40 hp evinrude clicking on start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talons,

Thanks for your help! It seems like the bendix gear is not engaging. I also read the thing about the rubber mallet hammer. I feel like some times a hammer is needed but not with a piece of electrical gear.

Since its labor day no starter places will be open but I will take it tomorrow or Wed to a starter shop to see how it goes.

I read online that you can spray wd-40 on the bendix gear and it should make it work but I feel like it won't in this situation.

It is a brand new starter. I bought it brand new last week from a marine starter company. Im going to email to see what they can do about a replacement although I need one quickly because were going to make a tournament this weekend.

Not to interrupt Talons, but fish2keel, I don't recomend lubricating the bendix or starter gear. It needs some friction to climb up the starter shaft to engage the flywheel. Can you turn the gear on the starter and it move up the shaft by hand? Can you turn the motor over by hand?
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1988&hp=40&model=E40TECCS&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Electric+Starter+%26amp%3B+Solenoid
the gear #4 should move up the starter shaft when turned by hand.

Charger25 said:
Not to interrupt Talons, but fish2keel, I don't recomend lubricating the bendix or starter gear. It needs some friction to climb up the starter shaft to engage the flywheel. Can you turn the gear on the starter and it move up the shaft by hand? Can you turn the motor over by hand?
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1988&hp=40&model=E40TECCS&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Electric+Starter+%26amp%3B+Solenoid
the gear #4 should move up the starter shaft when turned by hand.
Hey man, no worries! I am just trying to help him get going!

Talons

fish2keel said:
Talons,

Thanks for your help! It seems like the bendix gear is not engaging. I also read the thing about the rubber mallet hammer. I feel like some times a hammer is needed but not with a piece of electrical gear.

Since its labor day no starter places will be open but I will take it tomorrow or Wed to a starter shop to see how it goes.

I read online that you can spray wd-40 on the bendix gear and it should make it work but I feel like it won't in this situation.

It is a brand new starter. I bought it brand new last week from a marine starter company. Im going to email to see what they can do about a replacement although I need one quickly because were going to make a tournament this weekend.
Okay, TOURNAMENT? This is IMPORTANT information.

Stop the presses. Remove the starter and the boat battery. Take those with you to the place you are going on Weds to get the starter REPLACED! When you get the new one in the box, have them SHOW you that the thing works before you take it home. I say this because we are now in 'CRITICAL TIMING' area. YOU are going fishing on a Tournament on Saturday. The last thing you need is an unreliable starter on board.

This is where I walk into the shop with my BNS and my battery and tell them, "Hey, this one ain't working right, can we get this solved pronto because I have a tournament on Saturday and I don't want to have an unreliable starter on board?"

They will all smile and bend over backwards to help you get that fixed. Why??? Because they would LOVE to be in your position for Saturday!

Talons

Talons,

That gave me a good laugh but I understand what your saying. I plan to take it in wed with my battery and show them the problem. I hope it gets resolved. I also emailed the original company I ordered the starter from to see what they will do about it not working properly.

Charger,

The gear on the starter can move but it will not go up the shaft. It did when it was new in the box but not since I put it on the outboard and hooked up a battery to it. Other than about three small times and then that was it. Now it just spins. I tried moving it by hand earlier today and it just wont budge. I can turn the fly wheel on the motor by hand but can not crank it by hand its electric only

Thanks for the help guys! Im trying to make it work thanks to yall

BTW, when they all done helpin' you fix your problem at the starter store, slip one of them a $5. He will remember you if you have to bring it back like the next because something didn't actually work correctly.

Talons

Talons,

Can you for that advice. I will def. do that.

Its to bad that I couldn't get it fixed myself but thats ok I suppose

Thanks again

Some things we can fix...
Some thing we can't fix...
Just like Congress though, we can THROW money at the problem until it goes away!

Anyway, you are welcome. If you had more time, you could do more, but dude, Tournament Saturday!

Talons

Well I took the starter to a starter shop today. The company finally returned my phone call by email saying I can ship it back to them to get looked at.

The starter shop is one of the most recommended shops in my area and he had a whole bunch of outboard starters he was working on. He said he was pretty sure of the problem because the bendix was stuck and was not allowing it to engage. He also said his turn around time was 24 hours! He took it from me, shook me hand and went over to his bench and started working on it for me. The gentleman is older and seems to know his stuff.

Ill keep everyone posted. I told him I didnt need it back in 24 hours but by friday and he said no problem so Ill let everyone know the results when I get it back.

Talons, Thanks again for all your help

Dude, you are quite welcome.
And I hope he keeps his end of the bargain, but I have found those old boys that deal with handshakes KNOW what they be talking about.

Talons
p.s. GOOD LUCK!

So I got the phone call from the starter repair guy. What a nice guy and got it done in 24 hours.

What had happened was that the parts that were used inside the starter were cheap parts basically. The spline was not machined right and none of the gears were lubed. He replaced everything that needed to be replaced, replaced the pinion gear and also lubed up everything. It came to 25 bucks. Wow! Can't ask for anything better!

Last thing to get is a trolling motor battery and we will be fishing on saturday and sunday!

Thanks again everyone!

Charger25 said:
Glad ya got it figured out, good luck this weekend. I'll be cutting grass :cry:
Happy you got 'er done!
Walmart will have those other items.

Now go and fish that tourney!
Talons

Talons or anyone,

I have a question. I got the motor to turn over today. The starter worked great. Now here is my question.

When I plugged my electric ignition cables into the battery and started to crank the motor the terminals and wires from the battery to the outboard got really hot. To the point I couldn't touch them at the battery end.

I have read that it can be from the cables actually being bad on the inside. So I want to replace them. How do I go about doing that? What size wire? Leads and etc?

Thanks guys!

Marine battery cables. The starter guy probably has some.
Talons

I have 4 gauge cables that are marine copper cables I bought from west marine. Is that the correct size or should I go larger?

Ok. If they are about the size of a car battery wire (the thick one) then that will probably be ok.
Try them. Marine wire is different than car wire.

If it feels like it is going to melt after the engine cranks, then I'm stumped. But I have a feeling that they won't.

Old boats with old gear sometimes need a lot of loving'.

Talons

I understand. The wire that was on the engine in the first place I believe was just to old. When I cut it open it was black as if it was burnt.

Im going to try these new marine copper lines and see what happens. If they burn up then ill go use a 2 gauge and if that doesn't work then its back to the repair shop....

ill keep everyone posted

It lives!!!!!

I put some new 4 gauge marine copper wires on the outboard and to the battery that was freshly charged. I then hooked up my gas tank and it was turning over but not firing. I then saw that I had turned I guess a solenoid of some sort off. The orange knob on the left side of the outboard by the carbs.

I flipped that gave it a push of the ignition and she roared to life. Smoked pretty good but I guess thats because its been over a year since shes been cranked last. It sounded great! I was like a kid in a candy store hearing her fire up!

Now if the weather will work good for me I'll be out on the water running the marsh tomorrow after class lets out!

Thanks guys for all the help with everything! I couldn't have done it without you!

I've been following this and now I feel like I've learned something.

I bought my Johnson new in '97 and the gear would go up the starter shaft to the flywheel when it felt like it. I did a little lubing and not much better. I took her to the shop where I bought her, and I guess my lubing had taken, because the mechanic could not get it to repeat the sticking.

This site is the best!!!