18' Lowe center console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there, I regularly cruise this site as I love to work on boats and I am planning my own jonboat conversion.

I would like to throw out an idea for you that I just had...you said you are considering decking the entire boat. How about this...I like to sit comfortably when I ride, so how about making your center console with the steering and all the good stuff, and then making a seat that goes around on each side of the console? It would flip up with cushions for comfy seats for riding, then it flips down for when you are fishing and gives you tons of walk around space.

Here is a crude drawing of what I mean....P.S. I just got myself excited about this idea!! LOL

Attachments

• Boat idea.jpg
    Boat idea.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 908
I got alot done last night, started on the floor with a big scraper an it took all the fiberglass up very easy, I was surprised to see how poor the condition of the wood was underneath. I bustedca whole section out with a hammer.

FC21386E-169E-4B42-A42D-E1A9673A18B2-25248-00001DC584AA106C.jpg

After the last big hunk of wood was removed

CCB3F99C-3CE0-456C-9D0E-EBBA2B0C4DF5-25248-00001DC5A19820EE.jpg

Removing the waterlogged foam

0C27DD03-7792-401A-8508-539574D7D056-25248-00001DC5AC57DC99.jpg

Finished for the night

88D50E1F-A96E-482D-9D67-8C4D2E2B4D4E-25248-00001DC5B6E74225.jpg

I only had about 1/3 that much in my boat and I estimated it to weigh in excess of 150 when I removed it. Hard to imagine what your boat + all that soggy foam weighed.

It will be the same height or higher! I really want to deck the whole boat to the top but my wife said there is no way she will ride in the boat if I do that. Since I want to enjoy the boat with her I guess I'm going back to the original height!

Looks like a mess on your hands but I bet it will be quite awesome when you're done. Looking forward to see the finished product

Nice Score! You are going to like all that room. With all the cleaning and scrapeing, it probobly feels like it's 30' instead of 18 though. Keep at it looks like you are going to have a very nice boat.
As for options, I got to fish a Sea Ark CC that was decked in the back and front with a full bench behind the console (seats 3 sids by side, skipper is in the center). There was aluminum Tread Plate installed directly on top of the frames which made for a very deep interior. My 20 measures 60" at the bottom and 72" at the rails.
Keep Hacking, Jerry :)

Something like this Jerry ? 1872 SeaArk CC.....

Attachments

• 2web.jpg
    2web.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,993
  • 7web.jpg
    7web.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,993
  • 13web.jpg
    13web.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 1,993
  • 9web.jpg
    9web.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 1,993
Hey Jerry, I wanted to copy your boat but the wife is scared with the full deck so I'm going to build mine alot like the boat pictured above...I love your paint on your boat it really makes it look alot like a really expensive glass boat, I'm considering the same style for mine with red instead of blue....your boat is my hands down favorite for sure...thanks Dave I sent you a pm!

She has a point, I've already had 1 MOB in 10' of water in the Gulf. Was sneaking up on a fishey spot when
he stepped off. :shock: The hardest part was getting him back on board (no ladder) but since it is so low on the water
he grabbed the leaning post and threw a leg up over the rail and we rolled him back aboard. it's funny now, not so when it happened.
I keep telling myself "It's a Flats boat dummy, quit trying to fish the reefs!" #-o
Red and white are a great combo. My next one would be Maroon and White with a gold pinstripe on the edge of the Maroon.
Keep the pictures coming.....Jerry

Ya i'm sure it's alot safer, and since I really want her to fish with me I guess I'll do it her way...I did alot of cleaning on the boat today, mostly getting all the tiny pieces of foam and wood out and it was a task in itself but for the most part it's done....I do need a bit of help though, I noticed after cleaning I took the water hose and really sprayed the inside down and most of the channels for drainage where plugged under the supports...I took the nozzle on the hose and flushed most of them out pretty easily but towards the reattach they are plugged tight and the design dosent really make sence either, but I can fix that. My question is should I take some foam sheets and make a layer above the channels and seal it off where debris can't get in there then finish filling with foam on top of that? Seems like if I made a small pocket across the whole floor it would help solve the problem of it getting stopped up! My other question is what is the main reason for steelflexing the bottom of the boat? I see alot of people do it but I've never really heard a reason why?

I got bored today and did a quick sketch of how I would like the boat to look when finished. Ok remember I'm no artist and can't draw to save my life, but I needed to see my vision someplace other than my head. I did it so the outside wall is removed so you can see my idea I have for a floor plan. Notice the stand for the console and helm seat, I'm doing this to fit a larger gas tank under the console it will also have some storage under it. Around it is lit up with LEDs and there is also LEDs on the front and rear deck shining down on the bottom deck. There is rod holders mounted on the back wall and I plan on a set on the other side also... I know i cant do a T-Top right away but i will eventully get one.....Any questions about what something is (remember I'm no artist) or any suggestions about anything please let me know

3E4A268D-AE4E-4717-ABC0-E399EEF8C871-26125-00001EDCBE5BE38C.jpg

D70C99AC-0F13-40D9-AD2A-9B0FE34A399A-26125-00001EDCC9A79132.jpg

Hey Ryan,
Looks pretty cool. What’s your plan for the mounting the console and cooler seat? Are you going to frame around fuel tank and then mount on top of the framing? Something like this?

Attachments

• Console.jpg
    Console.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,719
Alot like that, except the flip flop livewell seat will be on the stand also and it will stop flush on the front of the console so the ice chest can set up against it. My console is short and I wanted the cooler in front of it to be a seat also but the way it's made your back would be on the corner where the storage lid opens so I'm trying to have a workable backrest there also

867B4931-506A-41BB-BA3B-9CF36F5B7139-23736-00001C83A07C6F89.jpg

You can see here there's not much room for leaning back

8CE66E5D-F9E2-4AB4-851A-06F70BACDC4D-23736-00001C83987D1D85.jpg

Nice layout, looks like most of the weight is in the center.
Mrtoler said:
I noticed after cleaning I took the water hose and really sprayed the inside down and most of the channels for drainage where plugged under the supports...I took the nozzle on the hose and flushed most of them out pretty easily but towards the reattach they are plugged tight and the design dosent really make sence either, but I can fix that. My other question is what is the main reason for steelflexing the bottom of the boat? I see alot of people do it but I've never really heard a reason why?
I had the same problem, the ribs on my boat were packed with oak leaves and I couldn't get them out.
I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of each rib and inserted the nozzle of my compressor and blew the leaves out.
That also left a hole for any moisture to dry out. I have not sealed any areas on my boat because of corrosion.
Steel Flex makes the hull quieter and the lighter colors are cooler in the summer. M2C

Latest posts