Careful fishing the bridges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what happened is, first off, the ship was to be tug boated to sea and not off on it's own. Then the propeller quit for whatever reason and the ship was sent adrift. Although the chances were pretty good that it may have made it through without striking the bridge, as Murphy would have it, not a fat chance in China. The ship strikes the pillar and down she came.
It took 5 years to build that bridge. Me thinks it will be 2 years to open it again. And probably 5 years to blame someone and drag it through the courts. This will cost a lot of money for someone or somebody.

I don't get out on the bay near as much as I use to but I don't see tugs on these ships near as often as 10 or 20 yrs ago. Even up the elk river on thier way to the Delaware canal.
I think what happened is, first off, the ship was to be tug boated to sea and not off on it's own. Then the propeller quit for whatever reason and the ship was sent adrift. Although the chances were pretty good that it may have made it through without striking the bridge, as Murphy would have it, not a fat chance in China. The ship strikes the pillar and down she came.
It took 5 years to build that bridge. Me thinks it will be 2 years to open it again. And probably 5 years to blame someone and drag it through the courts. This will cost a lot of money for someone or somebody.

Reports are that they were able to put out a distress call and they stopped traffic. It doesn't make sense that they could stop traffic and not clear the construction workers. I'm sure there's a lot of this story missing. The developments will be a good follow.
The distress call was placed as the ship was heading for the bridge only minutes away from impact. The traffic was stopped at the gate, at 1:30 Am not much traffic. The fact that two workers were found in their pickup shows they were warned but did not have the time to clear the bridge.

The ship was under it's own power under command of the Bay Pilot, the ships engines failed along with it's generators. No propulsion, no lights, no steering, no emergency actions possible. Faulty fuel has been mentioned as the cause due to the engines all shutting down at the same time. The big problem is now the blame game and politician's grandstanding. The two things that made sense are now being kept quiet by the media. The contaminated fuel and the bridge design. Currently Maryland legislation is fighting over an inflated budget, they are already using this to claim "old" infrastructure is to blame. More taxes are necessary. The liberals will as always use every catastrophic incident to their advantage regardless of truth.

They reported last night that the ships engine had been serviced while in this port...might be interesting as what was done there. 90 seconds from radio warning to inpact...not much time to do anything!! Can't really blame the beidge construction, if you look at how any suspension type bridge is built...take out and major support and it will fail.. should have been protectors built around those supports and mabey......that is one big mother of a ship !!

The distress call was placed as the ship was heading for the bridge only minutes away from impact. The traffic was stopped at the gate, at 1:30 Am not much traffic. The fact that two workers were found in their pickup shows they were warned but did not have the time to clear the bridge.
Could have been on lunch break, it was pretty cold that night. If they had gotten into the vehicles in an attempt to escape the bridge why can those vehicles (3 of them) be seen on the bridge with their lights flashing and not moving as the ship is approaching right up to impact?
The reason the traffic was stopped so quick is because there was an MDTA Officer on each side of the bridge due to the construction.

Or they were sleeping on the job.

The ship was under it's own power under command of the Bay Pilot, the ships engines failed along with it's generators. No propulsion, no lights, no steering, no emergency actions possible. Faulty fuel has been mentioned as the cause due to the engines all shutting down at the same time. The big problem is now the blame game and politician's grandstanding. The two things that made sense are now being kept quiet by the media. The contaminated fuel and the bridge design. Currently Maryland legislation is fighting over an inflated budget, they are already using this to claim "old" infrastructure is to blame. More taxes are necessary. The liberals will as always use every catastrophic incident to their advantage regardless of truth.
They have back up power. Supposedly that too failed as the system was overloaded. They managed to restart the backup system once they managed to diminish the load. This is what I'm hearing and if course we don't yet know everything. Word is they did drop one anchor and that combined with getting one prop to spin in reverse is what swung the bow around and into the support.

I was up really early that morning and saw it as breaking news. Couldn't believe my eyes. I fish that area, have caught many beautiful striper there.

Isn't that a truss or trestle-type bridge? That's why it all came down, just the type.