:
I am still undecided between a solution like yours and building a little alluminum bracket...

I had the wood and have no experience with aluminum, so the choice was easy for me. If I had those, however, I would think aluminum is the way to go.

Well today was VERY productive. I don't know why I thought I needed someone to install my electrical. Once I broke it down (with the help here and esp fishinchef) into simple terms, I was able to install easily. It took a lot of time, but that was to be expected. I wired up the new fishfinder (haven't installed transducer on the hull permanently), bilge pump (yet to get hose for it), two Bluewater led strips, running light, and anchor light (not yet mounted because back deck is yet to be built). I forgot to do the 12v accessory plug, but I will go back and do that later. I forgot to take some pics (cant find camera) but will take a bunch when I go out either tomorrow or Monday to fish.

I am strapped for time, but later I will post how I connected everything, so when you search, you can find how I did it. Pretty excited that now the boat is a turn key boat that I can fish at night, dusk, and dawn. This boat has come a long way!

Latest posts