Badbaggers SeaArk 1872 Modification & Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have any experience at all with jet drives so I just have to go by what the research says and word of month,

They get shallow no doubt my concern would be how durable they are. Running that shallow you’re going to suck stuff up, that’s a given. Will they last, or are you going to be changing out bushings seals and impellers every other week?

Tunnel hulls work great with conventional lower units. If the tunnel is built right it forces the water up at the back of the transom and floods the lower unit so you can get it jacked up…………………. :mrgreen:
I’m going to let you be the Guinea big for this one BB. :LOL2: Besides I’m probably 2 years away from my next build.

Country Dave said:
I do not have any experience at all with jet drives so I just have to go by what the research says and word of month,

They get shallow no doubt my concern would be how durable they are. Running that shallow you’re going to suck stuff up, that’s a given. Will they last, or are you going to be changing out bushings seals and impellers every other week?

Tunnel hulls work great with conventional lower units. If the tunnel is built right it forces the water up at the back of the transom and floods the lower unit so you can get it jacked up…………………. :mrgreen:
I’m going to let you be the Guinea big for this one BB. :LOL2: Besides I’m probably 2 years away from my next build.
I have personally met Sonny (owner of Sonny's Marine in Port O'Connor, Texas) and he has been running these rigs and selling them along with modified hulls that Alweld makes per his specifications and has no problems running all over the bays and marsh here. The guy knows his stuff and is helping me with my build so I don't waste time, money and effort in building a jet skiff that does not perform well in this area. Sure the impellers wear and suck shells and trash up but people run over obstructions all the time with prop boats and knock off lower units and shear prop blades too. A new impeller is $350-400 and can be shimmed with washers on the shaft to adjust the tolerance between the tapered liner and impeller as it wears.
Not defending anyone, just stating I have been researching jet units, hull design etc for a while now to make sure I am making a sound decision. If it doesn't end up working the way I want all I have to do is make my tunnel deeper, bolt on a prop lower unit and lower my jack plate. It should work out fine though.
I'd go for it and test the waters!

Hey thanks Smack, I'm probably a year or so out. Going to research the heck out of tunnels and the design. Indeed folks around here with prop tunnels do push their luck. The skinnier they go and the more they push their luck, whap ding boom.
There goes a lower unit. One guy in particular loves his jet OB but has serious issues with it getting clogged up with matted grass on the flats and constantly bitches. On the other hand, I'd imagine a tunnel that is done right and run with a prop vs jet won't have those issues. Sonny has a great site.

Thanks for the info smack,

In a perfect world right. :LOL2: Everything has its pros and cons. Again I’ve never had a jet drive other than a seadoo so forgive my ignorance. I never had any problems with sucking up debris but I also wasn’t running it in 5” of water.
A little deferent set up than a jet drive outboard. Anyway I agree conventional lower unit verses a jet drive lower unit on a tunnel hull to get skinny,” jet drive hands down” There are some tradeoffs there is no perfect solution. Maybe a caterpillar drive……………………. :mrgreen:

BB I know you are a research junky not unlike myself so please let us know your finding and conclusions. Smack I can’t wait to see you skiff when it’s done and see how it performs. I’m sure it’s going to be bad azz.

Country Dave said:
Thanks for the info smack,

In a perfect world right. :LOL2: Everything has its pros and cons. Again I’ve never had a jet drive other than a seadoo so forgive my ignorance. I never had any problems with sucking up debris but I also wasn’t running it in 5” of water.
A little deferent set up than a jet drive outboard. Anyway I agree conventional lower unit verses a jet drive lower unit on a tunnel hull to get skinny,” jet drive hands down” There are some tradeoffs there is no perfect solution. Maybe a caterpillar drive……………………. :mrgreen:

BB I know you are a research junky not unlike myself so please let us know your finding and conclusions. Smack I can’t wait to see you skiff when it’s done and see how it performs. I’m sure it’s going to be bad azz.
Dave, yours and Badbaggers are the builds that set the bar for me. Everyone has nice builds on this site but something draws me to you guys projects.
An old jet head from down here showed me a trick with a jet foot where you remove the grates completely and run two stainless rods through the foot about 1/4" below the impeller and it will allow the grass to get chopped up and barfed out without stopping the pump up. Everything is a compromise when it comes to boats but figuring out how to build them the way you want is the fun part. Id rather go with modifying a boat like these than buying one pre made, it doesn't seem as satisfying!
Badbagger, i will give you the floor now, sorry if I hijacked your thread!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321173#p321173 said:
Badbagger » 22 minutes ago[/url]"]Smack no worries bro.. I'm anxious to see your finished project and thanks for the compliments.

X2 Happy 4th guys............................... :mrgreen:

Thanks Dave and a belated Happy 4th to you as well. Hope all is well. Found out what the deal is with the rod holder. My buddy shipped it out and went away on business for 10 days. So he comes home and it's on his door step :shock: It was 2" over sized so UPS sends it back to Atlanta, re-routes it and then back to him so he can repackage it lol. I'd think UPS would have saved money by just bringing me that **** rod holder!

So it's back on the way tomorrow. My SeaDek is in with the name of the boat and going to try to pick it up tomorrow. Been looking around at tunnels for skinny water and a bay boat to play around inshore and near shore. So far, dollar for dollar in the pre-owned market the Hydra Sports Baybolt 23' is a good value. Big, wide *** beam and stout but HEAVY and you need at least a 250 to move it well. Time will tell. Figure I'm a year out since the better half graduates from the COM in May and then we'll be dealing with moving... oh HAPPY DAY! NOT but at least more likely than not we'll be headed south and probably in the Tampa area. Kevin has been a big help there.

HMMMM.....already thinking about another boat...... :lol: There are so many glass boats for sale over here.......many good deals. Just remember that those big ole motors like to drink some gas.

Absolutely Kevin and yep those 300 HP engines can't drink fuel but such is life. You're going to pay for play but it's all well worth it. Buddy of mine here who runs offshore weekly averages $4k in fuel ONLY per month let along the rest of the expenses.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321572#p321572 said:
Badbagger » Today, 09:28[/url]"]Absolutely Kevin and yep those 300 HP engines can't drink fuel but such is life. You're going to pay for play but it's all well worth it. Buddy of mine here who runs offshore weekly averages $4k in fuel ONLY per month let along the rest of the expenses.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well FINALLY UPS got their act together - They're CLOWNS and I just don't like using them. None the less, my rod holder made it. I think it turned out pretty **** good. I spent about $15 in PVC at Lowe's and a good amount of time measuring and taking everything into consideration. Then made up a drawing in photoshop and sent it off to my buddy David. He hit it out of the park =D>

He could NOT have done better if he were here taking measurements himself and the price was OUTSTANDING. I've got $265 into it shipped to me. Locally, the cheapest was double that. Now to get more stainless and mount it. The the final task, mount the boat name and she's officially done.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 1,025
Awesome! I would love to try trolling for grouper, I've only jigged grass flats and done live bait on the salt. I know how to troll in fresh water, would love to hear some of them toothy critters peel drag off that rod holder. Looks awesome! =D>

Thank you sir... Grouper is closed in our area right now in state waters and open in federal waters... crazy system they have here. MOST of the state is open.... no worries, going to mount this soon :LOL2:

Thanks Dave, going to clear some time today and get it put on if the weather holds out & pick up my SeaDek and the name will be FINALLY disclosed :lol:

Rod holder installed and a bit of a chore it was HOT HOT HOT out side. Close to 100 plus the extreme humidity but got er dun !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 942
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 942
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 942

Latest posts