Earthquake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
DId any of you folks in the Northeast feel the earthquake? Of course they are a more frequent occurrence here in the West, but a 4.8 magnitude would definitely get my attention.

Thankfully, from the news so far, no damage has been reported. .

Nothing here, but family in NJ, Manhattan, CT, and CNY did.

Back in 1985, living in a mobile home, woke up and cussed my wife for doing laundry in the middle of the night. :rolleyes: In the morning, found out it was an earthquake. And yes, it triggered a memory for her to mention it again. ;)

I'm down in Middle River Md and I felt it. I thought it was me just getting dizzy as it felt like I was moving. Then I looked at the wall and saw the picture frame moving. Realized it wasn't me. We sometimes feel the sock waves from Edgewood Arsenal firing, but this was not the same kind of movement.

I wonder how long before they blame these earth quakes on climate change ?
You're late to the party, they already did. I heard even the View said so! I'm in NJ, but was in Indiana the day it happened, no damage to my house, my sister called me to ask if I felt it. I laughed, she felt it, but it wasn't significant in out part of NJ, Directly across the Hudson from NYC.

I live very close to Trenton/Mercer airport and we're used to the jets rumbling us all the time. I was sitting at the computer when it started to rumble and didn't think it was a plane or truck so I went outside and you could tell it wasn't anything normal. I poked my head back inside and you could hear it and feel it better in the house. I think it lasted a good 40-60 seconds because I went in and out several times and it was still going. When I got back home around 6pm, I was going back outside to put my Bronco in the garage and felt/heard an aftershock that only lasted a couple of seconds. They said it was a 4.0 aftershock. Years ago, I was at the shore on vacation when the earthquake in VA occurred and we felt that pretty good on the barrier island. The deck I was sitting on began to sway back and forth pretty good. So I think I'm good with earthquakes at this point and don't need to experience any more.

DId any of you folks in the Northeast feel the earthquake? Of course they are a more frequent occurrence here in the West, but a 4.8 magnitude would definitely get my attention.

Thankfully, from the news so far, no damage has been reported. .
Which one, the Unalaska quake? I missed it.

We actually get a few quakes up here but, not as many big ones as Cali gets. A lot of the mountains around here are volcanoes and Yellowstone isn’t that far away so it makes me wonder what’s happening when a quake does occur.

About a year or so ago there was a single loud boom-explosion sound. They pinpointed the epicenter and it was maybe 90 miles away and several miles underground.

You're late to the party, they already did. I heard even the View said so! I'm in NJ, but was in Indiana the day it happened, no damage to my house, my sister called me to ask if I felt it. I laughed, she felt it, but it wasn't significant in out part of NJ, Directly across the Hudson from NYC.
The woman on the view said the earthquake and the eclipse and cicadas were caused by climate change. I can't believe people watch that garbage.

I live very close to Trenton/Mercer airport and we're used to the jets rumbling us all the time. I was sitting at the computer when it started to rumble and didn't think it was a plane or truck so I went outside and you could tell it wasn't anything normal. I poked my head back inside and you could hear it and feel it better in the house. I think it lasted a good 40-60 seconds because I went in and out several times and it was still going. When I got back home around 6pm, I was going back outside to put my Bronco in the garage and felt/heard an aftershock that only lasted a couple of seconds. They said it was a 4.0 aftershock. Years ago, I was at the shore on vacation when the earthquake in VA occurred and we felt that pretty good on the barrier island. The deck I was sitting on began to sway back and forth pretty good. So I think I'm good with earthquakes at this point and don't need to experience any more.
I'm an hour south of Trenton and I felt it here. It lasted for a good bit, long enough for me to walk around to see if someone was running a bulldozer or something nearby. It was more a vibration than movement. It felt like when you drive over rumble strips in a truck. I read it was something like 10:23 am or so but what I felt was after noon, closer to 1pm.

About 7 years ago we had something similar here, but that was more movement then vibration from the ground. The whole hose felt like it was moving, it knocked some things off the shelf here, mostly just books and stuff and I noticed a few hairline cracks in the plaster here and there.
I could feel this one more in the house than outside standing on the ground, the house seemed to amplify the vibration or something.

Which one, the Unalaska quake? I missed it.

We actually get a few quakes up here but, not as many big ones as Cali gets. A lot of the mountains around here are volcanoes and Yellowstone isn’t that far away so it makes me wonder what’s happening when a quake does occur.

About a year or so ago there was a single loud boom-explosion sound. They pinpointed the epicenter and it was maybe 90 miles away and several miles underground.

The biggest I've experience was Loma Prieta (1989). Measured 6.9 on the Richter scale. That is the one that collapsed a section of the SF bay bridge and pancaked the 880 freeway. That is bad but the Unalaska quake at 9.2 would be an incredibly larger energy release.

I just saw an update that said we've had 43+ aftershocks but most were under 2.0 so you wouldn't feel it. I know the 4.0 I heard/felt was only 3-5 seconds and I bet I wouldn't have noticed in the house or a business or car so I'm sure the lower ones I had no idea happened.

Ya, quakes are scary. I’ve been in buildings and seen solid steel flexing like plastic. It’s amazing that it held together.

I remember one quake that hit hard and just kept going hard for minute or two. My roommate ran through the screen door in his room. I just crouched down in the door frame of my room after it shook me out of bed. Woke up in the morning and opened the closet door to grab some clothing for work, there’s a prop and lower unit sticking through the wall. Apparently, the ski boat was moving around a bit.

Last edited:
The biggest I've experience was Loma Prieta (1989). Measured 6.9 on the Richter scale. That is the one that collapsed a section of the SF bay bridge and pancaked the 880 freeway. That is bad but the Unalaska quake at 9.2 would be an incredibly larger energy release.

I was there shortly after the quake for a couple of weeks. Could see the bay bridge from the hotel room and a lot of damage around the city. That was back in the days when SF was still a fun place to go. Now it’s a big homeless camp.

i didn't feel that one here in southern Maryland outside the DC Metro area. However, i was in the VA one a few years ago on the fifth floor of an eight floor government building. it started moaning and groaning and moving and shaking but remained standing with no damage or injuries
1712836650615.png

That garbage doesn't have to be watched as there are radio program and podcast hosts who find these clips as part of their jobs and they share them with us for comedic relief.
And in the process feeding bad information to some ignorant people that just want to be on the global warming bandwagon.