Badbaggers SeaArk 1872 Modification & Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughters Iphone got dropped and she was only able to retrieve 3 photos but better than nothing. These were taken on Sunday when it wasn't blowing at all.
My short trout & daughter and son in-law to be.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1,234
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,234
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,234
Rod holder is almost done, just had a chat with my buddy on location of rod holders & angles etc. Ships to me tomorrow after he welds them up later today.
Can't beat it, $225 for a custom fabbed holder with 4 rod holders. Unheard of around here.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,163
Thanks Dave & nor can I. It's on the way. Going to make a run out Wednesday morning to wet the lines and Thursday is out since I've got a doc appt in the morning for a checkup. Ugh.... rather be fishing or catching.

When that rod holder gets done post as many pics as possible. I will be needing one for my boat and Id like to see what you come up with.

Will do, it'll be this week. He shipped it out UPS to me so I'm thinking it'll be here Wed or Thursday. I HIGHLY recommend making a mock up using PVC from HD or Lowes. I spent about $15 and worth every penny to make certain I got what I wanted measurement wise. David tells me this thing will tow a **** truck and knowing him, I believe it.

Still a no show on the trolling rod holder THANKS UPS.. I have learned to HATE UPS lately!

None the less, been thinking of my next project boat. It's GOT to go super skinny... easy nuff for one person and have a decent beam and relatively light weight. Regardless if we end up staying here in the Tallahassee area after the better half graduates in May or we move to the Tampa area, SKINNY is in.

Folks have mentioned Gheenoes but never been in one and not sure I"m so sold on those.

The first thing that comes to mind would be: Tunnel hull and jet... going to have to think LONG and hard on this one. I want something different and something that will work. A boat that'll take a little bit of a pounding on the way to the skinny water is also important and one that can cross some open water which let's out a Gheenoe....

Hey Dave, what cha think bro ?

sounds like your boat, except with a tunnel and a jet....

I think one of the actual jet hulls with an "inboard" jet might fit what you're looking for? but "cross open water" "take a beating" and "go super shallow" Don't fit any one hull. (personal opinion, know absolutely nothing about ocean hulls) You need a mud boat that can skeeter along in 1-2 inches at full throttle :D:D:D One of the manufacturers makes a surface drive with reverse....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320662#p320662 said:
Badbagger » Yesterday, 16:44[/url]"]Still a no show on the trolling rod holder THANKS UPS.. I have learned to HATE UPS lately!

None the less, been thinking of my next project boat. It's GOT to go super skinny... easy nuff for one person and have a decent beam and relatively light weight. Regardless if we end up staying here in the Tallahassee area after the better half graduates in May or we move to the Tampa area, SKINNY is in.

Folks have mentioned Gheenoes but never been in one and not sure I"m so sold on those.

The first thing that comes to mind would be: Tunnel hull and jet... going to have to think LONG and hard on this one. I want something different and something that will work. A boat that'll take a little bit of a pounding on the way to the skinny water is also important and one that can cross some open water which let's out a Gheenoe....

Hey Dave, what cha think bro ?

Hey brother I just saw you’re post,

Well I guess I’m going to let the cat out of the bag and tell you what my next build will be. First and for most it has to be a welded hull, not that riveted boats are bad mine you, it’s just that welded boats are a little better and more rigged.
15/48 mod V that has a flat bottom or very little deadrise like my 1752.

But hers the kicker, a 20 inch hunt deck which is basically a big float pod. Wait it gets better, the hunt deck/float pod has a tunnel built in to it. So it really 16 ½ /48 with a jack plate and a smaller motor like a 50hp max.
The smaller motor is well just that, smaller and shorter so you can get skinny.

I just don’t know about the jet drive, perhaps one of the jet boys will chime in. I’ve heard they suck up a lot of sand and other chit and that’s not good. I don’t have any experience with jet drives so I don’t know.
A tunnel hull with a prop drive works real well. Well that’s my vision. I don’t know of anyone doing that yet but I think it would be the ultimate skinny water boat. Lots of fab but hey that’s why they call it a project right.
:mrgreen:

Dave sounds awesome. Did more research locally and a LOT of folks running jets. Basically not so good in areas with a lot of grass and the like as it gets sucked into the engine and the same for running in areas with a lot of mud. They've invariably got their place but just not around here. I've been thinking of a 1652, perfect little solo rig and I've had one. You can actually fish a couple of folks. The one thing I do know is that their are tunnels built for prop and those built for jet drives.

You wanna see a couple of skinny *** rigs...

flatscat.com

https://www.sportsmanboats.com/new-boats/shallowsport-20-flush-deck/

I don't mean to muddy the waters, but look at https://phowlerboatcompany.com/ and all the beavertail lines etc. they are expensive from the manufacturer, but they drop in price considerably after being used. any of the welded duck hunting boats with a big hunt deck or long pods will also allow you to get real skinny, i guess i was partially on the mark when I was thinking "Mud hull" :lol:

phowler makes a 2472 :O That sucker would draft only a few inches LOL

Yeah they are, just an idea though. There are several "Duck" hulls that are overbuilt by even yours and dave's standards, the beavertails, phowler, etc.... These would be tough as snot and draft very little water. look for something used and the price goes down HUGE, because nobody is willing to pay close to what they want for a new one. :roll:

Well, some people are, just us dumb duck hunters though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit: PS check my build, I have a question for you knowledgeable folks.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320803#p320803 said:
Badbagger » Today, 16:57[/url]"]Dave sounds awesome. Did more research locally and a LOT of folks running jets. Basically not so good in areas with a lot of grass and the like as it gets sucked into the engine and the same for running in areas with a lot of mud. They've invariably got their place but just not around here. I've been thinking of a 1652, perfect little solo rig and I've had one. You can actually fish a couple of folks. The one thing I do know is that their are tunnels built for prop and those built for jet drives.

flatscat.com

Pretty cool,
They look like they will get pretty skinny but I really don’t like deck boats. I’m going to fab mine own.

Badbagger said:
Dave sounds awesome. Did more research locally and a LOT of folks running jets. Basically not so good in areas with a lot of grass and the like as it gets sucked into the engine and the same for running in areas with a lot of mud. They've invariably got their place but just not around here. I've been thinking of a 1652, perfect little solo rig and I've had one. You can actually fish a couple of folks. The one thing I do know is that their are tunnels built for prop and those built for jet drives.

flatscat.com

This guy sells and rigs out boats here on the Texas coast and runs a lot of outboard jets and has for over 20 years in areas that have sand, shell, grass, mud etc just like you guys have in Florida. This rig has a 60/40 gour stroke yamaha jet, pods and a tunnel Alweld builds for Sonny to distribute. Watch the part where he runs across about 2" of water and hard sand where the mullet are having a hard time swimming. Not trying to prove you wrong but enlighten you a little...
https://youtu.be/PBjLua3gT0A

Latest posts