1956 Johnson QD-17 Project NEW QUESTIONS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decarbing is just cleaning all the old built up gunk from inside the engine. It is done by pouring an entire can of SeaFoam into a couple gallons of gas/oil mix and running the entire mixture through the motor at WOT. I did this before changing the plugs as it fouls the plugs up pretty good.Some people will tell you not to do this with these old motors so use your own discretion. I did it because I didnt know any better and was told too. I didnt damage my motor in any way and I got lots of black crud out of it. It is said to really increase compression on a motor that has low compression also.

Hi Bassblaster,

What kind of phone do you have? What kind of PC do you have? If you know what the file type is, that would help greatly. The file type is indicated by the last three letters after the . in the file name.

Could you post a closeup of the front of your 10hp. Its beautiful!

Does anyone know what that little square thing is that sticks out the left side of the engine, towards the front. (left side as you look at the front.)

Bassblaster,
Would you mind emailing those manuals to me? I just bought a 14' Lowe boat with that exact motor (a lot more rough looking) on it with an motor stand, portable live well, trolling motor, fishfinder, an old mercury 20hp motor, and a trailer for $300. I am going to rebuild the motor and put a custom paint job on it. Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks.