1955 Lowline

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman4210

Reaction score
Good evening. Or day. Or morning. Or whenever you are reading this.

I have a 1955 Lowline 14 foot boat that I am trying to get some information on. I would love to know the specs as far as people and weight limit and honestly anything and everything I can about my boat. If anyone knows how I can find the brochure or something to give information on this boat that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated. I have spent a lot of time googling and just can’t seem to win.

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpeg
    IMG_2592.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 3
Low-Line was founded in 1971.

If your rig is absent the 12-digit HIN plate on the stern which began in 1972, I suspect it's a 1971.
(I have a Lowe Line 16C from '71, fwiw)

The following brochure from '78 might be able to narrow it down. Specs found in the green box. Comparing measurements might help.

Attachments

• Lowe2.jpg
    Lowe2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Lowe1.png
    Lowe1.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 2
Post more pics of this. Would like to see the mfr name plate for one. Does is say where it was manufactured?
Sorry for the late response. I was out of town on work. I will get this tonight when I get home. And thank you for your help.

If your rig is absent the 12-digit HIN plate on the stern which began in 1972, I suspect it's a 1971.

The following brochure from '78 might be able to narrow it down. Specs found in the green box. Comparing measurements might help.
Hmmmm. That is what I am able to find as well. I am going by the Title that came with the boat and the trailer. Does not make it 100% accurate, I understand. But the older gentleman claimed it was his father’s boat. The HIN is scribed in the back of the boat. I will look at this evening and post it.

Sorry for the late response. I was out of town for work and thank you for you assistance.

Hmmmm. That is what I am able to find as well. I am going by the Title that came with the boat and the trailer. Does not make it 100% accurate, I understand. But the older gentleman claimed it was his father’s boat. The HIN is scribed in the back of the boat. I will look at this evening and post it.

Sorry for the late response. I was out of town for work and thank you for you assistance.
For what it's worth, it's not uncommon for vintage boat paperwork to be incorrect. I would wager a majority, in fact. lol
If you have the 12-digit HIN on the stern, all doubts will be erased as that is a Federal program with definitive information coded within the format.

The following brochure from '78 might be able to narrow it down. Specs found in the green box. Comparing measurements might

For what it's worth, it's not uncommon for vintage boat paperwork to be incorrect. I would wager a majority, in fact. lol
If you have the 12-digit HIN on the stern, all doubts will be erased as that is a Federal program with definitive information coded within the format.
I was able to locate the number.

INZ00014G222

Sorry for the late response. I was out of town on work. I will get this tonight when I get home. And thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4130.jpeg
    IMG_4130.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3957.jpeg
    IMG_3957.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3956.jpeg
    IMG_3956.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3955.jpeg
    IMG_3955.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3953.jpeg
    IMG_3953.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3951.jpeg
    IMG_3951.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1
I was able to locate the number.

INZ00014G222
Unfortunately, this is an Indiana-created state number. Sometimes known as a "homebuilt" HIN. The state may have some record, but it's not going to be foolproof info on the boat.
You'll also note that it was etched by hand rather than a permanent HIN plate.
On pre-72 boats, some states will create their own random number for the 12 digits on their paperwork. Other states use the boat's factory serial of any length, leaving the other boxes empty. Ultimately, the states are looking to assign an unique number to the boat's registration, but in this scenario, it won't include any manufacturing data.

...gets me back to the idea that it's a '71.

Unfortunately, this is an Indiana-created state number. Sometimes known as a "homebuilt" HIN. The state may have some record, but it's not going to be foolproof info on the boat.
You'll also note that it was etched by hand rather than a permanent HIN plate.
On pre-72 boats, some states will create their own random number for the 12 digits on their paperwork. Other states use the boat's factory serial of any length, leaving the other boxes empty. Ultimately, the states are looking to assign an unique number to the boat's registration, but in this scenario, it won't include any manufacturing data.

...gets me back to the idea that it's a '71.
Bummer. From the document shared earlier I can only have 375lbs in the boat. With a 84lb motor I can’t even have two grown men in the boat.

Bummer. From the document shared earlier I can only have 375lbs in the boat. With a 84lb motor I can’t even have two grown men in the boat.
You can do a little math to double check the numbers. The following is from OBC which wouldn't be the regulator in the 70s, but the science still applies.
Basically it's 12.5lbs per cubic foot of interior volume. You can ballpark it without calculating the rounded areas shown in the manual.

Attachments

• BWC.jpg
    BWC.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 2
Horsepower rating can be gleaned from this chart..

Attachments

• hp.jpg
    hp.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 2
You can do a little math to double check the numbers. The following is from OBC which wouldn't be the regulator in the 70s, but the science still applies.
Basically it's 12.5lbs per cubic foot of interior volume. You can ballpark it without calculating the rounded areas shown in the manual.
Awesome. Thank you