Grizzly 1448 Jet options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2rjs

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently found this forum searching for ideas for my 1448 Tracker Grizzly. I was considering a 25hp Mercury 4stroke but have read in posts below that this combination is lacking. However, my boat is only rated for 25 hp so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I run a 24volt trolling motor so I have 2 batteries in back so I would like to keep weight down if possible. Are there any 2 stroke options on the market currently? Thanks

They are heavy boats for their size, which doesn’t help with running a jet. The 25hp limit is very constraining, too. Add two trolling motor batteries and a starter, and fuel. Not sure if a good, used 2-stroke jet is going to perform well with it.

You don’t have allot of options to get the weight out. Maybe a single battery 55lb thrust trolling motor with Li battery.? I hate to say this, but It might be worth exploring a different hull for a jet.

I’m currently running a 9.9 4s. It’s slow but gets me up and down the river. Shoals and shallow rocks are my problem. Would the 25 jet not push it better? Or is there that much loss with the jet?

Also would it be possible to hook to one of the deep cycle batteries to start it or is a cranking battery a must?

I have a Merc F25 Jet. I pushes my Lowe 1448M around Ok but, it’s a heavy 196 pound motor. The F25 has a 30hp powerhead and a heavy pump. My boat needs podsto balance out with the F25 jet.

Your boat bare bones without rigging is a good 400 pound heavier than mine. Unless you need a jet for shallow water stick with a prop outboard. If you bought a Suzuki DF25A the weight is only 143 pounds with electric start. That’s over 50 pounds lighter than the F25 and you will get better performance from a prop.

It’s a 2000 Mercury 4 stroke 9.9. Shallow water is the issue I’m very limited to where I can go

I’m currently running a 9.9 4s. It’s slow but gets me up and down the river. Shoals and shallow rocks are my problem. Would the 25 jet not push it better? Or is there that much loss with the jet?
My son used my 18hp 2-stroke Nissan (prop) on his 1448 Grizzly. It performed ok and new owner was happy, but felt it needed the max of 25.

Even with a 30% larger power head, a jet doesn’t run like a prop. A 25 jet may work, but you going to have to loose some weight and move allot of it forward. A stick steer might be option to consider.

You will need to raise the transom or use a jack plate with a jet on that boat.

PS: Go to the OutboatdJets website. There is allot of technical info on what hulls to use, power/weight recommendations, and set-up and installation.

Last edited:
Also would it be possible to hook to one of the deep cycle batteries to start it or is a cranking battery a must?
I think that would cause some problems. Certainly would have uneven battery charging.

A 55lb on the bow should work well.

Looking at the website you suggested it looks like my boat would work. Unless I'm looking wrong, it appears the base weight of my boat is 360 lbs. It has a 20" transom so would a jack plate still be required?

For comparison, my DMI 1648 spec weight is 320lbs.

The graph is weight of everything, boat, motor, batteries, fuel, occupants.., Our 17’ CCJ and Yamaha 90/65, and everything came in at approx 2k lbs. if I remember correctly, the hp on the graph is powerhead, not the derated value.

I think even if you found a short shaft jet, you will still want a manual jack plate to fine tune it.

I was looking at a used 14’ Grizzly and I didn’t buy it because it was very well used, the price wasn’t that great and I thought it would be a dog with my F25 Jet pushing it. Sorry but, that’s my honest opinion with no sugar coating.

If you want a jet outboard and some better performance with that boat you may want to consider the Tohatsu MFS35JET. It’s 234 pounds, 38 pounds more than the F25 Jet. I can pretty much guarantee that your boat will need pods.

Use your best judgement, don’t over power your boat based on my advise. You will need to do the math to determine if modifying your boat with pods will support this motor. You may also need additional transom support.

If by chance you live anywhere near eastern Washington I’d be happy to mount my F25 Jet on your boat so we can give it a try.

Edit: Just saw that you live in VA.

Last edited:
It’s a 2000 Mercury 4 stroke 9.9. Shallow water is the issue I’m very limited to where I can go
Ok, the F25 Jet would be quicker than the 9.9 but, you would probably still need pods due to the weight and size of boat. You should really try to find someone in your area that has a small jet and ask them to take you for a ride. At least that would give you a better idea of what you are getting into.

Looking at the website you suggested it looks like my boat would work. Unless I'm looking wrong, it appears the base weight of my boat is 360 lbs. It has a 20" transom so would a jack plate still be required?
According to the Tracker website, the 1448 is 562 lbs avg dry weight (I'm not sure what that really means) but that is a heavy hull, it looks like some of the older hulls are lighter so it depends on what year your boat is. My Lowe 1652 is listed around 425 lbs but my boat has the floor, sides and console so I'm guessing it's at least 475-500. I have a 60/45 2 stroke jet and with 3 people it's just enough. I bet with the weight of your boat and a 25 jet, you'd be screaming full throttle with just 1 person. You may want to verify the weight (or even have it weighed) before you make any changes. And even with the jet, you're probably going to want power trim so you don't whack the foot in the shallow areas.

Last edited:
The Trackers are built like tanks. From what I could tell they are using a thick layer of foam between the hull and sides. Perhaps the foam adds some structural value but, I think this is also one reason why they are so heavy. Floatation is important but, it seems like they went overboard if they are using it only for flotation.

Jeff, do you have any idea what your 60/45 2 stroke weighs?

Ok, I really appreciate all the info. Sounds like I wold be best off just keeping he prop, maybe selling the whole rig, and keeping an eye out for a better hull.

Ok, I really appreciate all the info. Sounds like I wold be best off just keeping he prop, maybe selling the whole rig, and keeping an eye out for a better hull.

I think the Grizzly has it‘s place but, maybe not when you are looking for a minimal draft. It‘s actually a well laid out boat and with all that foam it’s unlikely to sink. The guy that had the used Griz that I looked at was using it to fish the Columbia river. Durability and safety were probably high on on his list.

If you do decide to sell it talk to some local guys that fish similar waters before buying another boat. They can probably give you the best advice on works for the rivers in your area. I’ve burned through a few boats in past couple of years trying to find what works best for my situation. I doubt if I have the perfect solution but, there’s a point when you just have to make it work.

I thought my 60/45 Merc was around 210 lbs with manual tilt but I added ptt so I'm sure it's a it more than that now. The newer 60/40 4 stroke jets are 4 cyl and weigh around 267 so the older 2 stroke 3 cyl are quite a bit lighter.

What I noticed on the Grizzly 1448 was the floor was very thick metal. I assume done to minimize floor supports. The whole cockpit adds a bit of weight.

I thought my 60/45 Merc was around 210 lbs with manual tilt but I added ptt so I'm sure it's a it more than that now. The newer 60/40 4 stroke jets are 4 cyl and weigh around 267 so the older 2 stroke 3 cyl are quite a bit lighter.

Jeff,
That’s not bad at all compared to four stroke weights. I have a two stroke 115 Evinrude (prop) on my bigger boat. It goes like heck but some parts are hard to find, if not unavailable. Looking at a similar weight four stroke would be a 90 hp.

Last edited: