carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcass

Reaction score
I recently put a deck on my 14' jon boat, and plan on carpeting it. Only question I have is what have you guys done to carpet your boats? Screw the plywood down and the glue the carpet down? If that is the case how do you get it to neatly wrap around the edges? I just dont want to carpet the deck and then screw it down and have the screw heads showing all over the place. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tcass said:
I recently put a deck on my 14' jon boat, and plan on carpeting it. Only question I have is what have you guys done to carpet your boats? Screw the plywood down and the glue the carpet down? If that is the case how do you get it to neatly wrap around the edges? I just dont want to carpet the deck and then screw it down and have the screw heads showing all over the place. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome Tcass,
Thanks for joining! I know most of the members who have installed carpet have used adhesive and staples around the deck and the backside. Now that you asked, Im not sure how they do it myself....

The guys will hopefully chime in soon. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to any advise.

well for my boat i took every piece off that had to be carpeted and carpeted it seperate from the whole boat. Then i went back after the glue dried and put staples on it and trimmed the excess off. Then to hold the pieces down a ised Stainless Steel screws with finishing washers to attach my pieces

I did not screw down the deck or my middle floor. This way I can remove when needed.

Carpet was sprayed with 3M adhesive(faster) and wrapped around the edges and stapled-then trimmed,,,,, trimming should be last.

Got any picks of your work?

I glued my carpet to the plywood and used S.S. screws and finish washers to attach it to my framing also. I used some large screws and washers when I build my front control deck, when I did the rest of the boat I switched to a smaller screw and washer and they almost disappear.

finished+boat+4+front.JPG

thanks for the info. I do not want any screws showing, hoping for a cleaner look. Im thinking that if I screw the plywood down first, and then glue the carpet to that, I can use a putty knife to tuck in all the edges. Maybe i am being alittle to opomistic on this one. All suggestions welcome.

Great topic. I recently started a conversion/rebuild, and am wondering the same thing. We are not carpeters. I figured that if you want to wrap the storage lids with carpet, you will have to cut the carpet lager than the storage hole so you can wrap it around the deck, and then use seperate pieces to wrap the lids...? So you are talking about more carpet and more cutting/shapping...

Here's what we are thinking, but I'm not sure how it will look. We are thinking we build the frame; put down the deck; cut the lids; put down the carpet, and then cut the carpet around the lids. Now, you'll have rough edge on the carpet, which looks bad and will tear up, unless we trim it. We are thinking of using trim like you would use on stairs (which is angle iron made of anything from aluminum to rubber). It will be simple to install, and it will cover the rough edge of the carpet. PLEASE...feedback would be great.

Anyone else have any suggestions for carpeting? I have seen alot of really good projects, but am hoping for some more imput. Thanks.

tcass said:
Anyone else have any suggestions for carpeting? I have seen alot of really good projects, but am hoping for some more imput. Thanks.

tcass,

Take a look at this link, He is a member here also. https://www.jackspirko.com/theboatproject.php#stage3

Latest posts