Finally got into some smallies. Old Abe Lake, WI

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkynathan

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do some "real" smallmouth fishing after a weekend this spring when I found some on Lake Francis Case in South Dakota. Now that I'm moved to Wisconsin and have a nearly unlimited source of lakes to try, I figured I'd give it a whirl this morning on the Chippewa River (Old Abe Lake).

Got up at 530, but had a little problem getting to the ramp because I missed a couple turns (never been there before). Weather was beautiful this morning. The fog hadn't lifted off the lake when I got there.

Fished YUM tubes almost all morning. Most were caught on a Texas rig, but I think the first one was on a tube with an internal jig casting from about 15 FOW. Had no luck with the Wounded Green Pumpkin but go into them when I switched to Black Neon. Ended up with a 13.5", 16.5", dink, 15", and another dink. No takers on cranks or T-rigged worms or craws. The bite died around 9:30.

Only have a crappy cell phone picture of the big one; I got to the ramp and found out my camera's battery was toast when I went to take a picture of the lake.

Going to hit another lake tonight, hopefully for some LMB.

Attachments

• 0824090821 (Large).jpg
    0824090821 (Large).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 130
way to go man... I'm still waiting to catch one of those - and I'm going to venture out into bigger waters when I get the motor for my boat

=D> =D> =D> WTG... Don't ya love those hard charging hard pulling high jumping never give up beautiful brown creatures....JIGGY