A new old guy!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I held my tongue at first, but since I didn't start it, I'll go ahead and state the obvious. That motor looks like crap on that boat. For a lot less money you could have picked up a vintage motor and had a snazzy looking rig. Just my opinion, but some things just don't go together. Your money though and I can't see it from my house, so carry on.
I was hoping I'd get your approval it sure screwed up my day, lol. I did look for an older vintage model so why don't you send me a vintage one? I can see your point of view.
I didn't have the cash it would take apparently you didn't read that part. To get an old motor running you do know how much a boat mechanic costs and this starts easy enough for me.
Far as a lot less money that's darn funny.

Last edited:
If it's true that you can buy Tohatsu parts for this motor, that is a very good thing.
That's what I have read people have bought a 9'9 that fits this and is a lot cheaper. Also, you don't have to wait as long.

If Hangkai did as good of a job copying tohatsu as Harbor Freights predator engines copied Honda I wouldn't be afraid to try one. The price is similar to what a well used 25-35yr old 2 stroke of similar size sells for around here. The looks remind me of mid-late 90s nissan 2 stroke. Tohatsu produced those for nissan so not suprising.

I'm proud that you can do what you can afford to do. The established companies are twice as much, and dealerships have to make a living.

Most importantly, I'm an old guy trying to live on a fixed income with clowns in the white house, the congress, and the senate.

I felt like it was a good deal for "me", and it's done a good job so far with no interest for a year.
Not one established company would do that without wanting almost twice as much.
My concern is a break down and no available parts. If it is a copy of another manufacturer maybe you can use those parts, but that's just a maybe. If you can secure some of the essentials before you will need them. Peace.

I understand the OP's reason for making this purchase and I genuinely hope this little engine gives him a dozen years or more of reliable service. You work with what you have and so it goes. I found out a hard lesson as a kid buying a Sears 7.5, lucky for me the 1 yr guarantee got me my investment back and I bought a Johnson the following year.. My intention is not to bash anyone, but more of a buyer beware type of post. Videos are readily available for this brand of engine, and I recommend anyone considering this brand go in with an open mind and eyes. The old expression, "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. It seems while you can get the "real" parts for this engine, attaching them to a base that is sub par won't make this a keeper IMO. Peace.

In an effort to be fair, this is a more positive review, but there is a substantial amount of corrosion still.

Last edited:
Well I held my tongue at first, but since I didn't start it, I'll go ahead and state the obvious. That motor looks like crap on that boat. For a lot less money you could have picked up a vintage motor and had a snazzy looking rig. Just my opinion, but some things just don't go together. Your money though and I can't see it from my house, so carry on.
If I could remove all the vehicles on the road that I thought were ugly, there would be no traffic jams !! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so they say, fine with me as long as it isn't my eyes !! There are times when function overcomes beauty and this might just be one of those times......

I understand the OP's reason for making this purchase and I genuinely hope this little engine gives him a dozen years or more of reliable service. You work with what you have and so it goes. I found out a hard lesson as a kid buying a Sears 7.5, lucky for me the 1 yr guarantee got me my investment back and I bought a Johnson the following year.. My intention is not to bash anyone, but more of a buyer beware type of post. Videos are readily available for this brand of engine, and I recommend anyone considering this brand go in with an open mind and eyes. The old expression, "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. It seems while you can get the "real" parts for this engine, attaching them to a base that is sub par won't make this a keeper IMO. Peace.

In an effort to be fair, this is a more positive review, but there is a substantial amount of corrosion still.

You don't give up, do you? Go start another post doing a buyer warning over there on your post.
I'm just trying to show my stuff off like everyone else who is on this forum but some Karen the troll comes be bopping along.
I actually think you are an old pompous-*** windbag and have probably gone through life knowing everything but good manners.

Last edited:
Yep, depending on where you live, some folks think there boats and motors are gold !! Even though they ask that much, doesn't mean they will get that much out it. I do know that I wouldn't pay that much for one.
Totally agree.

So which is it, this or the Good day ? Hey, I posted two video's one that knocked your engine and to be as fair as I could one that complimented your engine.
Maintenence is everything, we all know that, in that first video, it was very obvious that motor recieved no care. If Don takes care of his and uses it in fresh water it may well last a lifetime. There is another video on a boating forum that shows a 90's something Evinrude that looks far worse than the bad one showed in that first video, just shows name may not that big a difference !!