Drain plug problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catchin1

Reaction score
My older 15' Duracraft leaks around the plug. Now this ain't my first rodeo but I'm stumped. Hole is in good shape not beat up or out of round.The plug that came in it got stepped on and destroyed. I put the plug out of my 14' alumacraft in and it doesn't fit tight, apparently the duracraft has a larger hole. tried a couple of other plugs I had laying around...same results. Is there a certain size plug I should be looking for? Boat did not leak until this happened.Any help would be appreciated .

I was having plug problems and what I did was buy a solid rubber plug of the correct size from Ace Hardware. Drilled a hole through the center large enough for a #10x32 stainless screw. Put stainless washer on the screw and insert into hole and on the other end another washer with a wing nut to tighten it down with. When you tighten the nut the plug expands to form fit the hole and never leaked a drop. Works slick.

Regards, Keith

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335106#p335106 said:
Keith1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:17 am[/url]"]I was having plug problems and what I did was buy a solid rubber plug of the correct size from Ace Hardware. Drilled a hole through the center large enough for a #10x32 stainless screw. Put stainless washer on the screw and insert into hole and on the other end another washer with a wing nut to tighten it down with. When you tighten the nut the plug expands to form fit the hole and never leaked a drop. Works slick.

Regards, Keith

Most commercially available drain plugs are made similar to this, just turn the handle enough to make it snug and flip the lever to "lock" it in. WM has 'em for a few bucks.

Troller,
I have a Gregor and the plug size is 5/8 inch for some reason. The only plug of that size that I could find was a plug for a bait tank and the hardware is not stainless. I tried one of these low quality plugs and it lasted a very short time.

I was fishing at Bahia San Luis Gongaza and thankfully was only about a mile or so from the beach when the plug came out the pin having been ate through from saltwater. While underway there wasn't a problem because the water only drained but a different story when stopped. Believe me it was sort of a hassle getting the heavy boat and gear pulled up enough on the beach before it filled with water.

I will take my high quality plug any time.

Regards, Keith

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335159#p335159 said:
Keith1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:29 pm[/url]"]Troller,
I have a Gregor and the plug size is 5/8 inch for some reason. The only plug of that size that I could find was a plug for a bait tank and the hardware is not stainless. I tried one of these low quality plugs and it lasted a very short time.

I was fishing at Bahia San Luis Gongaza and thankfully was only about a mile or so from the beach when the plug came out the pin having been ate through from saltwater. While underway there wasn't a problem because the water only drained but a different story when stopped. Believe me it was sort of a hassle getting the heavy boat and gear pulled up enough on the beach before it filled with water.

I will take my high quality plug any time.

Regards, Keith

Was not "knockin" your plug in any way, i

Latest posts