Cutting down a tall transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfreeman451

Reaction score
I have a Alumacraft MV 1648 NCS w/ 20" transom and am about to take delivery of a 27HP beavertail longtail. There are no options for shaft length to accommodate a taller transom from BT so I'm wondering if anyone out here has any advice to me.

I think I have a couple of options maybe:

1) Drop plate?
2) Cut the transom down - would I still be able to swing the motor into the boat if I cut it down to 16"?
3) Find a different motor/boat combo

How much would I expect to be charged at a shop for the transom work? I'd do it myself but I don't have the skills to make a new cap for it since the old one wouldn't fit anymore.

What is the best type of shop to get this work done at? Custom fab place or a boat place?

I also live in MN so any local advice on a shop would be appreciated.

Take some pics. Best way would be to fit the hull to the engine (trim the transom), then take it to a metal fab shop so they can wrap a new top cap and weld it to the transom for you. Depending on the engine it might work as is (is it belt or shaft drive?). A five foot shaft will have a bit more angle with the 20" transom vs. the 15" transom.

Jamie

I was in the same position with my 1448 G3 with a 20" transom. I had a buddy that does this stuff for a living cut it down for a $100. Turned out great. I hate looking for longshaft motors, and Im always trading around. This solved the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,588
Yeah that is awesome work. I wish I had a friend like that or was even in TN to pay your guy.

Latest posts