270Handiman's 1649 Custom Flat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Robbie Guy said:
If you don't mind, where'd your get your CMC T/T? How much?
I'm looking for used, but not much luck.

Well, I lucked into this one. Didn't cost me a dime, just had to promise a few duck hunts down the road.

After I got the PT/T mounted, I moved on to doing a face lift on the motor.

100_3472.jpg

100_3475.jpg

100_3476.jpg

100_3478.jpg

100_3479.jpg

After I got rid of all the corrosion and sanded it all down, I applied a zinc chromate primer to all metal surfaces

100_3482.jpg

100_3483.jpg

100_3484.jpg

This was probably the worst color green I've ever seen!!!!!!! And it smells bad also!

100_3486.jpg

100_3489.jpg

Also, the worst thing about the whole motor project was getting the original stickers removed from the fiberglass hood. I used every kind of sticker removal chemical I could find and it barely touched the stuff. I pulled the paint off of the stickers really fast, but it wouldn't touch the residue underneath.

I also took the time to smooth out all of the old scratches and dings in the fiberglass hood before I repainted. Somehow I didn’t get pictures with the red filler putty on the grey and white hood with the green lower unit, but trust me, IT LOOKED BAD at that point.

But, it looks better now, and this is before all the new stickers went on!

100_3918.jpg

100_3919.jpg

100_3920.jpg

I wet-sanded the hood with 1500 grit and buffed it out with polishing compound 7 days after painting. I guess that is the reason you see so much reflection in these pictures.

Somehow, I didn't end up with any pictures of the motor right after I finished it, so I snapped this one when I went home for lunch today (unfortunately it was raining). Obviously,it is now mounted back on the boat.

100_4003.jpg

I noticed a few posts back that I never posted any pictures of the work I did on the trailer, and I think it's because I don't appear to have any!

I replaced all the bunks and carpeted them, replaced all the old bunk brackets with new ones, mounted everything with new stainless hardware, replaced the winch bracket with a new one that I had to modify to fit my application, installed a new winch, and added a transom saver. And I did all of this without ever removing the boat from the trailer. Here are a couple pictures from today in the rain that at least prove I'm not lying, lol. [-X

First, here is the picture from earlier that reminded me how bad the trailer used to look:

100_3446.jpg

Now, here are the ones from today:

100_3999.jpg

100_4000.jpg

100_4004.jpg

100_4005.jpg

100_4015.jpg

Somebody went shopping!

100_3966.jpg

100_3978.jpg

100_3977.jpg

This is 2 pieces of 4 x 8 x 1/8 plate, 1" angle, 1" tubing, and 1/2" tubing

First order of business was to get the floor down. Because the ribs of this boat are 18" on center, I decided to lay 1/2" tubing at 9" on center perpendicular to the ribs to reduce the unsupported areas of the floor. Now the largest unsupported area is 9" x 18" , versus 18" x 49" if I would not have used the tubing. (one piece of tubing is missing from these pics)

100_3974.jpg

100_3980.jpg

100_3981.jpg

100_3984.jpg

100_3985.jpg

Pulled up this thread from my bookmarks.

Has there been any updates? Or any new pictures?

Yes, a lot of work has happened since my last update. I've got pictures of everything, just haven't posted them. The boat now has an aluminum floor, extended aluminum casting deck, built in 13 gallon tank under dack, dry storage/gun box under deck, compartment for TM battery, and new fuel filter and hoses. I'm waiting on $$$ to put the Hydro-turf on all the flat surfaces.

Guess I need to try to post more pictures!

HANDI,
THERES NO WORDS FOR THIS PAINT JOB!!!!!!!!!
FREAKIN AMAZING......

YOU MUST HAVE VERY GOOD PATIENCE WHEN IT COMES TO THE LIL THINGS CAUSE I WOULD OF HAD NO MORE HAIR AFTER THAT PAINT JOB....

I HAVE TO SAY IT LOOKS FREAKIN GOOD!!!!!!

CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PICS OF THE REST OF THE BOAT WITH THE FLOOR IN IT....

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Great Job Handiman! Looking forward to pics of the Al work. I am very jealous of the Aluminum floor etc. I opted for wood. I don't regret it yet. I did everything one is suppose to do to wood to make it last. We need to post side by side picks of our custom flats projects once they are finished. I think we are the only custom flats on this forum. I have the 1654. What is the max HP for your boat?

Rellis,

I agree, we need to get some side by side shots of our custom "Custom Flats"! My boat is commercial rated and therefore doesn't have a max HP rating. It does have a recommended rating of 35 HP, but that ain't gonna happen. I have a 40 on it now, but a 60 may be next in line if this old suzuki ever gets tired.

Wow, did allot to fix that boat up looks nice. That reminds me of one of the old gator hunting boats you see in Louisiana.

Latest posts