Barge/Cabin Build on The Sabine River, East Texas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadn't noticed it in the other pics, but I'd say that entry door is well below a standard height door. :mrgreen: AR supposedly has some old laws still on the books about houseboats and where you can put/have them. From what I'm told, if you can float your houseboat to a location (even during high water events) you can claim and homstead that spot even if it's dry when the river goes back down. :shock:

JMichael said:
Hadn't noticed it in the other pics, but I'd say that entry door is well below a standard height door. :mrgreen: AR supposedly has some old laws still on the books about houseboats and where you can put/have them. From what I'm told, if you can float your houseboat to a location (even during high water events) you can claim and homstead that spot even if it's dry when the river goes back down. :shock:

:LOL2: Yes, the door is a trailer house door. I think it is 76" in lieu of 80". Hey, it was donated! =D>

Do tell! Homestead.....I did not know that. I don't think you can do that in Texas. The state owns 50' past the outer banks. Maybe that's why. :shock: Good idea though! :idea:

Thanks for sharing that!

Storms are a-brewing again tonight. Suppose to be pretty ugly later on. Guess we will see Monday at what damage there is. [-o<

Lookin good! What type of genny you runnin for A/C and lights? I have a 11 year old Honda 2000 inverter that runs a 13.500 BTU Coleman Mach III power saver roof air. Super quiet and sips the gas.

When there is a flood - be aware of your surroundings when you
come back down !! Or you could become a homesteader - but not by choice.

again - AWESOME JOB !!
each and every one of you should be very proud of coming together on
such a project.

LOL - I can only imagine a group of teenagers out there on your houseboat
for the weekend without their umbilical cord to civilization . . . . a w e s o m e

Attachments

• river-house-serbia.jpg
    river-house-serbia.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 675
nowgrn4 said:
Lookin good! What type of genny you runnin for A/C and lights? I have a 11 year old Honda 2000 inverter that runs a 13.500 BTU Coleman Mach III power saver roof air. Super quiet and sips the gas.

I'll have to ask on that one. I know it's a new Honda, quiet one, but that's all I can remember. Yes, they have an inverter, and have a roof solar panel to install. We donated a new battery box and a battery. They did install (110v) a light in the cabin and one on the porch. I know we only used 1/4 of the battery running both lights and a cell phone for tunes, when we were there a month ago. Not bad!

I'll find out abut the genny.

M

Barefoot_Johnny said:
When there is a flood - be aware of your surroundings when you
come back down !! Or you could become a homesteader - but not by choice.

again - AWESOME JOB !!
each and every one of you should be very proud of coming together on
such a project.

LOL - I can only imagine a group of teenagers out there on your houseboat
for the weekend without their umbilical cord to civilization . . . . a w e s o m e

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: Great pic!
I can only imagine teenagers as well. [-X These boys all grew up together. It is only by the grace of God that their mothers let them live through their teenage years...I know....I was around too! [-o< Two of them are 29 years old and our son-in-law is 31 now. Awesome young men they have all turned out to be! =D> I can speak for all us parents when I say; Yes, Sir, we are very proud of all of them! \:D/

bobberboy said:
Any trouble with squatters?

No, Sir. The stretch of river it is on is run regularly from locals. A small community where everybody knows everybody. There was evidence left from someone on the porch (3 empty beer cans and a water bottle) but they were put in the trash and nothing was harmed. Not a problem......leave it like you found it!

Only the three boys have keys, and it needs to stay that way. 8)

The other barges/cabins belong to locals as well. Everybody looks out for everybody. That's the way it should be. :wink:

The other barges/cabins belong to locals as well. Everybody looks out for everybody. That's the way it should be. :wink:[/quote]

AMEN :USA1: :beer:

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Lowe 2070 CC said:
Awesome!

These are in Palmyra Lake, a Mississippi River oxbow.

I have heard of these! Thanks for sharing their locations. I'd like to look a little closer on a google map. I've heard of several different ones throughout the country. Some look like little neighborhoods. :)

You ever run east on I-20 I'll take you in to see them!

Lowe 2070 CC said:
TexasLoneStar56 said:
Lowe 2070 CC said:
Awesome!

These are in Palmyra Lake, a Mississippi River oxbow.

I have heard of these! Thanks for sharing their locations. I'd like to look a little closer on a google map. I've heard of several different ones throughout the country. Some look like little neighborhoods. :)

You ever run east on I-20 I'll take you in to see them!
Thanks for that! Appreciate the thoughtfulness!

Awesome build!! Me and my two buddies have been running this river since we were in middle school! From Hoard Rd in lindale to hwy 14 in hawkins. We are at a point now were we can afford one of these things, of course we have been talking about it forever. What all is required to put a cabin on the river? Could you take an old pontoon frame and pontoons and build off of that? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you guys!!

jlowrimore said:
Awesome build!! Me and my two buddies have been running this river since we were in middle school! From Hoard Rd in lindale to hwy 14 in hawkins. We are at a point now were we can afford one of these things, of course we have been talking about it forever. What all is required to put a cabin on the river? Could you take an old pontoon frame and pontoons and build off of that? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you guys!!

WOW! Never thought I'd hear from a neighbor on here. :D

This barge is located down river from Hwy 14, about 1/2 way to Big Sandy. Some of the other barges up river (Hoard Rd to 14) belong to folks we know.

That's exactly what these boys did; took an old pontoon and went from there. I thought I had a pic of that posted, but I will post another one. I think they paid $600 for it, trailer and all, and then sold the trailer after it was floated. I have an idea of what these guys have in it, around $3k ea. But, you have to consider that they special ordered the car port to exact size, with a heavier gage metal, and that alone was $2700.

They worked on it all one winter, then got back to work on it in August of last year. It's been quite a build!

I am not sure of what all they had to do about getting it cleared. I do know the game wardens told them that as long as it did not have a motor, it did not required registration. However, it must never block the natural flow of the river, or block traffic on the river.

Perhaps we will run into each other some time. 8)

I will send you a PM with some names you can contact locally.

Thanks again for your comments!
M
Tyler, Texas

For some of the folks that don't know;

Lindale, Texas is home to Miranda Lambert.
Hawkins, Texas is home to Stanley Richard (#24 UT; SD Chargers; WA Redskins); and, his grandmother was Lilian Richard, the Aunt Jemima for Quaker Oats.
Tyler, Texas is home to The Tyler Rose, Earle Campbell (UT; Houston Oilers)
Longview, Texas is home to Neal McCoy.
Big Sandy, Texas is home to Lovie Smith (Pro football head coach)
and so many more.....

These ole' Piney Woods have raised some good folks!

A little Sabine River info....
Clay Walker bought our friends' late parents ranch about 4 years ago, between Hawkins & Mineola, bordering the Sabine River.

So, if you are up river from Hwy 14, you just might run in to Clay Walker. :mrgreen: He is known for his adventures and love for the woods and on the river.

Texaslonestar thank you for all the info!! I live by Tyler state park, (grew up in the house, now own it) and my buddy lives on hoard rd about 1 mile from the river. We see the cabins up river from 14 all the time and people going to them as well. One guy we see a lot of the time has a wife and two kids I believe? I actually think this same guy had some boat trouble a couple weeks ago and my buddy happend to be there a the right time and ended up helping him and his father in law out! That is if I have my story straight lol. But anyway I contacted local TPWD and they have yet to get back to me. But any help is appreciated. I'll look for those contacts, and if there is anything else I should be doing or can do to help any of you locals just let me know. Thanks again!!!

You are most welcome!
Tell your buddy thanks for helping out! =D> =D> =D> I love E TX....friendly folks helping each other. The guy with the wife and 2 children is Josh. Great guy and wonderful family man.

BTW:
:WELCOME: Aboard!
I hope you find this site as interesting as helpful as I do. Everyone on here is friendly and eager to share their knowledge.

If I may be of help to you, please let me know! :) I did send you contact info. Perhaps this will help you start building your river barge. I hope so!
M
Tyler, Texas