1976 Johnson 15 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pappy said:
That is water.

:cry:

I took the prop off this evening and noticed a couple of things right off the bat. First, the prop has some significant play?.. I am able to move the prop forward and backward along the shaft about 1/2 in either direction. I didn't even need a socket to turn the nut when I took it off.. just removed the cotter pin and spun the nut off. This tells me that there are most likely some parts missing. The cotter pin and lock nut were in place, followed by the thrust washer just behind that, then the prop. Behind the prop is nothing! It fits right up to the bearing carrier/seal. Looking at the diagram, I notice there is a supposed to be a propeller bushing and thrust bushing behind the prop...which there isn't... So.. .surprise number 1.

Inside the bearing carrier there is a bunch of frothy goo that is probably the result of me having it started the other day. It smells like exhaust, water and oil mixed up.. so i'm sure that prop seal is dead.

Good thing I was planning to take this lower unit off already for the water pump/impeller kit....

Your terminology is not quite right but you are on the right track.
It is the thrust washer that is missing and that is never a good thing. That washer runs on a taper on the propshaft and absorbs the total thrust load of the propeller.
The thrust washer also locates the propeller and keeps it from running too deep in the exhaust area of the gearcase so, chances are your engine now has a labyrinth seal that is destroyed. Not great but not the end of the world. You may experience more than a normal amount of cavitation due to this.
Also not running the thrust washer usually makes a sharp edge out of the rear of the gearcase where the prop slides in.
Prop is probably damaged as well from not running the washer.
BTW What you are calling the thrust washer is commonly called a spline washer.
On your engine there is no need to over-tighten a prop nut.

Pappy said:
Your terminology is not quite right but you are on the right track.
It is the thrust washer that is missing and that is never a good thing. That washer runs on a taper on the propshaft and absorbs the total thrust load of the propeller.
The thrust washer also locates the propeller and keeps it from running too deep in the exhaust area of the gearcase so, chances are your engine now has a labyrinth seal that is destroyed. Not great but not the end of the world. You may experience more than a normal amount of cavitation due to this.
Also not running the thrust washer usually makes a sharp edge out of the rear of the gearcase where the prop slides in.
Prop is probably damaged as well from not running the washer.
BTW What you are calling the thrust washer is commonly called a spline washer.
On your engine there is no need to over-tighten a prop nut.

Thanks Pappy.. it's all pretty new to me.. I just used the names of the parts as they are labeled on the diagram :oops: :oops:
I have the lower unit off and am waiting on parts to arrive before I dig into it much further. I will snap some pics tomorrow.

Thanks once again to all!