60's Sportsman runabout

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troutman3000 said:
What is a countersink tool? Also how much did that kit cost?

A countersink tool or bit is used typically with flathead screws in wood to - countersink - them. As you can see from the pic, the bit will drill a "V" shaped hole into the material allowing the flathead screw to be flushed with the top of the material. You would just drill the countersink deep enough to flush the screw or deep enough to accept a filler of some kind if you wanted the screws covered. In my case I just drilled enough to widen the hole on the outside surface so the "V" shaped hole would effectively lock the epoxy in place.

countersink.jpg

I paid just under $10 for the little drill set. I got it because the holes are so small and an angle grinder would have been overkill. It worked really well but was a little coarser than need be. I still have to go over the whole thing once more with a fine grit of some kind so the grinding marks should come out.

I finished filling the holes, sanding etc. and realized that before I could turn the boat over and work on the top I needed to fix the trailer. I pitched the old bunks because they were so crappy and thought I might as well get the trailer ready now so I don't ruin the finish on the boat when I'm done painting. Taking the trailer apart was pretty straight forward...

P1010009.jpg

..with only one surprise. I guess if the wheels don't fit the hub you just need to get a cutting torch and make the hole bigger. This is called creating your own reality. At least the bolt pattern is correct. Once again, I'm going to guess that this was no factory job.

P1010003-2.jpg

How big is your living room?
You gotta prioritize....

:LOL2:

I built an engine for a Triumph motorcycle in the kitchen of my first house.My wife and I were working opposite shifts. She would have never known except I fell asleep once and left the cylinder jugs in the dish washer. True story...... Todd

That's a funny dishwasher story...I'd get caught because my partner T is finishing her masters right now and spends a lot of time reading and writing at home. I guess I could work on the motor except it's a 40hp and is too heavy to be moving around all the time. With the weather as it is today, I should just hibernate...

How would your wife feel about moving the living room furniture outside for a little 'air'?
:lol:

We've had a pretty cool and rainy spring here. Having had no rain for 2 days in a row, I got back to work on the trailer for the sportsman. I'm still stripping the paint on the frame - should finish that tonight. I'm wondering though if there is any reason I should not strip and paint the axle and springs. I'm also wondering about painting the wheels. Should I take the tires off and completely strip them? I can't remember whether the inside (the part of the wheel inside the tire) is raw steel or painted. I don't want to compromise the seal on the tubeless tires. I am looking forward to getting the trailer back together so I can turn the boat over, get it back on the trailer and start on the inside. More to come...(I hope).

It's been over three years since I've done any work on this. Monsoon springs, very hot summers, falling off a ladder and going to the hospital, working too much and on and on...

but now that I'm retired it's time to get back at it. Last fall because I had to clean out the garage I was forced to put the trailer back together and get the boat back on it before winter. I'll post some about that at some point. Nothing big really, just paint and assemble. I was in a hurry so of course I'll be doing some things over again.

Today I got to work on the top of the boat for the time since I finished stripping the hull and filling the holes in August 2010! That's almost four years ago. I can't believe it has been that long. I guess it's going to take a bit to figure out where I left off and what I want to do. I have a lot to do.

Today I got to filling all the holes in the hood except for the two large ones. A former owner used a screwdriver to make the holes so they were kind of a mess. I decided to cut out around them with a hole saw to make them regular and I will make some patches with the same hole saw to fill them. I don't know if some kind of epoxy will hold in a backer to support the patches or if I need to have them welded on. Anyway, for now that's a little progress.

Glad to see you didn't abandon the project. Three years and you may be in contention for longest "one of these days" awards. :)

Welcome back.

=D>

I uncovered the boat again today trying to figure out where I left off and what's next. I've actually uncovered it a few times in the last month but today I started messing around with a few things. I'm reviewing the plans I made almost four years ago to see if I still agree with myself after all this time. Yes and no.

One thing for sure I haven't changed my mind about is what an outrage the PO committed on this boat. Holes below the waterline, goo everywhere, no structural support across the boat when the seats were removed. It's a wonder the thing survived at all. And let's not forget the holes for the radio antenna and what not. I may be a snob but I am of the opinion that it generally takes only a little more money and time to do a thing properly. I'm not into things being done half-assed and it raises the other issue - doing something because you can doesn't mean that you should.

I'm starting to look into the inside and figure out how I am going to configure the seats etc. While I'm thinking I decided to make a few tests on cleaning the interior and polishing up some of the aluminum extrusions. There's a lot of oxidation or crud or something built up on it since I finished stripping it way back when. I started with a wire brush and a drill today to see how things would polish up and it should work pretty well. You can kind of see in the photo the difference before and after.

The inside has some kind of factory coating, a splatter paint that may have been done just to cut the reflection from inside of the boat. I did some tests to see about cleaning it up a bit but as I'll be spraying on another coat of something similar I don't have to strip it completely. I found a Rust-Oleum product I thought would work. It's a texture paint that would work nicely but after I got it home noticed it was for indoor use. I'm not quite sure why that is but I don't think I'll take a chance.

I'm going to paint the area below the floor with the bed liner paint many people here have used.

I've decided not to paint the whole boat as I originally thought. I am going to polish up the gunnels and the chines

paint the upper part off white and the hood the aqua color I used on the trailer.

Soon I am going to get out the cardboard and start to model what the interior will look like. The seats are a bit of a mystery as I don't want to sink a bunch of dough into them. I'd love to have two upholstered bench seats that would fit into the contours of the interior but too much $. I have to get rid of the boat once I've finished it and I'll never get out of it what I put in if I'm not careful.

Latest posts