16ft mirrocraft build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its a 20" transom you need a long shaft. If it is 15" you need a short shaft. Measure from the top of where the engine will set on to the water line to get the right measurement. I cut my 20" transom down to 15" so I could use my new short shaft motor.

Well. Aircraft remover didn't work.
think someone here told me to use wire brush lol
Wonder if I can bring back.

Sanding here I come.

Well your boat looks just like mine. The zinc chromate primer is the stuff that is really hard to get off. I suggest that you start in a small area and use zip strip from home depot or lowes. Let it set for a while then get you a scrapper to loosen up the old paint. Get a gallon of acetone and use after you get most of the stripper off....this will take any residual off that the stripper did not get....follow with a good pressure wash. I tried the aircraft remover and it did not work for me either. After several attempts the zip strip worked best for me.

Hey guys have question.
I roughed up floor of boat and took topside down to metal with wire brush with drill. I'm about to flip boat
and start on bottom of hull. I'm worried about going over rivets that way. I don't think ill go to metal on hull
since noone will really see it on water. So what is best way to go over the rivets.

Use the stripper, it will loosen all that paint around the rivets. I used the scotch brite green pads and my hands. It came right off with the green pad. The primer is the really hard stuff to get off, if your boat is like mine. Keep in mind, I worked on my outside hull for two full weekends. This is the cheapest way to get the old paint off, but next time I will pay to have it blasted by Bayside Sandblasting. Could get the whole boat done for 150 bucks. That is worth it to me for my next project boat. Look up Sixguns mod, to get an idea of what I am talking about.

So progress been slow between work kids wife and still in dog house. Woof woof.
got topside to metal startedsanding hull.
Want to take pics but kids did something to my phones camera and it looks like
a couple of orange orbs when I take a pic so I don't know if I should even post.

Yes I do have a carmera but I just got it for my wife to try to get on good side. Ha ha
But I cant figure thing out plus don't want to touch it lol.
Ok enough about my home ****

So bed liner on hull or inside? ????
thinking it would look good on hull though
Also still looking for motor if anyone local knows of one
sorry for the ramble :?

I say yes to bedliner on inside, not for leak prevention. It will help keep the corrosion down in the future IMO.I used spary can and it worked fine, cost me 40 bucks. Next time I will buy the gal for 47...and roll it on.

P.S. Hey I understand the wife and kids, Last week I bought new tires for mine, and today I paid for new brakes, boat is on hold until payday again. They never take care of their cars and I cant work on my boat until her car is safe again......gotta love em.... :shock:

Just had a question. I was gonna paint but if I do when attaching frame for floor and deck
Wont the screws come through paint. Is it better to do all frame work first then paint.

Attachments

• image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 722
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 722
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 722
Do all your framework first before you paint, so you dont have to do touch ups when your ready to paint. Did you have fun stripping the outside.....mine was a pita to get off. Looking good dude.

bigwave said:
Do all your framework first before you paint, so you dont have to do touch ups when your ready to paint. Did you have fun stripping the outside.....mine was a pita to get off. Looking good dude.
Yeah it was a pain. Cant wait to start framing. I saw a 40 Hp on cl for 450 down in st Pete and I had to
talk myself out of going and getting. The low price scared me away but I should have went to check it out.

Question. The rustoelum bed liner doesn't say if I should prime the
Spots that are bare metal. Should I hit it with some primer.

On the inside I just used some 100grit sandpaper to scuff up the surface, then I wiped down all surfaces with acetone...sprayed the bedliner right over the factory paint and it adhered real good. I have walked all over the inside and no scratches as of yet. It will all be covered anyways so I say just paint right over the old stuff.

flajsh said:
Question. The rustoelum bed liner doesn't say if I should prime the
Spots that are bare metal. Should I hit it with some primer.

I used roll on bedliner right over the bare metal and it stuck real good but I can't see it now

Attachments

• Slide35.JPG
    Slide35.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 658
Think I talked myself into doing aluminum framing. What size should I be looking for.
would an angle grinder be good for cutting?

I used 1x1 square tubing.....angle grinder works just fine with a mason blade. Fish4fool told me about the mason blade for tile, it seems to work better for the aluminum. The tubing is expensive if you buy it like I did, It is 17 bucks for a 8' piece at home depot....If you look around you can find a deal. Ladders are good too, i am constantly looking for one at garage sales....I just can't find the nerve to cut mine up.

Yeah that will put a dent into my motor fund for sure. Maybe its back
To 2x2 for me.
I did get some work done. I saw a pic of a boat with raptor on hull so I went a little cheaper and used rustle bed liner on it. I like how it looks just hope it holds up.

Attachments

• image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 618
  • image_5.jpeg
    image_5.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 618
  • image_6.jpeg
    image_6.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 618