bilge pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum

Reaction score
I have been thinking about one, my boat has no plug, and for a 10'36" , do I need a bilge pump or not ? and what size gpm. or manual type.
it is an odd thing with no plug, just a thought do I need a plug if the 1970 sears was made with out one?

I put off getting one untill this year when I did all my electronics. It was an easy install and using some pvc parts, I made it go over the transom instead of drilling through. You can barely see it. Im going to post pics later this week in build, but PM me and Ill see if I can take some earlier and send them to you.

I have a 1969 Sears 12' footer with no plug either. For me, it was easier to instal the drain plug then to bother with a bilge pump. It is kind of unnerving to drill a hole in a perfectly good transom but it seemed a better way to get the little bit of water that gets in, out. On the water, a bailing bucket is on board in case of an issue.

You don't need to drill a hole in the boat. I have a 16' alumacraft and I have a flex hose I run over transom and through the handle on the outside when I use it. When its not being used it stays coiled up by the gas tank. On a 10' jon a 500gph would be plenty. Mine Is a tsunami and it is wired to a toggle switch it works good and takes tge cartidges if motor burns up.