40 hp evinrude clicking on start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lube mine once in a while. Not with grease or oil, it will gum it up. Just use something light like WD 40.

Well had a bit more trouble with the boat so didn't get to make the tourney.

Actually just took the boat out this afternoon. Ive been swamped with crew practice and work.

The engine ran ok. I think the prop is to small though. I can't even find on it what it is but it would never get the boat on plane.

It would only go about 8-10 mph at most and never on plane. When I would give it throttle it only did much at the lower even of the throttle after about 40% throttle or so even if I twisted the throttle no more power came of it.

Is this the prop?

I have a spare 12 1/2 by 13p. I wonder if that would work.

Thanks again...

Calling on you again talons!

This is a 40 HP, right?
How big and heavy is the old girl?

I have owned 4 boats in my lifetime so far:
14' home made Jon boat with three different engines; 9.8 merc old, 9.9 Johnson that the housing was about to fall apart on and a brand new 9.9 Nissan. Guess which I loved?
14' 1966 Thindercraft Tri-hull with 33 HP Evinrude that made today's 150s look small. It had electric start but no alternator
20' Seasquirt 20+ with a 200 HP evinrude with all the toys elec start, tilt trim, alternator
And the one I have now, 14' Lowe with a 20 HP Merc pull start.

All of my boat engine combos went faster than 8-10 mph and all of them got up on plane.

I think your high speed adjustment screw needs just that. You do that while out on the water actually running the boat. If you look around the carb, you will see the idle adj screw, but there is another one too. That one is the high speed adj screw. I would start there.

I do remember one day with 33 evinrude where it refused to start. I started just looking around in there and the entire idle adj screw assembly had vibrated out. I screwed it back in and she started right up. Looked at the high side while I was there and it was almost out too.

I put that on my 'keep an eye out' list for that boat and I never had a problem with that old motor again.

Talons

It's a 1988 40 hp all electric and she's pretty heavy.

Do you happen to have a picture of what these screws look like?

Also I think the engine is about a half inch high and it may have the engine out of the water to high. I do think though the prop needs to be changed since it is beat up.

Problem is though the nut won't budge. I put wd40 on it and it's so stuck it bent my metal prop wrench.

Any ideas on this as well?

fish2keel said:
It's a 1988 40 hp all electric and she's pretty heavy.
I meant the BOAT... HA HA HA!
fish2keel said:
Do you happen to have a picture of what these screws look like?
Okay, I was not quite right on that engine. It is a bit different. Here is the procedure from eHow to adjust YOUR engine's high speed.
https://www.ehow.com/how_7599758_adjust-speed-40-hp-evinrude.html
While that is HELPFUL information, at this point, I would take it to the shop. And hey, since you might need to do that for the propeller you get a twofer!
fish2keel said:
Also I think the engine is about a half inch high and it may have the engine out of the water to high. I do think though the prop needs to be changed since it is beat up.
There is a manual from Evinrude which helps select propellers... I have included the link here:
https://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-US/PropSelectionGuide_766315.pdf
Page 14 has props for your specific engine. I personally, if I could afford it, go with the Rogue in a mid torque, range (17" pitch)
fish2keel said:
Any ideas on this as well?
First off, sorry about the wrench. WD 40 takes a while to work. BUT, that may not be the problem. It may be that it is time to take it a professional to get that old one off and get a new one on there. :)

Talons

Talons,

You are awesome! Thanks so much for getting back so fast and for answering everything.

The boat is a 2002 tracker grizzly 1648. Its completely open in the boat. Its light weight. Maybe 400 lbs maybe.

Thanks for the prop link I will check that out. I have a 13 pitch but im thinking that might not be what I should use. I dont have a tack on my boat so I dont know what the rpms are.

I already emailed two boat mechanics to see if they can help me with everything. Hopefully I get a response tomorrow. I won't be able to drop it off tomorrow but will be able to tuesday at the earliest.

Ill keep you posted on everything

That is a VERY light weight ride and with 40 HP pushing it, you should be 'scared' with how fast it goes!

SO... That only means that you are doing the right thing by asking the local mechanics (who have all the RIGHT tools) for help!

Good luck dude,
Talons

Thanks talons. I called a mechanic but was told he does not do older outboards. Which is weird since the main thing I need is to get the prop off and the motor to be lowered.

Im going to call another mechanic tomorrow. For living on the water in port orange its hard to find a mechanic

Ill keep everyone updated

They get a certain age and no one wants to touch them... I had that happen too.

T

Latest posts