Boat ID

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorbothegeek

Reaction score
WEBSITE
https://macsos.biz
Hello all,

I recently purchased this 12 foot (11’ 8.5”) semi-vee aluminum fishing boat with a 9.9 Evinrude, and Minkota trolling motor, with assorted fishing gear. Beam is 52”

Here’s what I can tell you about the boat and what I’ve found so far.

On the WA state Vessel Certificate of Title the make is “SES“ which is described as Sears. The year is “1977.” The HIN is WNZ62284D777. In addition, there is this additional comment: “100/2011, Non-conforming HIN E321477.” Something tells me the HIN was created years after the boat was originally made. Is that possible?

On the transom, port side, is stamped “E32-1477” (see photo).

I’m am trying to positively ID that it was truly built in 1977 and not earlier and also that it is a Sears boat. When I looked up the HIN, the manufacturer was described as “Washington homemade boats*” This was obviously NOT a home made boat. So this is confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.
>Steve

Attachments

• IMG_8764.jpeg
    IMG_8764.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8719.jpeg
    IMG_8719.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8766.jpeg
    IMG_8766.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 0
A HIN with "Z" in the third position is indicative of a state-issued HIN. "WN" indicates Washington state.

The federal HIN program didn't begin until 1972.
Boats made after 1972 will have a federal HIN plate on the outside transom.
Boats made prior to 1972 had only a model/serial number, in your case E32-1477. (*sometimes)
These model/serials were unique to each manufacturer and may or may not be able to be decoded into more information.

Since the creation of a standardized 12-digit HIN, different states register older boats in different ways. Some states use the boat's original serial/model and just fill in the other blanks with zeros. Some states create their own 12-digit HIN. These are the "Z" numbers and are usually known as "Homemade" numbers regardless of the boat's origins. The Z numbers are specific to each state's own database and generally don't include any useful info other than an unique number used for registration purposes.

Also, for what it's worth, it appears your 'homemade' state-issued HIN was created in 1977, not the boat. The boat is most likely older than 1972. (the lapstrake panels began around 1959 and all through the 60s and early 70s as a generally trend)

for what it's worth part II, Sears didn't make anything. They used major brands as contract vendors for their private label. Sears, in general, is one of the more difficult ones to ID as they contracted with anyone for short runs and also bought up production overruns from anyone.
However, one can count on a major branded sister ship out there somewhere, for ID purposes.
Unfortunately, I dont' recognize the E32 model right away, but that would be a good indicator for the manufacturer. 1477 is most likely the production number.
The usual pieces to help ID a manufacturer are the length, transom width, beam, corner hardware, seat construction and bracing, rivet lines, and the transom brace.

for what it's worth part III, the long-run vendors for aluminum Sears included Sea Nymph, Meyers, and Arkasas Traveler.

Last edited: