Dad's 12' Springbok reborn - "Dad's Buoy"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only half a days work today. Built the "rear wing box".

I ditched the aluminum framework idea. Just wasn't going to work out properly.

Took a while to figure out how to make it on top of the seat deck and fit it under the rail so the set deck was still removable.

but now I just pull out 3 screws and the box lifts off, then the whole seat deck comes out.

So far, none of the wood is actually attached to the boat.

It's all friction fit and laid out to rest under existing structure at it's edges. I didn't want to compromise the hull/ribs in any way.

The only thing actually attached to the vessel are some aluminum angles attached to the seat boxes to rest the floor on.

52f2b7ed-1.jpg

72da3665-1.jpg

The fish finder is a portable, so I just wanted a place to hold it. Hey, it was free and it works...it's also self reliant on it's own batteries and easily removed so it won't get stolen.

The opening in the rear is just a stuff area. It will have a stretchy net over it to hold things in.

ab9dc776-1.jpg

Throw in a cup holder and call it done.

2533b40e-1.jpg

The small solar charger will sit where you see it in the pic.

5427f4bb-1.jpg

I'm up to about 1.5 sheets of 3/8 plywood and 2 2X4's in the whole thing so far. I'm very sparing with the plywood and I rip the 2x$'s into 1x1.5" stringers. All clamped, waterproof wood glued and screwed.

I should only have about 2.5 sheets of plywood and 3 or 4 2X4's in the whole thing when done. I'm going for "light" construction but still done to my preferences in a small fishing runabout.

The boat used to plane really well and I'd like to keep it that way.

More work tomorrow....the other "wing box" should go much quicker as I now have the pattern and the angles all worked out (everything is written down).

Hopefully finish off the rear decking area completely.

I love love love the rear wing idea. I would say I am stealing it, but there is nothing new under the sun so...It is only kind of stealing. ;)

Great idea though. I have the same kind of fish finder setup and have been wondering where to set it safely.

If you have any more pics of the way you framed it to the seat and side of the boat, I'd like to see them.

Are you permanently mounting the transducer for it or rigging something for that too?

It's like a semi monocoque layout used in aircraft. There's minimal stringers and the panels themselves are loaded structure.

Kind of ran back to my aircraft training in some ways with a bit of cabinet making thrown in.

It's not attached to the gunwales or original seat at all. Friction fit and held under existing structure of the gunwales.

Thankfully, it will all be covered with lightweight carpeting so my "less than perfect" woodworking will be covered up and it will look seamless.

It probably has to come back out tomorrow to do the storage area under the rear seat deck. I'll try to get some pics of the back side.

I'm back and forth on the fish finder. I'd like to keep it portable, but I've only got the one boat so.....

Very nice, I love that design on the back deck......simple but effective. I like the whole space on space idea.....great spot for some raingear or small tackle station....I have to steal this idea. Awesome job so far Great White.

As requested:

74c4434f-1.jpg

Little bit fuzzy, iphone again.

As I mentioned before, it's all "modular" and each panel comes out with just a couple screws but they're all strong enough to support a lot of weight. Just this morning I slipped and brought my weight down on my arm on the wing box.

Not even a twitch...

bigwave said:
Very nice, I love that design on the back deck......simple but effective. I like the whole space on space idea.....great spot for some raingear or small tackle station....I have to steal this idea. Awesome job so far Great White.

Oh, I'm not done yet.

I've got a few plans for some bonus storage that will show up in a future posting....... :-$

Right hand wing box:

36e07ed8-1.jpg

Circuit Breaker/Switch panel is installed but not wired.

View from up by the bow:

7341e414-1.jpg

Still left to do is hinge and brace the rear hatch, as well as add a slot for the fuel line and maybe a bit more venting as it's the fuel tank compartment. Trapped fuel vapors in a closed area is mucho bad! I want gas vapors to escape toute suite) so more venting is always welcome.

That's probably it for today. Tomorrow I'll work on the panels for the lower deck.

I'm still only up to a about 1 1/4 sheets of 3/8 plywood in the build. I've still got a 4x4 piece, a 2x4 piece and a bunch of pieces that were cut out of the holes and scraps on the rack. I've almost got two full 8 foot 2x4's in there now.

Unfortunately, I'm up to 8 screws needed to be removed to be able to lift everything out of the hull........ :LOL2:

Hopefully, it's keeping nice and light for the comfort gained.

In keeping with the "light" theme, there's going to be minimal hatches and doors on this build.

Mostly "pass through bulkheads" (bigger version of the holes you see in the wing boxes) to store things like life jackets, coats, etc.

I sure hope she still planes as nice as before all this was installed.....

Another day gone. Only a half days work again. Spent the morning on my french course.

Worked on the storage area under the rear upper deck today.

I was originally thinking it would just be an "open" storage area for life jackets and the like, But once the partition from the fuel tank/bilge area was done there just wasn't a lot of space available.

So, a change of plans:

f684ec76-1.jpg

I was struggling for ideas on how to incorporate a stereo and tackle boxes until the smaller than expected under seat space issue came up.

The space lends itself very nicely to all those things and a bit more.

The black looking rectangle is actually a older sony xplod flip face stereo I've had lying around. It has a couple "aux in" so I'll be able to hook up the ipod/iphone also.

The slot below it will be a drawer for a bit of closeable storage.

The two slots next to the stereo are for tackle boxes. There's a plano 4700 tackle box in the upper slot in the picture and both are sized for that box.

Another shot from the bow:

70beda26-1.jpg

Functional, but the woodworking is not exactly perfect.

Carpet covers all our sins....... :D

You (Great White) said "Functional, but the woodworking is not exactly perfect"

Sorry but I will have to disagree, Your woodworking skills are great, you have done an amazing job =D>

fool4fish1226 said:
You (Great White) said "Functional, but the woodworking is not exactly perfect"

Sorry but I will have to disagree, Your woodworking skills are great, you have done an amazing job =D>

Thank you for the kind words.

I guess it falls under "you are your own worst critic" because all I see are wavy cuts and corners that don't exactly match. Although it is reaching the point of what I have seen in my mind.

Might have some bow shots later this evening. Things are changing as I lay the cooler, lifejacket storage, battery and anchor out in the space I have left.

On the plus side; the battery and anchor are being pushed even further forward than planned. That should help to balance the boat out front to rear a bit better. Might even get to plane faster. Time will tell...

I'm going to end up with more "hatches" than I had wanted so I'm also rethinking the supports. The supports are probably going to have to be heavier than originally planned as they deck won't tie them together as much as I had wanted.

Instead of 1.5 deep x1 wide, they'll prob have to be at least 2 deep x 1.5 wide (I'm ripping 2x4's for stingers and we all know they're actually 1.5 after kiln drying).

Very nice Greatwhite =D> When you get to cutting out the hatches please take lots of pictures, I am struggling with my project on exactly how to frame and cut them out. I am not sure how to do the radius cut like you have done, but I have general idea. I need to get that part figured out since I am not planning on putting carpet in my boat. Everything topside will be glassed and gel-coated so the cuts need to be precise. the look of your project is what I am striving to accomplish....along with a few bells and whistles. I think my mod will be a hybrid of yours and Fish4fools....both of you guys have awesome looking mods. Keep up the good work.

See ya
Kevin

bigwave said:
Very nice Greatwhite =D> When you get to cutting out the hatches please take lots of pictures, I am struggling with my project on exactly how to frame and cut them out. I am not sure how to do the radius cut like you have done, but I have general idea. I need to get that part figured out since I am not planning on putting carpet in my boat. Everything topside will be glassed and gel-coated so the cuts need to be precise. the look of your project is what I am striving to accomplish....along with a few bells and whistles. I think my mod will be a hybrid of yours and Fish4fools....both of you guys have awesome looking mods. Keep up the good work.

See ya
Kevin

My openings are laid out with a ruler and with whatever I have lying around the shop that's round for the corners IE: cupholders, bottle tops, etc.

Then, it's just punch a hole with the drill and simply following lines with the jigsaw...

bigwave said:
Just curious, what is the blade your using on your Jigsaw? I need to buy some new ones.

You know, I really don't remember.

Same one that has been ion there for a long time.

Never seems to go dull so I haven't bothered with it in years....

Bosch makes a good blade but mostly just stay away from the cheapest, like Ryobi...I find they typically don't make good blades...or good anything...;)