Help with old Sea King trailer hub please...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrik

Reaction score
Time to part with the old boat, and to do that I need to get the trailer rolling. It is a 60's vintage Sea King (Wards) trailer, and I have never seen anything like the hubs on these wheels.

trailer wheel.JPG

They are 4.00/4.80 x 8.00 wheels, with no visible bolts. There is something hemispherical that I assumed was a dust cover over the end of the axle, with a zerk fitting mounted in the end of it. When I try to remove the zerk fitting, it comes right out. The "nut" that the zerk fitting is mounted in then comes loose, but it remains attached to what looks like a bolt that extends back into the thing that looks like a dust cover and remains captive - that "bolt" won't pull out and won't unscrew - it just turns.

The thing that looks like a dust cover appears to be very solid when tapped with a hammer, not sheet metal like a dust cover, and it won't pry off. There isn't any obvious way to unscrew the thing that looks like a dust cover either.

Anyone seen anything like this? I need help figuring out how to remove the wheel so I can either replace the entire wheel, or at least rebuild the hubs and bearings.

Thanks much!

Now that's interesting, I've never seen one like it. Maybe put a strap wrench around it and see if it unscrews or moves. Otherwise I would think it needs to come off like a dust cover

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324621#p324621 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls » 02 Aug 2013, 17:29[/url]"]Now that's interesting, I've never seen one like it. Maybe put a strap wrench around it and see if it unscrews or moves. Otherwise I would think it needs to come off like a dust cover

I've gone after it like it was a dust cover (the hemispherical thing), using both a screw driver and a putty knife. Neither one would budge it, even when a hammer was used to drive the tool into the gap.

Do you think it is possible that it unscrews? There is no sign that it does - it is completely smooth without any way to get a purchase on it with a pliers or wrench...

Try the strap wrench. The way a strap wrench works is the more pressure you apply the tighter it grips.

Latest posts