Form a gasket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Additional question for a 69 55 hp Johnson.
I have removed the lower unit to service the water pump.
I was unable to save the gasket between the lower unit and exhaust housing ( I believe that is what it is called) Can I use some type of form a gasket or sealer or do I need to source or make a gasket?
Thank you for your assistance.
Bob

Hi Pappy
I did check with Andrew Menkart at Marine Engine and he was unable to find the gasket in his parts diagrams. I have not been able to find it in other parts resources I have looked. There is definitely a gasket there though and it looks factory cut. A little prettier than the one I will make ! I purchased some gasket material locally.
Thanks again for your help
Bob

Hi Pappy
I did check with Andrew Menkart at Marine Engine and he was unable to find the gasket in his parts diagrams. I have not been able to find it in other parts resources I have looked. There is definitely a gasket there though and it looks factory cut. A little prettier than the one I will make ! I purchased some gasket material locally.
Thanks again for your help
Bob

I do not see a gasket being called for there. That is the case in a lot of later engines. No need for one once the pump has primed. Up to you as it certainly will not hurt anything.

I don't know if this is of help in your situation, but I have 3 diff types of gasket material and most of the time make my own. Usually you can trace the old gasket or the housing. It helps to have a set of metal punches for the holes.

Thank you LaqueRatt
That is what I plan to do.
I did see an interesting YouTube video where some one used a Circut ( a small machine designed to cut shapes out of paper with a razor knife) to cut gaskets I am going to look into. My wife happens to already have a low end Cricut.