Center console mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherfire89

Reaction score
Do you think a center console this size would look too wide/fat? I kind of think it does but I thought I'd get a few other opinions before I changed it up. I made it out of foam just to see how it might look when I make it out of plywood. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF4784.JPG
    DSCF4784.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • DSCF4783.JPG
    DSCF4783.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 1,371
  • DSCF4782.JPG
    DSCF4782.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 1,371
Great idea to make it out of foam. I will have to remember that one!

On the CC's that I have had...the only issue for me is how easily I can get my fat butt around it to get to the bow or the stern. If there is enough room to do so without having to hang over the side too much...I'd be happy.

Do you have a BassPro/Gander/Cabela's around that has a number of CC boats on the lot? A walk on their boat-decks with a yard stick might be called for. regards, rich

Yeah maybe a touch narrower and a bit shorter. The foam was a great idea. I've got tons of it...I think I'll start mocking up some ideas. Thanks for the idea!

Now if it was me, I wouldnt have a seat at the console, id only have a leaning post. And i would want it high to be able to stand upright, It does look a bit big for the boat, how bout a pic front to back of the boat.

My boat is a 1548, and I got a small center console for my boat that is 20" wide X 32" tall and is just the right size for my boat. The console was too short so I built a base for it with a compartment in front of the console for my troll motor battery and it doubles as a seat. That is where I usually put my cooler on when I am by myself. Leaves me lots of room to move around with the cooler on the seat. The size of the base is 20" wide X 25" long. I also added two shelves in the console for some of my goodies. Used an aluminum frame from an old folding chair for the grab rail and also some place to mount the plexiglass windshield I had made for it. I don't use it as a grab rail, I mounted a handle for ease of getting out of the seat. I'm old and decrepit. LOL
The aluminum chair frame is great for making the windshield frame/grab rail. I have use about 3 of them for grab rails now, I don't use it to get in and out, but use it as an aid for walking around to the front and back, great help.
One thing you need to remember, set the console, but don't bolt it down, then you can see how long the the cables need to be. Also, put the steering wheel on the console and stand behind it before you bolt it down to be sure you can stand up and be comfortable. Have enough room on top of the console for GPS and dept finder.
I changed the hinges on the seat in front of the console to open in the opposite direction. Any questions just ask. See pics below.

Attachments

• bare console1.jpg
    bare console1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,279
  • bare console2.jpg
    bare console2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • bare console3.jpg
    bare console3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,279
  • bare console4.jpg
    bare console4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,279
  • console6.jpg
    console6.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,279
  • console7.jpg
    console7.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,279
  • console8.jpg
    console8.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,279
  • new con3.jpg
    new con3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • new con5.jpg
    new con5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,279
  • new con6.jpg
    new con6.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,279
Go to page 5 to see my complete mod from bare bones to wood console to conversion over to my center console.
It's titled My wooden side console tiller style to a center console.

Consider whether or not you will mount rod holders on the sides of it. I have a 17ft fiberglass CC that the console is too wide on when you put rod holders on. Just not as easy to walk by.

Latest posts