Dad's 12' Springbok reborn - "Dad's Buoy"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great white said:
bcbouy said:
my boat has similar seating,so i thought you may get some ideas from these

That forward folding rear hatch is a good idea. Whats that under it? It looks like a bilge pump and a battery maybe?

Ah, nevermind. I was seeing the wiring in the small pic...

Had a fairly full day today. Got the springs, axle and fenders slung under the trailer frame. Took some measurements and it all is within spec for straight trouble free towing.

Then, wired up the new trailer lights.

Finished off with mounting the spare tire carrier and spare tire.

Now it's ready for the tow from the cottage to my garage where the transformation will begin from utility boat to fishing (well, in all honesty, fishing really means "napping" for me ;)) boat....

Well, haven't done much to the boat since last post.

Been busy tried to get unpacked and organized in the new house.

Work has been demanding also.

I was cleaning and organizing in the garage today and the boat was looking forlorn.

So I at least mounted the lights today.

Bow:

9b1d0cca.jpg

Stern:

e7509ac7.jpg

Both removable and LED for power savings.

It's a little something, but it's something.....;)

well, sitting around, reading build threads and I've decided to name the boat. I've always though naming "punts" was silly, but this one is a bit different.

My Dad is slipping deeper into Alzheimers. Last time I was home to visit (2 weeks ago, I'm military and am posted away) he was barely talking. He stopped knowing us months ago. I can still make him laugh and smile from time to time, I'm at least grateful for that small mercy for him.

So since it's Dad's old boat, I'm going to name it for the sake of remembrance:

Dad's Bouy

Dad's boat, I'm his boy.

Feels right.

Nothing big, maybe on the transom in reasonably small letters or on the freeboard at the back.

I'm also probably going to print a picture of him and seal it on the boat somewhere. Probably one of these:

onshore-1.jpg

dadboat-1.jpg

table-1.jpg

I'm planning a little dry storage up under the bow plate, probably just laminate one on the door so it faces back to me when piloting but it will be out of the weather.

It's a close choice between #2 and #3 I think....

I'm thinking I like #2 the best. Has the spirit of Dad and the boat at a happy time. But there's nothing saying you can't do both. It's totally up to you.

Prayers are with you, your dad, and your family.

Your dad would be so proud of you. Way to use his memories and spirit to motivate you in you build. Very nice.
I am guessing you are Canadian Military? I am in the US Army. I have served with some really Great Canadians in Iraq. Thank you for what you do! Oh Canada!

Man what a nice tribute to your dad. I like pic #2 as well but do what ones mean the most to you. My Grandmother had that too...man I hate the thought of it for anyone. It took its toll on my grandfather who is now in a nursing home. My dad and I have got his boat. its an old Star Craft I think. I love the boat its not pretty by most standards but its wonderfull to me. I have started slowly cleaning it up. I hope to get him out on it a few times this year.

Praying for you and your family...

Wayfaraway said:
great white said:
Royal Canadian Air Force.

Search and Rescue.

BJ.jpg

8)

Very nice! I am a helicopter crewchief myself.

I'm a Flight Engineer.

Don't fly much anymore though, once a week or so. I'm saddled with the Squadron Warrant Officer (SWO) job.

Right hand man to the CO.

More administrative BS than I ever wanted to do.....

Well, I've got a lot of projects on the burner and life just threw me a curve this morning. My snowblower threw the rod though the block.

Not having a snowblower around these parts is not an option, Unless you want to work yourself into a heat attack.

$2000 later, I've got a new Toro sitting in the garage.

But that's made some changes to the boat project.

I had planned to make the decking supports from aluminum channel, but now that's too expensive (no scrap dealers handy).

So, I'm going to have to use wood for the sub structure. Not ideal, but certainly workable.

I'll have to get a bit creative with the wood work to keep it light and strong. I'll start with spruce 2x4's and mill the supports and shapes I need from those.

The supports will be milled to "friction fit" in the vessel so I don't have dissimilar metals touching.

If I get a little "fancy" I'll add a few small Aluminum brackets to the boat and use them to tie the support/decking down.

Think: Nylon strapping and buckles.

A plus is that it will all be easily removable.

Since the plan is to rip the 2x4's into 1x1's or less, there has to be some serious rationalization on how they are laid out.

My plan is to use 3/8 or less marine ply for the deck to save weight. I'd prefer 1/4", but that's probably just going to be too fragile.

The plan will probably be to have no more of a 12" span without substructure supporting it.

If I'm good enough with layout of the supports, 3/8 plywood should be plenty strong for walking, standing or....ahem...."sleeping"......which is an important part of my fishing day!

;)

A good coat of fiberglass resin will seal and help stiffen the structure, hopefully without adding too much weight.

Probably going to start working out the layout and cutting support members tomorrow....

Tripped on down to the building store today.

I'm kinda halfway aluminum, halfway wood.

I picked up some 1/2 al angle and 1/2 al flat. The angle will provide a "ledge" where some of the floor/supports will attach/sit. The flat will form supports for some storage areas I have in mind.

The rest will be ripped/planed to dimension spruce and 3/8 plywood.

All held together with construction adhesive and galvinized screws (no screws into al, only al rivets).

The flooring will have a substructure to give it strength in any long or unsupported runs.

On vacation the rest of this week and the next. Hoping to make a little progress on the little punt and relax a bit while building it.

Kind of like relaxation therapy for men.

Pics to follow.....

Little bit of work today, mostly just adding braces for the floor to rest on and for a compartment on the side.

Please excuse the poor iphone pics:

9cb8caf8-1.jpg

b785b57e-1.jpg

framing for the compartment:

0f3b9187-1.jpg

There will be an open area at the front as my depth/fish finder is an older humminbird portable unit. The rest will just be storage and there'll be a small solar charger mounted on the top.

Planning to get a bit more done tomorrow.

Got the floor cut for the rear:

5c5e70cd-1.jpg

No templates, just good ol' measuring.

3/8 plywood.

Tomorrow I'll work on the under-structure bracing for it.

When I'm done, there won't be much more than 4-6 inches that isn't braced.

It's strong enough that I can stand close to the side bracing as it is. Adding structure to the underside will just firm it all up and still be nice and light.

I'll still undecided on a hatch in it. There's a fair bit of space underneath it.

I'm not so much thinking about storage as I am being able to use a manual bailer.

Made decent progress today.

Reinforced flooring (all screwed and glued) and cut a hatch for access to "the bilge":

1f8c14bd-1.jpg

2d70f05e-1.jpg

4a47d141-1.jpg

Then started working on the upper rear deck:

986217d7-1.jpg

Cut a rear hatch for removing fuel tank and access to drain plug/bilge pump:

c13b7686-1.jpg

Just dropped the seat on to get and idea of size. It'll be going on a slider for fishing and running the tiller:

1092ebb1-1.jpg

That's about all I got done today.

The floor is a little weak up by the front hatch. I may have to give in and run one or two braces down to the hull ribs.

There's only about a few more inches than 1 sheet of 3/8 plywood and 1.5 2x4's in there so far. Nice and light so I can afford a little bit more weight.

I also installed my bilge fitting in the hull today. You can see it sticking out in the last crappy pic.

Apologies for the iphone pics, snow storm out today and I didn't feel like making an extra trip across the yard to get a proper camera...