88 Tracker Pro17 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol awesome. What kind of rivets do you plan on using? Solid? Or do they make "pop" style closed end rivets in 1/4" size?

I got some solid aluminum rivets ordered this evening from jay-cee , I know I will probably need more.
got some of the current size in the ribs and keel 3/16 x 7/16
and some 1/4 x 7/16 for any that may need to be drilled a little bigger
a bucking bar
and the bits for my air hammer

Plan on doing some practice with this stuff when I get it , as I have no experience in it .
Anyone with any pointers , advise is always welcome :)

other than that just going to keep sanding and cleaning the bottom till I can get her welded

JMill said:
Lol awesome. What kind of rivets do you plan on using? Solid? Or do they make "pop" style closed end rivets in 1/4" size?

Are the keel rivets 1/4"
I haven't removed any yet , I thought they were 3/16" also , definitely need more if that's the case

Man, I am loving your cranes, dollies, not sure what the proper terminology is but, wow they are cool! Build is looking good so far brotha!!!

trackerpuzzle said:
Got the stress cracks cleaned up pretty good

Plans were to keep the bare aluminum on the bottom but it has some pitting where she sits on the bunks , so it's going to get a little epoxy and steelflex or wetlander

Got one side of the bottom wire brushed around the rivets and sanded with 120 grit

You've got me worried about my hull where the bunks rest now! Guess I'll be yanking her off the trailer and doing a through search. Sheesh! Does it ever end?? Lol. I'm already scatter brained enough on what I'm going to do each day!

DarynCashmark said:
Man, I am loving your cranes, dollies, not sure what the proper terminology is but, wow they are cool! Build is looking good so far brotha!!!
lol thanks - not sure I would have done all that If I would have had to buy the 4x4's , but they worked great .

Jmill said:
You've got me worried about my hull where the bunks rest now! Guess I'll be yanking her off the trailer and doing a through search. Sheesh! Does it ever end?? Lol. I'm already scatter brained enough on what I'm going to do each day!
lol haha that will probably be the easiest part of the whole project , don't know what caused the pitting , from what I have read on here could have been from treated lumber being used on the bunks or from letting salt water dry on the bunk carpet(the boat originally came from Georgia) I would give her a peek just for peace of mind :D

making progress , nothing too interesting. Got the exterior of the hull about 90% prepped. Would be done but I flipped the hull back over so I can get it back on the trailer & take to the welder.

got about 4' of this left to clean off

Been really going through the "Sanding Aid" :LOL2:

flipped it back over last night and started doing MORE sanding and prep on the inside today

Also I got my rivets this week and played with a couple of them in some scrap . I had read somewhere that using an air hammer instead of a fancy "rivet gun"
is like using a sledge hammer vs. a body hammer . After bucking ( correct terminology?) a few test rivets in some scrap I'm pretty confident it will work just fine with the pressure turned down and short bursts .

Got the three rear ribs out

lots of crap to clean

I think with this and all of the rivets I have removed I have around 190 holes :shock:
should have just put some caulk on the 6 leaky ones and went fishing :LOL2:

Looking good bud! You should have chosen "Rivetmaster" as your nickname for the forum. That is a lot of rivets! That hull is going to be better than a new one when you are done. :D

Thanks Daryn , hopefully it don't turn into a "rivet disaster" :lol:

Took a break from the deconstruction to do a little reconstruction. I got the patch panels made. Probably could make them in 10 min. with a break and shear, took me alittle bit longer by hand.

wish I had a welder in my garage! (and could weld aluminum) :lol:

thin coat of 5200 fast cure and some temporary bolts (will be replaced with rivets when the ribs are reinstalled)

Had good squeeze out all the way around the plate . I only installed one today , so I could put my drop light close for a little heat overnight
Feels GOOD to do something going in the opposite direction no matter how small :LOL2:

Wow, that patch plate looks Super Pro brotha! That fit looks almost perfect from the photos! Really nice work. Going to be done before ya know it. :D

I love how you invented a break out of angle iron and some clamps!

Two thumbs up!!!

But for what it's worth, if you look in your phone book under "steel supply" or "Welders" or "Metal Fabricators", you should be able to find a qualified welder locally. I've done this several times, and it seems that they all have a soft-spot for boat projects! To weld those plates in, Dominion Steel in Fredericksburg, VA would probably charge $20. They re-welded a complete transom cap for me for $60, and it was pretty complicated.

I've given this advice to a number of people, and they all came back later with big thanks. Just figured I'd mention this, since you are still in the middle of it. It saves a TON of time to just take it to them and have them buzz all the bad spots. Then you can run an angle grinder over them to flatten them out, and go from there.

Either way, best wishes!

-Tony

WELDER! I don't need no stinkin welder. I got "ree-vits" 8)
obres5.gif

Yea wish I had a go to shop close by
thanks for the comments guys