A new old guy!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Don

Reaction score
Hey, I live on Lake O' the Pines in Lone Star Texas.
I was gifted an EldoCraft 6603 14ft 1965 and trailer.
Don't know much about Eldo-Craft or 6603 it seems
like a good little Jon boat. Will post some pictures
soon.
The boat was born in 65 and me in 55 just
two old geezers on the lake.
Bought a new 12hp Hangkia motor and a Kota 30.
Don't plan on doing much to it but things change
and maybe a burst of energy might happen.
The main thing I want to do is put the battery and
gas tank in the front bench seat and maybe flooring.
Also, buy a new seat and move the big one closer
to the right side of the boat.
Things that would be neat to do is a really long list,
but I'd rather go fishing.
Just Don

Hey, I live on Lake O' the Pines in Lone Star Texas.
I was gifted an EldoCraft 6603 14ft 1965 and trailer.
Don't know much about Eldo-Craft or 6603 it seems
like a good little Jon boat. Will post some pictures
soon.
The boat was born in 65 and me in 55 just
two old geezers on the lake.
Bought a new 12hp Hangkia motor and a Kota 30.
Don't plan on doing much to it but things change
and maybe a burst of energy might happen.
The main thing I want to do is put the battery and
gas tank in the front bench seat and maybe flooring.
Also, buy a new seat and move the big one closer
to the right side of the boat.
Things that would be neat to do is a really long list,
but I'd rather go fishing.
Just Don
Tis the season! I just bought a project boat that is elderly (as am I 😁) so if there are archives that may be helpful please direct me.
Winter project is transom, changing interior/exterior colors, and floor replacement.

Tis the season! I just bought a project boat that is elderly (as am I 😁) so if there are archives that may be helpful please direct me.
Winter project is transom, changing interior/exterior colors, and floor replacement.
Not much to find about them the company was in Smackover AR before being sold to a company up north in the 80's. I have had the boat for a year and never found anything about them. ARROW GLASS BOAT COMPANY VIN Lookup | Hull Id Number Decoder | Boat History Report

If we lived close enough we could start an old geezer coffee club and solve our boat problems.

I have to ask, what made you choose that brand of engine? I would have gone with an established brand with good dealership or service options near by.

If it was cheap enough, I would take the chance on it for a low-power outboard.

Not too long ago, Tohatsu was a "no-name" motor, and now small Mercurys ARE Tohatsu.
This one might be a great little motor. They copied Mercury's style, so maybe THEY will be the ones making Mercury motors soon.

I have to ask, what made you choose that brand of engine? I would have gone with an established brand with good dealership or service options near by.
I'm proud that you can do what you can afford to do. The established companies are twice as much, and dealerships have to make a living.

Most importantly, I'm an old guy trying to live on a fixed income with clowns in the white house, the congress, and the senate.

I felt like it was a good deal for "me", and it's done a good job so far with no interest for a year.
Not one established company would do that without wanting almost twice as much.

If it was cheap enough, I would take the chance on it for a low-power outboard.

Not too long ago, Tohatsu was a "no-name" motor, and now small Mercurys ARE Tohatsu.
This one might be a great little motor. They copied Mercury's style, so maybe THEY will be the ones making Mercury motors soon.
Thank you, I paid $1200. It does what I need.

Last edited:
Hangkia 12 hp is a knockoff of a Tohatsu 9.9 which cost $2890.
My Hangkia 12hp cost me $1200 interest-free for a year.
I can buy all my parts from Tohatsu because they fit mine.
Easy choice for a first-time boater owner.

Well I held my tongue at first, but since I didn't start it, I'll go ahead and state the obvious. That motor looks like crap on that boat. For a lot less money you could have picked up a vintage motor and had a snazzy looking rig. Just my opinion, but some things just don't go together. Your money though and I can't see it from my house, so carry on.

I'm with Don on this one. Vintage motors are great, but for day in and day out use, a simple newer motor is a better choice for MOST guys.

How long is the warranty on that motor?