16' Richline restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks bigwrench. Overall the blasting was o.k. The gentlemen and I worked out a deal where he used a cheaper kind of media. It was o.k. on the steel trailer, but, left quite a profile on the aluminum boat. This may be good for the paint to stick to it, I am just concerned that that texture is going to come through once painted. This would create a rough surface that would be uncomfortable to folks in the boat and may promote drag in the water. I am going to paint a test patch on the hull, and see how it covers. It might do great, if it doesn't, I can always wheel it and smooth it out a bit. Also, he did not take the crap out of the seams on the outside that someone put there in an attempt to leak seal it. This was the main reason for taking it to the media blaster in the first place. Overall, I may have to spend quite a bit more time on the hull which irks me considering I paid good money to have it blasted. If you do have it blasted or do it yourself, make sure and use soda blasting. This will allow you to spend for time on an area and around the rivets and seems. This will also create the most desirable profile for painting.

I am almost done with the trailer and ready to move on to the hull. I have a 2 year old daughter and she commands most of my attention during my free time. Willingly :D So the project is moving at a slower pace than expected. (they always do) I got a good couple of coats of self etching primer on it and ready to move on to paint. Then new bunks and brand new harness and lights. (nothing pisses me off more than trailer lights that don't work, or have continuous shorts in them). Figured I would start fresh. That way I have no one to blame except for myself.

Ok guys. I took a hiatus on my boat restore. I'm back at it and hoping to get it done for spring fishing. I had briefly considered scrapping the project due to the amount of money already spent on it and finding the crap in the seems that needed to be scraped out. Here is some pics of what is in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20150131_164404417.jpg
    IMG_20150131_164404417.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_20150131_164415248.jpg
    IMG_20150131_164415248.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_20150131_164437826.jpg
    IMG_20150131_164437826.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_20150131_164424687.jpg
    IMG_20150131_164424687.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_20150131_164424687.jpg
    IMG_20150131_164424687.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_20150131_164451801.jpg
    IMG_20150131_164451801.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 938
For some reason the Starboard side is obviously lower than the port side. I have it back from the sandblaster looks good. I have it at a friends shop doing some trailer mods. I will post pics of my question soon. Pretty much, the starboard side is somewhere around 3/4" lower than the Port side on the transom

Honestly, with the photo that you provided, I can not see a difference.
Using Paint Shop, I drew the red lines across the reference points and they
are all straight. To me, the starboard side looks a tiny bit lower than the port side.

Perhaps the trailer is crooked ?
Perhaps you need to leave the liquid persuasion alone for awhile.
Perhaps the previous owner did some modifications to the transom.
I you can make it suitable to your eye with some modifications, do it.
If it floats well, has a good balance, doesn't leak, then let it goooooooooo

Attachments

• MoonDog's Transom.jpg
    MoonDog's Transom.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 932
All good points Johnny. Where the motor actually sets on the wood, (with the aluminum cap), it is a bit lower on the starboard side. I will take yours and a couple others advise, and just try to make it look good and let it be water under the bridge. I have had a difficult time staying on this project, but, If I can get back motivated, It will come together nicely. It's gonna make a great boat for catching white bass and Crappie, and for running limb lines for channel / Blue cats.

Am sure it will turn out just fine !! You are off to an awesome start with the media blasting.
Many of us don't have the luxury to blast down to bare metal. We just clean, sand and paint.

Now, to address your transom issue - - -
With the boat on your trailer, or saw horses where you can get to the back end easily.
Don't try to get the boat level - - - just take measurements from the bottom of your boat
and make your motor mount part of the transom EQUAL to the bottom. Use shims or whatever to get it
to that point. I had an older Tin a few years ago that the P/O had cut down the motor mount from
18" to 15" and it was a bit off. I had to rebuild it back to accept a 20" motor. That is what I did.
Then, when you apply the cap over the new transom and mount your motor,
the motor will be in the correct orientation to your boat's bottom. Then, when you bolt your motor solid to
the transom, it will not only look correct, it will BE correct.

Hope to see more pics of your progress when it warms up.

Attachments

• Moon Dog's Transom.jpg
    Moon Dog's Transom.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 919
Nice work, MD! Have you looked at the Richline boats page at Yahoo Groups? You have to sign up but there are 180+ members, some of who are super knowledgeable about these boats. The guy who put the page together grew up next to the plant in the 50's and has a lot of old catalogs posted. Here is the link:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Richline_53/photos/albums/285091846

Great post Johnny, I will definitely use this when I rebuild the transom. Outrage, I am a member of the group on yahoo. I don't live too far from the town where the old plant was. Lots of great restores and info on that group.

By the way outrage, great restore on your Richline. I had a Mercury just like that on my Blue star. Great motor once I figured out there was a rotten fuel line before the fuel sending unit. It gave me fits. I finally replaced that little section of rubber line and the motor purred like a kitten.

From the pics it is hard to tell that the transom is different heights. I wouldnt worry about it to much. No clue of the cause.

Thanks, MD! The guy who runs the yahoo groups page (richline53) told me he used to take his dog walking by the plant in the late 50's and probably saw my boat in production. Too cool! Really getting itchy for warm weather with 12" of snow still on the ground. The old redline Merc's (mine is a 68 350) are sweet motors when you fix all the time-raveged bits.

Well guys, I hate to inform you, but, I sold my Richline and started a new project. As much as I love those old Richline's, my heart was just not into the project. I think it will make a great boat, I just wanted something different for my wife and girl. I bought a 1967 StarCraft Mariner V 16'. It has a larger / deeper inside area, and has a lot more room for accommodation for mods. I don't know if I am supposed to take this post down since I did not finish the restore? If anyone knows, let me know. I will start a new thread for my StarCraft restore, and post a couple of pics of it on this thread if I am aloud to. It is a very strait boat. It is going to make a nice restore.

I think you should leave it up, the info and links might help someone else out. At least you posted that you sold the boat. Add a link at the end of this thread to link to your new build when you start it. Hope to see you at Cave Run sometime!

Will do. I will leave it up. Thanks for all replies. I will post a link for my new build. My StarCraft will not require much of an overhaul. Just a new floor and moving the helm back, and a new engine. I may do a few mods on it next year.

Latest posts