Best way to mount trolling motor on a MonArk semi-v??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Aug

Reaction score
Just bought a new trolling motor and looking for the best way to mount it. I understand from the literature it should be as close to center line as possible, but any pictures, advice, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Here is how I mounted mine on a semi V

Build a mounting platform off the bow using 3/4 plywood, Alum angle and SS bolts. The TM swing towards the bow and sets just an inch or two off center.

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

Here's how I did mine. I used 3 pieces of angle, SS bolts with locknuts, and a piece of aluminum diamond plate.
016_zps3ed0feca.jpg

015_zps9586118b.jpg

004_zps12d0826d.jpg

001_zps1fa75183.jpg

You can put the mount on which side you want. Just remember you don't want it to block your visibility while driving.
Me and my dad got it as close to the center as possible; the further off center the more it will want to pull in that direction causing you to fight the trolling motor all day long! Plywood is fine to work with but I got the piece of diamond plate for free. :D
I hope this helps you. Looking forward to see how you mount your trolling motor.

P.S. If your mount comes with Rubber Isolator bolts DONT use them. Put the bolts right through and use heavy duty washers and lock nuts. The Rubber Isolator bolts dry rot in a year or two causing you to lose your trolling motor in rough water. Saw this happen at an Anglers Choice tournament my Dad fished in the 1990's. Some guys lost them, others had them hanging halfway on the deck.

Thanks for the swift reply and the photos. Visuals definitely help. This whole boat project has been a learning experience, and being that I am only semi-mechanically inclined, some things that should be easy have been a real challenge! Give me a rifle and I am good to go, but give me a drill and I get worried :D

I am posting some pictures at different angles. One thing is that I know it needs to be as close to center line as possible, but my trailer tongue is right in the way of dropping it to test. Any ideas there? Also, the boat has an outlet up front which runs to the battery console in the stern, but the trolling motor just has connectors for straight to a battery. Do I need to cut an extension cord or something and connect it that way??

Again, thanks in advance for helping me out here.IMAG0873.jpgIMAG0874.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0871.jpg
    IMAG0871.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0875.jpg
    IMAG0875.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0876.jpg
    IMAG0876.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0877.jpg
    IMAG0877.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMAG0871.jpg
    IMAG0871.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 465
If you want to get as close to the center as possible you could always move the light pole an outlet + the handle. But if you don't want to do that I would get it as close to the centerline as possible without having the trolling motor head over the side rail of the boat ( Don't want to knock the head off on the dock, stump, or ect...). With the wiring you can use a plug and receptacle or you could direct wire either by crimp connectors or soldering the wires together and covering with heat shrink tubing. As you can see on mine I designed the mounting area where my cleat and light is out of the way.
remember to use a circuit breaker

Latest posts