First Time 1988 Bass Tracker Pro 17 Restoration Attempt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsho69

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been looking on the forum and have finally decided to start restoring my 1988 Bass Tracker Pro 17. My two daughters really want to go fishing this year so its time. I have never done this so I am hoping you guys will give me some help and suggestions along the way. My basic thought was seats, flooring, replace any wet foam, carpet, repair console and replace guages, new batteries, new trolling motor, new switches, new power block and wiring if needed, new fish finder and maybe extending the deck back to the console and adding a rod box on the left side extending into the deck. This sounds like a lot of work. I have a budget of about $2000 so it will be tight. Here are some pics. I have already started demo.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 842
So the first thing I am not finding anywhere is the best way to remove the rivets. There are some that are really small like the ones in the dash board that hold on the trim and there are some that are bigger that hold on the seat brackets. What is the best way to remove them and what size do I need to buy to replace them?

The pop rivets that they use on most of the interior are really easy to remove , just use a drill bit a little bigger then the hole in the center
just drill till the head pops off - then you can use a small punch or nail and tap the rest out the back . As far as size , the interior of mine had several different sizes . So best just to measure your holes when you get them out .

No problem , I'm in the process of doing the twin to your boat . You got any leaks and cracks like me or just cleaning and refreshing?

There are no leaks or cracks that I know of but once I get it stripped down I will check it real good to make sure. The motor was running like a top the last time I used the boat (2 years ago) so hopefully it wont take much to get it back up and running.