Weekend auction lot of outboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoarder

Reaction score
A buddy came by Saturday morning and said there's an auction near his hunting cabin in PA, lets go.
Not having anything better to do with the prospect of bad weather coming I took the ride. He brought a truck so I knew he was serious.
We got to the place late, nearly 9am and the sale was supposed to start at 9 sharp.
I didn't see many trucks or cars though and it was snowing/raining the whole way there.
It was clear at home but with dark skies.
There were two auctioneers, one working in the house, the other out back in a long chicken coop. Me and some old guy were the only two to head outside.

The place was sparsely finished off but with about 50 or so outboards, two glass boats and a few pedal boats. Plus a few steel tire tractors that looked like they hadn't moved in ages.

The auctioneer looked around, called up to the house, then started the auction. My buddy walked back around that time, but shook his head and went back in the house, but told me there's motors in the basement too.
The other guy who was looking around out back tells me he's looking to own all four pedal boats, if i leave them alone, he won't big on anything else.
I said its a deal. The auctioneer dragged his feet for a bit longer, and two more guys came out and they started the sale.
It was done in 20 minutes and I had bought 16 motors in all, and a ton of new parts. I then went inside and waited for the same auctioneer to head down the basement, where there were two unopened Force motors in boxes, and a bench with a 2x6 lip on it with 12 9.9/15hp Evinrude and Johnson motors from the 70's or 80's on it, plus some new parts in boxes.

By the time it was done, I had 29 motors and had filled the back of my buddies van with new parts, including a crap load of new props, some OMC tools, the two new Force 9.9 motors, and one new 15hp Force motor, still in the foam in a box, plus about 20 extra 9.9 covers, some spare coils, carbs, etc.
There's five new in the box 9.9 OMC blocks, dated 1982 on the boxes, a box of 6 new carbs, plus four 6 hp Johnson motors, (condition to be determined, but their not seized, one 110hp, one 90hp, with a receipt for a lower unit overhaul, and its got a white lower on a blue motor, two sets of matching controls, and a spare carb set and two power tilt units for OMC as well.
The total count now in my garage for 9.9/15hp OMC motors is nine counting those I got out in PA a few weeks ago.
I have no idea what I'm going to do with the two V4 motors but both are supposedly running motors. They're too big for my 16ft aluminum boat though.

The Force motors though are brand new, in the box. Brand new, 30 year old motors. They look like they came out of the factory yesterday.
Three are 1987, one is 1995, one in 1998.
Does anyone have any idea what something like that would even be worth?

Here's one of the covers I pulled out the box, the rest are still set in the foam in the box, and there's a few extra 9.9 covers.

100_5815.JPG100_5817.JPG
Brand new Force 9.9hp cover, and a brand new or close to new Evinrude Cover

90hp, VRO is a lie, its been removed on this one, and the lower unit looks like its just been worked on.
I did check the compression today on this one and got 142-149-142-144 (it was much hirer at first but the cylinders were filled with thick oil, it took good bit of cranking to clear it out and get normal readings. The 110 gave me 145-147-148-146 psi and it too was shot full of thick oil. It was too close to freezing so I didn't try to start these but my guess is their both runners, but no power tilt on either one. But there's a few factory tilt units in the lot as well.

100_3550.JPGEvinrude 110 hp.JPGP1070295.JPG

A 9.9hp tiller short shaft

below, a 1989 3hp, (this makes two of these now as I got one just like it a few weeks ago)

P1070293.JPG100_3503.JPG

This one is a bit challenged but its got good spark and compression, but the tiller is busted completely off, it was tied to the bracket with a plastic trash bag. It came with the lot of motors, as they were auctioning them off in lots of 5 or more. After he realized there were no other bidders, he basically just counted them all up and we agreed on a price. I had to assume they were all junk though just in case.

P1070288 2.JPG
9.9hp long shaft tiller rope start

P1070296.JPG

Above, 9.9 short shaft tiller manual start only This one and its 15hp long shaft twin both look like they've barely ever seen the water.

P1070294.JPG
15hp 20" shaft tiller E start

There's a few more of these as well but it stopped me at 10 pics and they all pretty much look alike. All are from the same era, 1974-85 or so. I think one long shaft 15 is an 85, but its got a 9.9 cover on it.

I swear, when I got up on Saturday I had absolutely zero intentions of buying 40 some motors or spending a dime on anything but sometimes I just can't help my self.
We ended coming back with my buddy's truck and trailer full of my stuff, he didn't buy a thing.
He looked at me funny though when I grabbed his keys and said I had to load something on the trailer. He just stood there and stared at it all when he got back to the truck around noon.
I told him I figured we might need some weight on the back if the snow keeps up. The trailer and van were nearly full. I bought lunch though.

Once back home it too both of us two hours to unload the truck and trailer and get them all into my shed and garage, plus carry the new motors down my basement stairs for safe keeping.
Like the lot that I got out in west PA a few weeks ago, these are all freshwater run motors that haven't been all salted up their whole lives.

I need to stay away from auctions, if I buy any more of these I'll have to start putting them in the living room and kitchen.

A buddy came by Saturday morning and said there's an auction near his hunting cabin in PA, lets go.
Not having anything better to do with the prospect of bad weather coming I took the ride. He brought a truck so I knew he was serious.
We got to the place late, nearly 9am and the sale was supposed to start at 9 sharp.
I didn't see many trucks or cars though and it was snowing/raining the whole way there.
It was clear at home but with dark skies.
There were two auctioneers, one working in the house, the other out back in a long chicken coop. Me and some old guy were the only two to head outside.

The place was sparsely finished off but with about 50 or so outboards, two glass boats and a few pedal boats. Plus a few steel tire tractors that looked like they hadn't moved in ages.

The auctioneer looked around, called up to the house, then started the auction. My buddy walked back around that time, but shook his head and went back in the house, but told me there's motors in the basement too.
The other guy who was looking around out back tells me he's looking to own all four pedal boats, if i leave them alone, he won't big on anything else.
I said its a deal. The auctioneer dragged his feet for a bit longer, and two more guys came out and they started the sale.
It was done in 20 minutes and I had bought 16 motors in all, and a ton of new parts. I then went inside and waited for the same auctioneer to head down the basement, where there were two unopened Force motors in boxes, and a bench with a 2x6 lip on it with 12 9.9/15hp Evinrude and Johnson motors from the 70's or 80's on it, plus some new parts in boxes.

By the time it was done, I had 29 motors and had filled the back of my buddies van with new parts, including a crap load of new props, some OMC tools, the two new Force 9.9 motors, and one new 15hp Force motor, still in the foam in a box, plus about 20 extra 9.9 covers, some spare coils, carbs, etc.
There's five new in the box 9.9 OMC blocks, dated 1982 on the boxes, a box of 6 new carbs, plus four 6 hp Johnson motors, (condition to be determined, but their not seized, one 110hp, one 90hp, with a receipt for a lower unit overhaul, and its got a white lower on a blue motor, two sets of matching controls, and a spare carb set and two power tilt units for OMC as well.
The total count now in my garage for 9.9/15hp OMC motors is nine counting those I got out in PA a few weeks ago.
I have no idea what I'm going to do with the two V4 motors but both are supposedly running motors. They're too big for my 16ft aluminum boat though.

The Force motors though are brand new, in the box. Brand new, 30 year old motors. They look like they came out of the factory yesterday.
Three are 1987, one is 1995, one in 1998.
Does anyone have any idea what something like that would even be worth?

Here's one of the covers I pulled out the box, the rest are still set in the foam in the box, and there's a few extra 9.9 covers.

View attachment 119236View attachment 119237
Brand new Force 9.9hp cover, and a brand new or close to new Evinrude Cover

90hp, VRO is a lie, its been removed on this one, and the lower unit looks like its just been worked on.
I did check the compression today on this one and got 142-149-142-144 (it was much hirer at first but the cylinders were filled with thick oil, it took good bit of cranking to clear it out and get normal readings. The 110 gave me 145-147-148-146 psi and it too was shot full of thick oil. It was too close to freezing so I didn't try to start these but my guess is their both runners, but no power tilt on either one. But there's a few factory tilt units in the lot as well.

View attachment 119235View attachment 119238View attachment 119241

A 9.9hp tiller short shaft

below, a 1989 3hp, (this makes two of these now as I got one just like it a few weeks ago)

View attachment 119239View attachment 119234

This one is a bit challenged but its got good spark and compression, but the tiller is busted completely off, it was tied to the bracket with a plastic trash bag. It came with the lot of motors, as they were auctioning them off in lots of 5 or more. After he realized there were no other bidders, he basically just counted them all up and we agreed on a price. I had to assume they were all junk though just in case.

View attachment 119243
9.9hp long shaft tiller rope start

View attachment 119242

Above, 9.9 short shaft tiller manual start only This one and its 15hp long shaft twin both look like they've barely ever seen the water.

View attachment 119240
15hp 20" shaft tiller E start

There's a few more of these as well but it stopped me at 10 pics and they all pretty much look alike. All are from the same era, 1974-85 or so. I think one long shaft 15 is an 85, but its got a 9.9 cover on it.

I swear, when I got up on Saturday I had absolutely zero intentions of buying 40 some motors or spending a dime on anything but sometimes I just can't help my self.
We ended coming back with my buddy's truck and trailer full of my stuff, he didn't buy a thing.
He looked at me funny though when I grabbed his keys and said I had to load something on the trailer. He just stood there and stared at it all when he got back to the truck around noon.
I told him I figured we might need some weight on the back if the snow keeps up. The trailer and van were nearly full. I bought lunch though.

Once back home it too both of us two hours to unload the truck and trailer and get them all into my shed and garage, plus carry the new motors down my basement stairs for safe keeping.
Like the lot that I got out in west PA a few weeks ago, these are all freshwater run motors that haven't been all salted up their whole lives.

I need to stay away from auctions, if I buy any more of these I'll have to start putting them in the living room and kitchen.
Feel free to store some in my garage !!

There seems to be a lot of 'old guys' collections for sale lately, I think we must have lost a few collectors lately.
I was at a fleamarket on Sunday and there had to be 20 old motors for sale, all priced as if they were new, but they were all gone by noon or earlier. In years past there's never been so many boats and motors for sale, especially in Feb.
I just sold a 15hp on CL, it ran and pumped water, a short shaft tiller model from '76, I put it up for $1,200, and it was gone in four hours. The buyer never even pulled the cord or lifted the cover, he just paid me and left.
You just stumbled onto a gold mine.

You do realize that your "Buddy" was a shill for the auctioneer?? His job was to get you there and help you haul the loot home. Notice HE didn't buy anything?? You'll get "that" feeling later this week......

If you got a cover from the auction for a 1997 Evinrude 115 I’ll buy it.
There's nothing that new, the 1989 110 and little 3hp were the newest motors in the lot. There is a loose earlier 140 cover, we used it to load tools and small parts in. Probably around a '78/'79 or so.

I took this morning to start checking compression on all of these and so far everything is has good compression and spark, most were lubed or fogged for storage, which slowed down the process of going through them. All the 9.9/15hp motors are really clean, their a mix of years but all look like they'd be good runners. Every one of them gave me compression in the high 140's. Most had new plugs in them.
Thinking about the whole deal up there a bit, I didn't see a single boat other than two old larger glass boats, and none of these motors were suitable for the boats that were there, the 90 and 110 were too large, and the 15hp motors would be too small.

I didn't stick around for the boats to be sold, I had no interest in a pair of old glass boats that were gutted and half stripped sitting out in the weather.

You do realize that your "Buddy" was a shill for the auctioneer?? His job was to get you there and help you haul the loot home. Notice HE didn't buy anything?? You'll get "that" feeling later this week.....

My buddy isn't a boat guy, he was looking for farm tractors and lawn equipment. He's the type that won't go near the water, he won't even walk out on a dock.

There was no mention of the sale having outboards or boat items. The flyer he had printed out said 'Contents of three story farm house and garage', It said there were antiques, furniture, kitchen wares, collectibles, and lawn mowers.
There was no vehicles, either they were already gone, or weren't being sold, and the house garage was pretty much empty.
There was a small shed with nothing but rakes, shovels, and some buckets, and two push mowers, the chicken coop was converted into a workshop, with all the dividing walls removed and beams and posts put in to support the ceiling, it was paneled inside with plywood and painted white and green. The entire length of the place had a kitchen counter type bench running along the whole back wall about 80ft long. The many of the motors were hanging on small 2x8 wood brackets attached to the walls in sections, or along a few sections of that bench that had a 2x12 attached to the front edge, and the larger motors and a few long shaft motors were on their own wooden stands with wheels. The one 110 hp was on a steel stand that someone welded up out of 2" square tubing. There was one huge motor stand, about 12ft long made from what appears to be rough sawn oak. three of us barely were able to lift it onto the trailer. It was holding 10 of the smaller motors.
Its super heavy, we had to lift one end onto a cart and wheel it off the trailer.

Stand.jpg

Latest posts