another wiring question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinsquid

Reaction score
i have a HF trailer that i tow with a S10 pickup .the fuse for the brake lights kept blowing so i decided to start from scratch because the way it was wired before i got it was a mess . i installed new lights replaced the wiring harness , ran grounds from the studs on both lights , grounded the white wire to the trailer with a self tapper (scuffed the paint first for all the grounds ) the fuse doesn't blow anymore but if i turn on the headlights and go to use the turn signal both lights blink . without the headlights on every thing works fine . i'd figure i'd put that out there and see if anyone has an idea
thanks

If everything works fine on truck. And only trailer gets weird with lights on. I'd isolate the ground from the trailer and check it to the system grd of the truck. Good known ground. if you just pull some temporary wires to the tail lights of the trailer eliminate possible bad trailer grounding problem. Make sure you are using the same ground on both lights If that doesn't cure it...I bet it's something else. :lol:

Bad grounds cause more trouble than any other thing when it comes to trailer wiring. It can cause some strange symptoms. Take a jumper cable and connect to the frame of the tow vehicle and to the frame of the trailer to make sure it is grounded. Then recheck your lights. Nine times out of ten your problem will be solved.

Ditto on what KMixon said and also check hitch ball for rust and sand if needed.
Also check the connetor from the truck for any corrosion.
Good luck!! Scott

thanks for the replies , i think i figured out my problem . since i know everything on the trailer is wired right now i decided to check the truck side , the truck allready had the plug when i got it so i assumed #-o it was done right ,insead of just using a T connector it was hard wired into the harness so i did it the correct way and now everything seems to be working correctly

Latest posts