1977 Lowe Line 1636 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigTerp said:
Can't wait to see it painted!! Did you hand sand everything?? :shock:
Hell NO! I would have sold the dang thing first. :LOL2:

I used a hand sander which was bad enough. I did hand sand some of the tough spots and I didn't take it to bare metal on the entire Jon, just the bad spots and roughed up the old paint. I post some pics tonight.

After a week of trial and error on rolling the Parker's on and using a cheap automotive sprayer (probably a nice sprayer but the operator is idiot), I took some advise from BigTerp, and picked this bad boy up at Harbor Freight (w/ coupon 8) ) today.
Img_1065.jpg
So as I talked to a few buddies, it was recommended to pick up a water filter as well.
Img_1067.jpg
And I couldn't resist one of these suits to at least look like I knew what I was doing :---)
Img_1068.jpg

Payara Expeditions said:
I'm looking which paint should i use for my boat? What to see more pictures of your project.

Is going nice!!!
Thanks! I can't wait to see it either. Should be done with second coat Tuesday.

Well I suited up and looked like an extra on some Sci-Fi movie, or some worker at an EPA clean-up site.
Img_1071.jpg

First coat is complete :p and Im starting to really like this new HVLP sprayer. I really like the coverage of Parker's paint and I must say spraying it on works much better than rolling. Below are a few pictures, one of the boat after sanding, prepping and primer, the other, when I started to roll the paint on the hull, and decided I was using more paint with less coverage.
Img_1061.jpg
Img_1062.jpg
Today, I set up a make shift paint booth in my garage and ventilated it with a large fan. Then I mixed my paint at 15% ratio, which is recommended by Parker's. After reading the sprayer instructions several times, and dialing it in, I was able to get the first coat on. I will say, it did not come without a few idiot moments, like removing the protective seals on the air filter before trying to use. I couldn't figure out why the paint wasn't coming out of the gun on full setting. #-o

All in all I'm very pleased with the paint, and I would definitely recommend if you are looking for that duck boat color scheme.
Img_1073.jpg
Img_1074.jpg

Looks good. Make sure you let it dry for a while. I trailered mine after a week of drying and still rubbed some paint off on the bunks. I recommend letting it bake in the sun if possible.

dgram36 said:
Looks good. Make sure you let it dry for a while. I trailered mine after a week of drying and still rubbed some paint off on the bunks. I recommend letting it bake in the sun if possible.
Thanks dgram! Yeah I plan to let it cure for at least 7 days before throwing it back on trailer. I wish I could let bake in sun, but a front came thru Saturday eve and it will be hanging around for a few days.

NICE!!! That sprayer works really well, especially for the price tag. I agree with what was said about giving it some cure time. I have a few spots that'll need touched up because I put mine back on the trailer to soon. But after a week+, the Parkers seems to be extremely durable. Looking good man (in the suit, of course).

BigTerp said:
NICE!!! That sprayer works really well, especially for the price tag. I agree with what was said about giving it some cure time. I have a few spots that'll need touched up because I put mine back on the trailer to soon. But after a week+, the Parkers seems to be extremely durable. Looking good man (in the suit, of course).
Thanks for the tips! Adjusting the air pressure from non-danger levels to something safe and using that HVLP sprayer from HF sure helped lot.

I know those suits serve a purpose but that sprayer had little to no over spray and I blew out the crotch as soon as I started when I bent over to adjust the regulator. $5 well spent for a good laugh! :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323186#p323186 said:
panFried » 31 minutes ago[/url]"]
BigTerp said:
Thanks for the tips! Adjusting the air pressure from non-danger levels to something safe and using that HVLP sprayer from HF sure helped lot.

I know those suits serve a purpose but that sprayer had little to no over spray and I blew out the crotch as soon as I started when I bent over to adjust the regulator. $5 well spent for a good laugh! :)

No problem.

HA!! Yeah, we had a bit of overspray when we did mine. First time using an HVLP gun, so I can't compare to anything else.

What's on deck for you now?

BigTerp said:
...What's on deck for you now?
I going to take a few measurements and start brainstorming the floor plan while the paint dries. It's moving week tomorrow, that's how I'm able to keep my hands off the boat. :)

I need to replace the gear oil on the motor and check the fuel line issue. I'd like to get the boat in the water a few times before I put decking in.

Oh and I need to check the wiring on the trailer. I think there's a short or the ground isn't functioning. Geez, while I'm at it, might as well update the bunks before I drop the new paint job on it. :p

Thanks for reminding me that I have a lot left todo. LOL!

Haven't been able to work on the boat for about a month with moving and school starting for the kids. I was able to use my gift certs for Xmas and pick up a Minne Kota bow mount. I'm hoping this will get me back into working on tin. Well see bow season starts Sunday. :)

You have inspired me into diving in on my boat. Newly purchased Lowe Line 1975 1436, 1988 15hp tiller, TM, and a classic 1974 trailer. I may look into a car booth professional repaint .

PaThwacker said:
You have inspired me into diving in on my boat. Newly purchased Lowe Line 1975 1436, 1988 15hp tiller, TM, and a classic 1974 trailer. I may look into a car booth professional repaint .
Awesome! I hope I can find some time between life and hunting to finish this paint job. I would like to see your build.

Yeah its going to be tuff to find time. Bow season, hot fall bass season, kids, commute, all of the above are motivators to drop a dime on a auto body paint job. I bought a k2500 sub as a dedicated tow vehicle. I have a hybrid camper, old town guide canoe, and traded a gun via craigslist for the tin boat. Zero cash out, and it nneeds serious paint. It is two tone rattle can green.

Gators5220 said:
Nice job on the paint man.
Hey thanks Gator! Sorry I haven't made any more progress as life and whitetail deer hunting got in way. :)
I plan to start working on the inside decking so I can mount my new minnekota bow mount; put the gift cards to good use.

Haha, I hear you. I don't really hunt, but I can understand wanting to get away and out in the woods.