1977 9.8//110 mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Redmond

Reaction score
Took my 9.9 slash 110 mercury for its first run out on the lake today.First started it up in my garage,started on second pull.I noticed some smoke coming out of the pee hole,while it was idling in the barrel;when I would rev it up it would sort of clear it up but as soon as I would idle it it would do it again???took it out on the lake at fast speed it would do fine,ran just great, but when I would idle it again there was not much water coming out of the pee hole,the engine runs fine, doesnt sputter, and responds right away when I open up the trottle?? any opinions on this anyone, thanks. PS doesnt push anywhere near as hard, as the old evinrude 9.9 that I have back on the east coast (but its 3000 miles away)and I needed a motor to test the new jon boat that I,ve built(wood),,,,Mike

How long has it been since the impeller was changed?
The smoking should be ok my motor does it.
Have you done a compression check on the motor?

Mine does the exact same thing and just got back from the marine shop about a month ago. It did it in their tank while showing it running to me and all. I've had no problems thus far. Your thread brings up a question for me though...... The shop I took mine to said that if it is a 9.8 110 it was built only for a few years in the 50's, but your saying yours is a 77. well here is mine does yours look the same???

Attachments

• 100_3436.JPG
    100_3436.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 846
No. But I will look up something on one of the sites I visit sometimes you can tell the year of these mercs by the color of the stripes...

No. But I will look up something on one of the sites I visit sometimes you can tell the year of these mercs by the color of the stripes...According to the colors your motor is between 1970 to 1972 roughly...

You can only roughly tell by the colors. What you need to post is the serial number than you will find out what year it is.

Your motor is a early 1966.Can't ever go wrong with serial numbers.

https://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/category_s/2687.htm

The 110 is the model denoting the 9.8. I had a 75 model for quite some time. Fast little motor. I wold push my old 14' (wery narrow and very light) flat to 30mph with my then skinny 110# butt in it.

crazymanme2 said:
Your motor is a early 1966.Can't ever go wrong with serial numbers.

https://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/category_s/2687.htm

Thanks man....... I'm glad I didn't order any parts for it....lol. Thankfully the guy behind the counter was just a high school kid working the counter and not the mechanic.

Latest posts