conceal carry pistol

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little late to the party too, but for the summer months I carry a M&P Shield 9mm with Hiviz sights and Apex trigger kit. Small enough to carry with shorts and tee shirt but big enough to be accurate at 10 yards. In cooler months I have the Shield's bigger sister the M&P 9c. It shoots no better than the Shield but I like the feel of the thicker grip.

Cali Duck said:
I like the Ruger LC9S Pro - but the Glock 43 is really tempting...if you can find one

They're getting more plentiful. Cope's Distributing has them for $459.. https://www.copesdistributing.com/glock-compact-slimline-pistol-p-8819.html
I've had my 43 for a month now and absolutely LOVE IT.. Accurate, thin, light, and it's a Glock.. I've put about 400 rounds through it with not so much as a hickup..

I have a nice Kydex IWB holster for carrying, and I just put grip tape on it (got it from eBay) and it made it even better!! The gun didn't move around in my hands much without the tape, but now it's rock solid.. I had a LCP and I had to regrip the little bugger after every shot.

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll end up buying it.. :lol:

Before grip tape..

wide.jpg

paper said:
Cali Duck said:
I like the Ruger LC9S Pro - but the Glock 43 is really tempting...if you can find one

They're getting more plentiful. Cope's Distributing has them for $459.. https://www.copesdistributing.com/glock-compact-slimline-pistol-p-8819.html
I've had my 43 for a month now and absolutely LOVE IT.. Accurate, thin, light, and it's a Glock.. I've put about 400 rounds through it with not so much as a hickup..

I have a nice Kydex IWB holster for carrying, and I just put grip tape on it (got it from eBay) and it made it even better!! The gun didn't move around in my hands much without the tape, but now it's rock solid.. I had a LCP and I had to regrip the little bugger after every shot.

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll end up buying it.. :lol:

Before grip tape..

wide.jpg

I love my G43. It's my EDC for these warm months. Carry with either my Desantis Cozy Partner or sticky holster when I don't feel like wearing a belt. This was my first Glock and with talon grips it's perfect...my only complaint is the mag sticks sometimes if the angle isn't just right. (Yeah yeah I know, that's what she said).

My EDC pistol is a NAA mini revolver in 22 magnum. True, it's not going to stop a bad guy like my Glock 20 10mm, but the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun, and the NAA revolver is small enough, it's something I am more likely to carry than leave at home.

onthewater102 said:
I've yet to meet someone who would volunteer to be shot with one

:mrgreen: :LOL2:

I guarantee if they did, they would sit their butt on the curb and wait for the ambulance to arrive. Any hole in their body other than the ones they were born with, is going to slow them down, for sure.

Sorry, but if I have to pull my handgun in self defense I want there to be only one report to the police. I will fire until the threat is most assuradly and completely stopped. I consider 9mm HP's the absolute minimum I will use for this duty.

I know it's not fun or funny, but it's a fact.

I sold my S&W 5906 9mm a few years ago with the intent to get a
Walther PPK-9mm. Anyone carry one of these ?
or know the pros/cons of the Walther .380 vs the 9mm?
I have small hands so the big Glocks are a bit clumsy for me.
I qualified "Expert Marksman" at my local F.O.P. range a few years back with my 5906
but haven't done any serious shooting in several years.
I have had the CC permit for GA and FL since 1990.

PSG-1 said:
My EDC pistol is a NAA mini revolver in 22 magnum. True, it's not going to stop a bad guy like my Glock 20 10mm, but the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun, and the NAA revolver is small enough, it's something I am more likely to carry than leave at home.

Also, A hit with a .22 counts much more than a miss with a .45 in a gunfight.

KMixson said:
PSG-1 said:

Also, A hit with a .22 counts much more than a miss with a .45 in a gunfight.

Absolutely! As we used to say in PPC and IPSC competition..."you can't miss fast enough"

That being said, in addition to being an NRA certified handgun instructor, a few years back, I used to do a lot of shooting in the expert division of many pistol matches, with several wins, using all kinds of handguns ranging from a Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380, to a 50AE Desert Eagle.

My favorite caliber, though, has to be the 10mm Auto. Great round for bowling pin matches. Those pins don't stand a chance against a round that has more energy at 100 yards than a 45 ACP has at the muzzle. :mrgreen:

Friends,

I was "pinned to" a state/federal badge for nearly 3 decades & my advice & MY CHOICE for concealed carry is a "D-Frame" Colt or "J" or "K" frame S&W revolver in .38SPL. = My reasoning is that a civilian or retired peace officer (like me, for example) needs NO more than 5-6 shots for SELF-DEFENSE, IF you can shoot a handgun competently.
(Fwiw, when I was actively pursuing armed criminals OCONUS, I frequently carried a PAIR of Browning 14 shot High-Power 9mm SA pistols. - Now that I'm retired, I do NOT have "to stay and fight", so my treasured Browning HPs are "in the safe".)

My PERSONAL carry weapon (which I have available 24/365) is a K-frame S&W Model 12 "snub-nose" revolver that weighs about ONE POUND, loaded with 6 Hornady Critical Defense .38SPL rounds.

Another piece of advice: Go read & heed the advice of a former female USSS agent on: https://www.corneredcat.com = She has armed self-defense "just about right", imVho.
(I'm a "cornered cat" & my response to a deadly situation is to BITE, SCRATCH & LEAVE the area.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

satx78247 said:
Friends,

I was "pinned to" a state/federal badge for nearly 3 decades & my advice & MY CHOICE for concealed carry is a "D-Frame" Colt or "J" or "K" frame S&W revolver in .38SPL. = My reasoning is that a civilian or retired peace officer (like me, for example) needs NO more than 5-6 shots for SELF-DEFENSE, IF you can shoot a handgun competently.
(Fwiw, when I was actively pursuing armed criminals OCONUS, I frequently carried a PAIR of Browning 14 shot High-Power 9mm SA pistols. - Now that I'm retired, I do NOT have "to stay and fight", so my treasured Browning HPs are "in the safe".)

My PERSONAL carry weapon (which I have available 24/365) is a K-frame S&W Model 12 "snub-nose" revolver that weighs about ONE POUND, loaded with 6 Hornady Critical Defense .38SPL rounds.

Another piece of advice: Go read & heed the advice of a former female USSS agent on: https://www.corneredcat.com = She has armed self-defense "just about right", imVho.
(I'm a "cornered cat" & my response to a deadly situation is to BITE, SCRATCH & LEAVE the area.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Any carry is better than no carry...but I prefer a semi-auto. It's all preference, but you can reload faster and I'm more accurate with them with quicker follow ups.

Cali Duck,

The VAST majority of people (including most LEO!) don't shoot a semi-auto well (They rely on 'the spray & pray" technique, rather than well-aimed fire.) & MOST halfway competent shooters do much better with a revolver. = That's why the NYPD, for over 100 years, issued nothing but Colt's & S&W revolvers in .38SPL.
(Your mileage may vary.)

Also, consider that MOST gun-fights (about 75% of gunfights, where shots are actually fired,) end with 1 or 2 shots fired. Thus "quick reloading" is unnecessary.

just my OPINION, satx

Gotta agree with Satx on this, boys. If you can't hit your target in the first 2-3 rounds fired, maybe you shouldn't be carrying.

His statements about revolver carry are just as good. A revolver has so many fewer moving parts compared to an auto-loader, and will most likely fire, even if you have to pull it out of a mudhole.
Just my 1/2 pence.

Roger

I agree to a point. If you can't hit your target with consistency you should go get more practice. You may think you are good shot but in a stressful situation you may lose your accuracy. A revolver may be more accurate to you than a semi or vise versa but you still need to practice. Just because you saw a TV show on how to shoot does not make you an expert marksman. You have to practice with your weapon of choice. For example, If I want to carry a Glock 19 I need to practice with my Glock 19 and not my friends Glock 19. Every gun has its own little quirks that you have to account for. Your gun may fire a quarter of an inch to left while your friends gun may fire a quarter of an inch to the right. You also have to practice with the ammo you plan to use. One ammo may kick a little harder than another surprising you when you fire that first round in self defense. I do think revolvers are a very reliable option. I am not saying they are bulletproof but they do not malfunction near as much as a semi will.

To each their own! I take self defense pistol courses annually and train with friends who shoot a lot. We go through 200-300 rounds of handgun ammo each outing.

I wouldn't trade my Glock for a revolver. I know my glock, I trust my glock, I'm accurate with my glock. Under pressure remains to be seen, but I consider myself more prepared than the average Joe.

Cali Duck,

Fwiw, I was an Army Range Safety Officer & Master Handgun Instructor for nearly 20 years. I wouldn't own a Glock if they were paying me (as the factory DID to get plastic Glocks into German police holsters years ago) to bet my life on one & regard that handgun as flawed/unsafe.
(In case you don't know, Glock GAVE a pair of their 9mm SA handguns to each Texas Ranger, including our living retirees. = You haven't heard about that as 100% of those handguns were returned to the US distributer, as our Rangers wouldn't keep them for FREE.)

You might also consider that when DC Metro PD started issuing Glocks to their patrol officers, they had more than TEN accidental discharges reported in the first 2 weeks. One wonders how many AD occurred but were NOT officially reported??
(Glock blamed those incidents on the HOLSTERS.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

The "problem" with Glocks is the users not having safe handling/cleaning habits which are exacerbated by the gun's reliance on spring engaged mechanical safeties.

I'm not a fan, I sold my G27 as it was too wide for concealment in business attire, but the plastic trigger "safety" is a joke, it might as well not be there because if you're dumb enough to put a finger on the trigger you've already defeated the only safety on it. I would bet money that those accidental discharges were all from people setting off their own guns and too ashamed to man up and admit their mistake.

As far as the firing pin safety, this too doesn't serve the most dangerous of gun owners, people who are too ignorant to keep their finger off the trigger are probably too lazy to clean their guns. It doesn't take much grime to block up that little safety piston so that it doesn't return to its pin-blocking position after firing.

In the hands of someone responsible they're excellent - but they're completely inferior to the new SIG P320 line.

onthewater102,

UNFORTUNATELY, at least 5 of the UN-intentional discharges suffered by the DC Metro Police occurred while the Glocks were NEWLY-issued & within the holsters.

In 2 of those 5 cases, the officer was shot in the leg while getting into or out of the patrol car & without their hand being near to the handgun. = ImVho, it's a dangerously flawed design & patently UNSAFE except under the best conditions & in the hands of a VERY capable & well-trained person.

yours, satx

Latest posts